MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Urrrahhaa!!! ..., urrahhaa!!!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Urrrahhaa!!! ..., urrahhaa!!!

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:53 pm

I did not know that tortoises could vocalize, but I found this out today when we headed into the herpetarium at the Vilas Zoo. Upon stepping in we all heard some kind of "roaring" and I wondered what was going on as, any local should understand, the lions are not near. They were not, there were two tortoises having plain and simple sex. It was stunning and uncomfortable, as the 4 to 8 year old cohort of visitors were asking questions.
I found this interesting as the most alarming displays I have witnessed by these creatures in the last 25 years has been been a) them eating veg out of a bowl, b) standing in their own pee, and c) just generally, well, standing.
So, this "Urrrahhaa, urrahhaa!!!" thing is going on for the full twenty five or so minutes we are exploring the herpetarium and I get to thinking about the nature of the tortoise.
They can live a long time,
I often thought how boring a life.
I suspect that the tortoise finds intense interest in more mundane activities, they just are not so vocal about it.
-MH

p.s. Thanks for the collective efforts of the Vilas Zoo, Dane County, the city of Madison, the UW, and the many private companies and individuals of Madison/Dane county/ Wi/ USA that make this wonder real.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Urrrahhaa!!! ..., urrahhaa!!!

Postby ralphie w » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Ditto your P.S.. Make sure to catch the kookaburras lunch time--is it LIVE mice??
ralphie w

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 pm

"Tortoise Shout" - D.H. Lawrence

And more than all these,
And less than all these,
This last,
Strange, faint coition yell
Of the male tortoise at extremity,
Tiny from under the very edge of the farthest far-off horizon of life.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 pm

In regards to the boring live of the tortoise I have never been to Vilas when they were NOT humping like mad. Maybe that;s how they get through the slow days.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Missed the tortoise sex so far. However, I can check off "tiger eating recently-caught squirrel" and "orangutan drinking his own pee" on my list.

The primate house in particular is a truly amazing place to sit and reflect on damn near everything related to humanity.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 pm

ilikebeans wrote:The primate house in particular is a truly amazing place to sit and reflect on damn near everything related to humanity.

'Tis true.
I expect that is why the primate house at the HVZ has been so carefully managed over the last half decade.
I appreciate this level of stewardship.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe