MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Speed traps and threatening stances

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Speed traps and threatening stances

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 pm

I was a passenger in a car this morning coming under Monona Terrace. I was staring at the dark wall zipping by when I suddenly focused on a man pointing a gun at our car. Or at least what looked exactly like a man standing in the shadows, on the edge of the road, in a typical handgun-aiming stance, possibly about to open fire.

Knowing Madison's usual speed trap locations I immediately knew it was a cop with a radar gun but I couldn't help but wonder how many people get freaked out by this sight, especially in todays world of frequent random gunman attacks.

What would be the reaction if a regular citizen stood on the road pointing a small dark object at traffic?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Speed traps and threatening stances

Postby baked goods » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I couldn't help but wonder how many people get freaked out by this sight, especially in todays world of frequent random gunman attacks.

Not frequent at all. Just because your TV says so doesn't mean it's true.
baked goods

Postby john_titor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Some fool did this on the Beltline a few years back. It was during the day, but sure enough I came around the corner and he was in that stance, in the middle of the Beltline. I wasn't worried about a gun, more just wtf is a guy standing next to the median, half-way in traffic, doing the gum-gum dance? Everyone around me tweaked a bit. It was up by Midvale where it goes from 2-3 lanes. I am surprised there wasn't an accident. I have never seen a cop in that stretch before or since. Maybe he got a talking to and moved on.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 pm

I wonder how heavy those radar guns are. That might account for the pose, or it might be that you just need to be pretty precise to be sure you're nailing the "right" speeder.

Questions like this make me miss Walter. Any officers out there want to give us the police perspective?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 am

It's
gargantua wrote:I wonder how heavy those radar guns are. That might account for the pose, or it might be that you just need to be pretty precise to be sure you're nailing the "right" speeder.

Questions like this make me miss Walter. Any officers out there want to give us the police perspective?

It's probably not a question of heavy as much as it's holding your arm in that position for extended periods of time. Not fun, no matter the weight.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am

I'm assuming that lasers have mostly replaced radar. Due to the precise nature of a laser (vs radar), the "guns" need to be aimed accurately.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe