MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby Kovalic » Mon May 24, 2010 10:32 am

Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ has opened up on the west side, at 7475 Mineral Point Rd (in the space that used to be Frugal Muse, I believe).

It's a huge area, and when I walked past it on my way to Westfield Comics, it appears to be open.

http://www.bbqatlas.com/node/818

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/pork ... son-220607

Apparently, they moved here from Hawkins, up by Ladysmith...
Kovalic

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby PorkyPinePete » Thu May 27, 2010 2:23 am

Howdy, Porky Pine Pete here,

Yup, you are right, we are open and, I might add we are serving up great BBQ. Check out our face book page and you will see under reviews what people are saying. We have seen a lot of serious BBQ fans and we are proud to say ... they love us!

Wish you would have stopped in when you visited Westfield Comics, our good neighbors. They like us too and we like them!

Real BBQ is on the West Side, we like to think of our customers as family, so come on in, pull up a chair and make yourself to home. We're not fancy, come as you are, that's a personal invite ...
Y'all come y'all
PPP
PorkyPinePete

Postby massimo » Thu May 27, 2010 11:02 am

Fantastic. My hopes for the BBQ place with the big sign were never that high, given who was running the show (and my expectations were met).

Can't wait to try your stuff, PPP.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Smoked cheesecake, eh? Hmm.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu May 27, 2010 1:48 pm

PorkyPinePete wrote:Howdy, Porky Pine Pete here,

Yup, you are right, we are open and, I might add we are serving up great BBQ. Check out our face book page and you will see under reviews what people are saying. We have seen a lot of serious BBQ fans and we are proud to say ... they love us!

Wish you would have stopped in when you visited Westfield Comics, our good neighbors. They like us too and we like them!

Real BBQ is on the West Side, we like to think of our customers as family, so come on in, pull up a chair and make yourself to home. We're not fancy, come as you are, that's a personal invite ...
Y'all come y'all
PPP

I just wanted to say how much I appreicate a post like this (and the guy from Jeni's Ice Creams) as opposed to the anonymous posts from someone posing to be unrelated to the business in question but obviously is an employee or owner.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PorkyPinePete » Thu May 27, 2010 2:49 pm

Howdy! PPP here,

We'll be makin' up a batch of Smoked Cheesecake on Monday, (we'll be closed Monday for Memorial Day), right now I am out of it until Tuesday when we open up. This is the cheesecake that Food Network contacted us about being on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives! They were filming this Spring, we weren't open yet, wonderin' if we will see them in the future? Hope so! It is a subtle smoke to enhance the flavor and we hope you will stop by and try it! Tasty!

We would be obliged if any of you would pass the word on about us, with so much talk about another BBQ place we seem to have been missed in the hoopla, we are small, just a family run joint, but we know BBQ. We're proud of what we do and puttin' our name to it is just the way we run.

Thanks, and ... Y'all come, hear!

PPP
PorkyPinePete

Postby raw-tracks » Thu May 27, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey PPP, I was wondering if you have plans for entertainment at your place. It's certainly big enough and might help draw people in. I did not notice if you had beer/liquor. What you're situation there?

I was in there on Tuesday for lunch and found your place refreshing. I'll definitely be back for lunch and probably carry out dinner on occasion as well.

If you don't mind me askin', what prompted the move to Madison? Just curious if it was to take the business to another level, or other.

I wish you the best of luck!
raw-tracks
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 pm

RUN do not walk to this joint!

We just got back from there and I had the best pulled pork dinner I've ever had in Madison, maybe anywhere.

Walked in, the place was huge and nearly empty, but I was immediately enveloped in that smokehouse smell. Fantastic.

Seriously a family business, seemed like it was just a dad and his daughter working. Service was extremely casual and minimal, the whole place is bare bones but in a sweet and homey way.

Food took a little while to arrive but when it did I took one bite of the pork and knew I was in BBQ heaven.

The kids are pretty crabby when it comes to BBQ but they both cleaned their plates (kids ribs and kids pork)

Wife's pork sandwich was piled high, and we were both amazed at how moist and tender and flavorful all the meat was.

If there's any justice in the world, brickhouse will fade away and this place will start packin' em in.

did i mention my dinner roll was FRIED?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PorkyPinePete » Thu May 27, 2010 9:07 pm

Howdy again!

Thank y'all for coming!

Down the road we are hoping we will be able to add some interesting entertainment. We do carry beer and wine, We have Spotted Cow, seems fittin' for a place that serves brisket! Supper Club is on tap too. We have one tap open, tryin' to decide what should go there ... suggestions? Then we have Wisconsin's own root beer on tap, Sprechers. We got some wine samples in today, so ... have to see what goes good with Q and go from there. Full liquor license, that is possible and something we have thought about for a long time. As long as y'all remember we are a Q Joint first and foremost. BBQ, Family, and Fun, a good combination.

You probably don't know this but PPP started out in a mobile trailer in Park Falls WI. We sold out at Flambeaurama, a festival, on a daily basis, and the crowd hooted and hollared at us cuz they wanted our Q! For two years we traveled the North of Wisconsin, teaching people about good Q, meetin' folks and havin' a right good time of it! We even visited old Famous Dave in his own town of Hayward. People wondered why we were there, they come to find out just why, we knew BBQ.

So, next thing we knew we had bought us a real restaurant in the little town of Hawkins. People didn't quite know what to make of us. Then we became something of an attraction. People were proud of their little local restaurant and brought in family folk when they were in town. We kept hearing, come to Janesville, come to Burlington, come to Eau Claire, and on and on, and Madison was in there too son. Well it came to be that the gas station across the road from us in Hawkins needed to move due to a road issue, they asked if we would sell, and life is tough up in the NorthWoods, so we thought why not, time to move on and spread the BBQ to a place that really needed it and we could share it with more folks. Hawkins is a pretty small place... about 320 people. But over the years, we have seen folks from all over the country and even all over the world .. South Africa, England, Poland, France, USSR and so on. Now that might sound like a tall tale to y'all, but I have a guest book with all their names and the places they call home in it. A heap of our customers are from Madison and near abouts. So, when we found out y'all needed a good Q Joint on the west side, we pointed our truck south, and here we are.

Now we just have to get the word out that we are here. We are really pleased y'all like our BBQ. This is our craft, so we take pride in it, try to make each meal somethin' special. We might run a bit slow now and then, we have some kinks to work out in this new place, but we're hopin' you think it is worth the wait until we get right in step. Sometimes we have somethin' new to try out on y'all, that's a bonus for y'all! But like I said, we think of y'all as family, so if we mess up, make a mistake, we'll try our darndest to make it up to you. And we love the little partners, so bring em along.

Not sure I answered everyone's questions, but I will read all those nice things you said again and fill in any blanks.

I'm Porky Pine Pete, my little partner is Miss. Patrick, and Cookie is out in the kitchen, that's the wife.

Thanks again!

I will leave you with what has become my motto ...
Y'all come back now ... hear!
PorkyPinePete

Postby Average Joe » Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm

My interest is piqued, Porky Pine Pete. I'm usually not charmed by a folksy line, but your business sounds genuine and if the food is good, well damn I love me some sticky finger BBQ. And that smoked cheesecake just sounds so very interesting, I must investigate. Thanks for visiting the forum Porky Pine Pete!
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MagPie » Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 pm

My husband and I tried Porky Pine Pete's for dinner tonight, too. We each had the smaller of the 3-meat combo plates (and it was still a LOT of food). Ribs, pork, and brisket were all good. Probably the best BBQ I've had since being in Texas 4-5 years ago. The meats were even better dipped in the cowboy beans. The sauce from the beans should be bottled. The other side dishes were all good, too, (well, I can't speak for the mashed potatoes, because they were all out) but the beans were the best. The french fries and the dinner roll were even good dipped in the beans. They also have fried green tomatoes as an appetizer (which were quite good), and I don't recall seeing those on any other menus in or around Madison. We'll definitely go back.

depinmad wrote:did i mention my dinner roll was FRIED?

Genius! And delicious.
MagPie

Postby rebelpiper » Thu May 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Got back from this place a couple of hours ago. This thread tipped me off that this place was open. I had been keeping an eye since I noticed "bbq" and "Mineral Point Rd" on an Alcohol review meeting article a bit ago. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the smell of smoked meat. mmmm... I got the trio dinner of ribs, beef brisket, and pulled pork. To be honest, I didn't put sauce on anything. They offered a couple of Sweet Baby Ray's sauces, but I was more interested in tasting the meat. I wasn't disappointed. Juicy and tender. Hard to describe right now as I'm so full.

As far as the establishment, it's quite large and casual. It would make a good place for a bluegrass jam/country band/whatever music? When we went, my wife and I went right to the bar, but I believe it was a seat yourself situation. To me, it came across as "a man and his smoker". If you're here, you're here because you want good bbq. As a backyard bbq'er, I admit I was a bit jealous. :)

Whether this place succeeds or not, I have no idea. I just highly doubt that someone that just plain loves bbq will say the visit wasn't worth it.
rebelpiper

Postby rebelpiper » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 am

MagPie wrote:We each had the smaller of the 3-meat combo plates (and it was still a LOT of food).

haha, I got the large. I hurt so much and I still have another meal waiting for me in my to go box. I definitely could have gotten by with the small. :wink:
rebelpiper

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 am

Not to be too snarky, but do Wisconsinites up Nort' really say y'all?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 28, 2010 9:54 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Not to be too snarky, but do Wisconsinites up Nort' really say y'all?

I think that's kind of the point. Seems to me it's just the enthusiastic affectation of regular (non-corporate-type) people who are really into Q.

I think Average Joe nailed exactly what I was saying with my wife about PPP yesterday, in fact:

Average Joe wrote:My interest is piqued, Porky Pine Pete. I'm usually not charmed by a folksy line, but your business sounds genuine and if the food is good, well damn I love me some sticky finger BBQ. And that smoked cheesecake just sounds so very interesting, I must investigate. Thanks for visiting the forum Porky Pine Pete!
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues