To hear Republicans tell it, the protests against Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposals have been organized by "union thugs." Professional troublemakers from big labor are pulling the strings to advance their self-serving agenda. In reality, many of the activists are ordinary citizens suddenly politicized by Walker's approach. With no experience serving as leaders of a mass uprising, they've found creative ways to make themselves useful since the protests began in February.
Out of hundreds of stories, here are nine.
- The Promoter, Tag Evers
- The T-Shirt Maker, Lisa Marine
- The Twitter Revolutionary, Jenni Dye
- The Businessman, Brad Werntz
- The Foreigner, Itay Gabay
- The Conductor, R. Chris Reeder
- The Artist, Samuel Johnson
- The Students' Rep, Erika Wolf
- The Mixer, Nick Nice