MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Shut Up!

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Shut Up!

Postby Donald » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Can we all agree that the one thing we need relief from is the patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives that pass for the ever changing "truth" on the right?

Take a look at what I hope is the last of the braying of Teabagger Teddy Boy Cruz (R-Crazy). "Unfortunately, once again, it appears the Washington establishment is refusing to listen to the American people. The deal that has been cut provides no relief to the millions of Americans who are hurting because of Obamacare. The deal that has been cut provides no relief to all the young people coming out of school who can't find a job because of Obamacare. It provides no relief to all the single parents who have been forced into part-time work, struggling to feed their kids on 29 hours a week."

I have my problems with the "Washington establishment," too, but Teddy Boy is a part of the "Washington establishment." How can he not understand that?

People like Teddy Boy tend simultaneously to put on a Superman costume while trying to associate with "the folks," as another nut (Bill O'Reilly) calls us ordinary (white) people. I put "white" in parentheses because in the world of the white Teabaggers, those are the only "folks" that ought to count (vote).

And as far as not listening to the American people (I'm talking here about all the people, minorities and women included), I think that pretty much describes Teddy Boy's last two weeks of existence. Listening to the white "Values" folks and the barely literate white racist right is a very small sliver of "the American people." I'm not sure which "young people" or "single parents" he claims to be referring to. Most of the "Values" folks he tried to rally this week (rather than doing his job) hate 90 percent of the "young people" and "single parents" he tried (and failed) to associate himself with in his disgustingly defiant surrender speech.

I know he's just trying to make it seem to these (white) folks that he didn't lose, and that he will don his Superman cape again down the road. Let's hope not. Let's hope these folks just shut the fuck up for a change. They have nothing of value to add to the discussion.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shut Up!

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:23 pm

+1
Bump
"Like"
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Everyone knows when these guys are talking about "the American People" they only mean conservatives. The rest of us aren't "real Americans" or did you learn nothing from Sarah Palin?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:06 pm

#disgraceful
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:#disgraceful

I have to agree that Cruz is pretty disgraceful.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:23 pm

The Republicans are only exploiting the openings the Dems gave them. The White House and congressional Democrats made the decision to go for piecemeal private insurance reform rather than wholesale public health care reform and the human right to health care.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I would have hoped Ned would have been a little more creative. Conservatives in the 1980s and 1990s had some interesting ideas, some of which turned out to be duds, but some ended up being championed by Democrats.

Trying to be even-handed here, one thing I sort of have some sympathy for is conservative's frustration with the inability of Congress to deal with real or perceived problems. I mean there are some tangents that deserve to be ignored (Benghazi). But everyone knows there are improvements that can be made in every federal program, yet they don't articulate anything. I guess conservative keep doing the same things over and over because they've got nothing, nothing at all of value to advance.

What happened to the conservative movement that it got dumbed down to the point where it is incapable of putting out anything of value to address these problems? All they've got is some hashtag, like Ned's, that means nothing. They don't like Obamacare. They say, "repeal and replace." Fine. What's your healthcare plan?

The truth is Republicans don't have a plan for health care, or rather it is what Rep. Allen Grayson said it was, "Die now." On the other hand, Democrats don't seem have a plan to shore up Medicare and Social Security, or if they do, they don't articulate it, and they leave the Republicans room to scare people into stupid privatization schemes.

I'm tired of our leaders "kicking the can down the road" on every issue of importance--climate change, immigration, shoring up Medicare and Social Security. Shit or get off the pot.

So, "Shut up!" to all of you, stop taking vacations where all you do is meet with the moneyboys and do the work you were sent to do.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Donald wrote:Can we all agree that the one thing we need relief from is the patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives that pass for the ever changing "truth" on the right?

Ned Flanders wrote:#disgraceful

Not disgraceful at all. What we need is "relief from is the patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives" from both sides.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Sandi wrote:What we need is "relief from is the patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives" from both sides.

Yeah, Sandi. The problem with that advice is that you, more than any other poster on this board, post patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives every time you post.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:23 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rig ... t/?hpid=z4

Jennifer Rubin is the Washington Post's conservative columnist and 99% of the time I think she's writing from some other planet. (We've discussed her on the forum already.)

A few days ago, she did an about-face and suddenly quit praising the right wing. Today, she's got a list of what "we" should be learning from the whole debacle, and who in particular are the losers -- a list of five -- in terms of maintaining a viable narrative. And she identifies a small sixth group she says the Republican party ought to be listening to now and should have listened to earlier.

I can't tell you where she was before, but her conclusions today are pretty clear.

She's *your* columnist, Sandi. You really ought to read what she has to say. She writes the following, from inside the Republican party not as an outsider:
The party needs to steer clear of charlatans, stop disregarding evidence of what actual voters want and figure out how to advance their policy goals and electoral interests.

Read it all, and tell us whether you think her version of a viable narrative and sustainable information-and-data-based party makes sense or not. (And if not, why not.)
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:48 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Sandi wrote:What we need is "relief from is the patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives" from both sides.

Yeah, Sandi. The problem with that advice is that you, more than any other poster on this board, post patently false and endlessly contradictory narratives every time you post.

Translation: I often disagree with you.

Instead of both sides of an argument needing to strive to be better, only those that disagree with you.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Sandi wrote:
pjbogart wrote:

Translation: I often disagree with you.

No Sandi, the translation is "Sandi often posts information that is provably false."

A corollary is "Sandi rarely responds to proofs that information she posted is false."

Yeah, you disagree with people. You also post false stuff. Regularly.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 pm

The false equivalency that both sides acted in the same regard is laughable and the majority of Americans recognize this fact. The only ones who are clinging to that fallacious narrative are the nihlist cheerleaders of destruction of the TEA Party that are either insane, in denial, or trying to justify the damage they inflicted on our country.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 pm

In their case, "false" just means they don't agree with it.

Example:

"We are winning this argument because the American people are behind us."

Numerous polls: Your support has fallen to around 20%.

"False. We're winning this argument because we said we were."

But it's over, at least for this round. Just as at the end of the Romney campaign, the reality-deniers are left hanging and it's up to them to decide how to deal with it.

The events of the past few weeks are part of American history now. We saw it, we lived through it, and it was a big, big deal. Books will be written, not next week but in a few decades (if anyone still reads books then). A kind of parliamentary coup was attempted, and it failed. The rule of law and the constitution were tested, and we can see where adjustments need to be made so we don't keep going through this indefinitely. We'll revisit it in January regardless.

I have seen some interesting proposals tossed up tonight. One was that states elect their House representatives in an at-large manner not by district, which would eliminate the effect of gerrymandering. This would not require any constitutional amendment, as I understand it. The observation all this traces back to Citizens United has been registered, and we can see where that leads as far as new legislation.

We'll see more of this in the weeks to come, and we should. The country needs some discussion time. For now, we just need to take a minute to appreciate what a near miss we -- and by that I mean the global economy, not any single political party or even the country as a whole -- just had.

Our own economy is going to take a sizeable hit due to this stupidness, even though it didn't reach full impact. Billions of dollars that should have gone into circulation did not, and that will not be without consequence.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:...
But it's over, at least for this round. Just as at the end of the Romney campaign, the reality-deniers are left hanging and it's up to them to decide how to deal with it....

And the way they will deal with it is to deny reality. They are already concocting multiple universes in which we will all get sucked in denying. And they have a short few months to come back at it again.

There comes a point where the reality deniers start to create the reality for the rest of us. Many of these people actually believe that the United States needs to be destroyed. We laugh at Michelle Bachman's prophesies that we are in "The End Times." It's not funny to me. They can barely contain their contempt for American values, and American democracy. If they ever gain any more power than they already have, American democracy is done.

At some point we really have to confront these people. Winning a couple months reprieve at Teabag budget levels isn't much of a victory. Don't kid yourself that these people have "learned" anything. Their goal isn't to win elections. It's to grab power.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government