MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walking dogs in the rain

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Walking dogs in the rain

Postby narcoleptish » Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm

In a short time today I bet I saw a dozen dog walkers, out plodding along in the muck, neither animal seeming too thrilled with the situation. I don't get it? I don't think most dogs care for the rain and would be just fine with a quick pee in the yard and then back to some warm dry spot in the house.

I've lived with six dogs in my life and though memories of the first one are fuzzy, I can say with a lot of certainty that the other five had no interest in being out in the rain. If I opened the back door in the morning, when I know they needed to go out, and it was raining, they would look outside, look at me like I was nuts, and turn back into the house.

Do these people feel like the dog absolutely has to have its walk, or is the walk really for them and the dog just gets dragged along? Do they really enjoy that wet-dog smell that then gets transferred to many places in your house?

While I love the idea of a carefree walk in the rain, in reality it just isn't that great and I think your dog might agree with me.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walking dogs in the rain

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 09, 2013 4:27 pm

My dog gets two walks a day. If it's real real cold, they are short (like to the neighbor's driveway and back) and if it's real hot he gets tired so we only go around the block. But mild-to-moderate rain doesn't bother him at all. If it's pouring, he goes maybe to the corner and turns around and drags me home. But on a nice day my lucky dog gets the Short Loop, which is 3/4 mile, or even the Long Loop, which is around 1 1/4 miles. Makes us both nicer people.

Dogs don't just go outside to pee, they also like to sniff around, see whether their friends have come by, and of course poop. We don't come home until he does that.

He gets his choice in all this -- it's his walk, not mine. And he gets as bored as I would if he's inside too much. (He can't stay alone in the yard -- he's a barker and a fence-digger-under.)

If it's a simple rain not a downpour, he never gets wet inside his coat. It all stays on the top layer. I can towel him off and the fuzzy interior insulation coat is still dry. He's pretty waterproof. Not all dogs have that kind of coat so he is lucky.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:56 pm

If our 10 month old Lab doesn't get a good romp, we don't get a good night's sleep.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, harnessing the energy of 10-month old labs could help us shutter all the coal plants.

I'm secretly shamed by all of you dedicated daily dog walkers.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 am

narcoleptish wrote:Do these people feel like the dog absolutely has to have its walk, or is the walk really for them and the dog just gets dragged along? Do they really enjoy that wet-dog smell that then gets transferred to many places in your house?

I prefer "that wet-dog smell" to that fresh dog urine/dog feces potpourri that can result from the dog not getting his outdoor time. But yeah, for some dog walkers it might well be more about them than about the dog, just as for some participants in various exercise endeavors like biking or running, it's possibly as much about the gadgetry and snappy outfits as it is about the exercise. If that's a figment of my paranoid imagination, which it very well could be, then the same could be true of Narco's assertion about dog-walking.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am

Is just letting the dog out in the yard on a rainy day not an option? I ask because I've never had a problem with them going in the house for lack of an actual walk. We're also lucky enough to have a decent size fenced yard complete with squirrels and rabbits.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 10, 2013 9:50 am

narcoleptish wrote:Is just letting the dog out in the yard on a rainy day not an option? .. We're also lucky enough to have a decent size fenced yard complete with squirrels and rabbits.

Yeah, not everyone has one of those.

As my grandmother might say, what are you, made of sugar? Get out there and walk the dog.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 am

Well, it is like this;

Dogs are like people to the extent that they are not all the same. They are conditioned to like or not like things.

I have a beagle who is perfectly happy to be out in the rain, but absolutely hates the snow. I had a border collie who just loved being out in either as long as she wasn't alone (Note, I live in the country on a seculded 20 acres more than a 1/4 mile from the road). If I let her out alone in bad weather to do her business, she would come right back in, but would stay out for hours if I was with her. Beagle--same thing but absolutely hates the snow whenever it rubs on his belly. Will come right back in unless I accompany him outside.

Can't do that in the city, but works well in the country.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I don't get it? I don't think most dogs care for the rain and would be just fine with a quick pee in the yard and then back to some warm dry spot in the house.

I bet the concept of an "outside dog" just blows your mind. Used to be a fairly common occurrence way back when - the dog was tied up or fenced in and NEVER came in the house. Still probably common on farms.

I dunno, I view dogs more like animals who are not phased as much by weather compared to people (at least those breeds with a coat). But I also prefer walking/jogging/biking/exercising in the rain compared to working out in a nice warm dry gym or heath club so maybe I am the oddball?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat May 11, 2013 8:25 pm

My father grew up with a tradition of hunting squirrels when it was raining, and he extolled the virtues of a good squirrel dog. He claimed that during a light fall rain, both the squirrels and the dog were quiet, frisky, and in their element. The dog would zero in on the squirrel, tree it, and track it if it moved – but would always stay silent.

My neighbors' dogs, on the other hand, seem to have no purpose but to bark as if they were trying to expel their lungs. Sadly, they never do.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All