MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Barry going back to Notre Dame?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Is barry going to ND?

Yes
18%
No
82%
Barry who?
No votes

Total votes : 11

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:01 pm

shelly wrote:what kind of values was he raised with if he thinks putting a live animal in a microwave is ok?

So that somehow makes Barry unqualified to be a football coach/athletic director? Don't blame the dad for dipshit actions of the son.

I'll admit to some skepticism over Alvarez's selection as AD last year, but he's done an admirable job so far. I'm especially impressed that Alvarez has surrounded himself with strong and capable people and he's not afraid to give them frequent and public credit. That's often a failing of people interested in amassing power to pump their egos. The athletic department has undertaken a huge project in refurbishing Camp Randall and, to Alvarez's credit, the taxpayers will bear almost no burden. The costs associated with a top-flight football program ought to be paid by football supporters, and it seems like they are. The suites sold out in record time, thanks to the prestige Alvarez brought to the program and, in the end, he gave much of the credit to his associates.

Barry might not be the kind of guy you'd like to invite over for margaritas and Euchre, but he's a capable administrator and a great program builder. My beefs with football Saturdays have much more to do with chump fans than the UW ath. dept.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:
shelly wrote:what kind of values was he raised with if he thinks putting a live animal in a microwave is ok?

So that somehow makes Barry unqualified to be a football coach/athletic director? Don't blame the dad for dipshit actions of the son.

No, I didn't mean he was unqualified, just that it left me unable to be excited about him. Just as people are talking about "cleaner" vs "slimier" coaches on a professional ethics level, I think someone's personal values also do come into play a bit.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:39 pm

What's probably most at fault is an assistant football coach's ability to spend serious, quality time at home throughout his career. Barry was pretty much gunning from the start, through his years at Iowa, Notre Dame and Wisconsin. That kind of lifestyle doesn't really lend itself to being around the house a lot, providing a day-to-day role model.

I suppose that's a value. It's also reality for kids growing up in families where mom and/or dad has made building a career a very high priority. Alvarez didn't get to where he is by bailing out of the office earlyl to do jigsaw puzzles with his kids. I might be wrong, but I bet I'm not.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gr0upie » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:53 pm

jjoyce wrote:... margaritas and Euchre...

8)
gr0upie
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:33 pm

Alvarez won't leave UW for ND. If Urban Meyer turned down the Dome for the Gators, then there is something undesirable about that opening. Things like:

1. Who's running the program? Obviously not the coach. Go 6-5 and you're out, even if you haven't had a chance to bring in four years' worth of your own players.

2. ND's administration believes it can regain national champion stature while admitting only athletes that meet its (supposedly) high academic criteria. Of course, this never presented an impediment when ND won its last championship under Lou Holtz (anyone remember Tony Rice? I know a few others on that team who wouldn't have been admitted to the U. of Indiana, much less ND). You can win under these conditions, but not compete for a national championship every year. There's a reason why Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Stanford haven't won one in football.

3. ND is no longer the place for kids to play. Used to be that the finest football players came from the industrial midwest- from Illinois through Pennsylvania- and just about any of these kids would die to play at ND. While there are still many good players from this region, now the best players come from CA, TX, FL and other places south. These kids don't want to come to a small, cold, snowy town in Indiana to play football; they want to play in Gainesville or Miami or LA, or at least somewhere where they can be showcased for the NFL.

4. ND refuses to join a conference. Even though ND still has the pull to get its own TV deal, not playing in a conference (and thus not playing for a conference championship and an automatic BCS bid) means they have to schedule better teams than they would have to play if in a conference. Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Southern Cal? You can beat some of those teams, even most, but if you want to win the whole enchilada, you need to win them all. Not gonna happen too often. Winning them all is easier if you have a Vandy, an Illinois, a Duke or an Arizona on the schedule.

ND will get Tom Clements, and he will be a fine coach. But so was Tyrone Willingham.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:11 am

buckyor wrote: ND is no longer the place for kids to play.

I agree. Notre Dame has been, in the past, a place of tradition, but since Lou Holtz, they've been nothing but a lame duck. As of right now, I'd say Wisconsin is more respectable and has more tradition(currently) than Notre Dame. In my mind, tradition is something that keeps on going, year after year, and Notre Dame just doesn't have it right now. They hired some bad coaches that have made ND a much less desirable place for players, and obviously new coaches.
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:14 am

i heard Urban Meyer say he didn't want to go there because the student grade requirements were too hard. I'm sure he'll find them more to is liking at FLA.

Barry's kid stuck his roommates' pet parrot in the microwave. and it wasn't even beer-battered first.
Last edited by Paco on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:15 am

shelly wrote:No, I didn't mean he was unqualified, just that it left me unable to be excited about him. Just as people are talking about "cleaner" vs "slimier" coaches on a professional ethics level, I think someone's personal values also do come into play a bit.

Who thinks he's a slimy coach, other than you? Alvarez is a very well-respected coach, which is quite obvioius when is frequently mentioned when the best coaching jobs in the country open up(including NFL). I don't remember him going to bat for his son when all of that shit went down, so I don't know where you're coming up with this.
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking