MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Capitol arrests

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Capitol arrests

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm

http://occupyriverwest.com/us/violent-arrest

Look at the videos and see if you can figure out what the hell the police tore into this kid for doing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Capitol arrests

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 pm

That's easy. Mouthing off.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:38 pm

The skinny little guy was backing away when they jumped him, trying to leave the area, and being all obsequious and apologetic for them. One of the videos shows that clearly -- he's got his two hands up in front of him in sort of a pacifying motion, like you'd do to calm your boss down, and then bam.

I know there isn't a good reason three big cops jumped him and threw him down, of course. It's just so offensive to watch.

There's some point where policing turns into assault, and that's definitely treading close to the line.

It's working, though. The crowd gets bigger every day.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Arresting a peaceful observer is not a good way to celebrate the 50th anniv of King's I have a Dream.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 pm

It is a little alarming that the capitol police don't believe there will be any consequences for them, even though they know they are being taped. Does this look like a reasonable response to anyone?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm

peripat wrote:It is a little alarming that the capitol police don't believe there will be any consequences for them, even though they know they are being taped. Does this look like a reasonable response to anyone?

In a word, no. It does not look reasonable but they are being well paid.

But wait! This protestor was armed with a camera! He was backing away from the police raising his hands in a defensive motion. And he looks suspiciously like, gasp, is he not white? Oh yes, that was certainly enough to provoke a tackle from 3 - 5 Capitol "police" each easily twice his size. What's next? Billy clubs, attack dogs and firehoses?

Don't forget that there ARE Madison and other Police officers and Firefighters across the State who support these protests. This quote from former Dane County Sheriff:

"When asked to stand guard at the doors that duty was turned over to the Wisconsin State Patrol (my note: read here Daddy Fitzgerald) because our deputies would not stand and be palace guards," said Sheriff Mahoney. "I refused to put deputy sheriffs in a position to be palace guards."

Right around that time thousands of dollars were spent to bring in metal detectors and out of state security guards to prevent public access to the Capitol which was only brought down by court order. (Wonder how much damage that caused to the marble flooring and wood door frames?)

The police regularly showed up on their time off during 2011 not only to work overtime protecting the peace in support of the protests but there are many who have maintained regular blogs up to today who question the Walker regime. The protestors respected the police and on more than one occasion did a mass "thank you" chant to police. I will never forget the firemen with their bagpipes and how their support meant so much. These aren't "libruls" but folks who normally support a traditional conservative agenda. There are firefighters who have been arrested for supporting the Sing a long as have Military Veterans and off-duty police being threatened with arrest for merely witnessing the Solidarity Sing a Long.

Again, no. The actions by Erwin enforcers is not reasonable, professional, nor ethical. YES, people WITH JOBS are protesting at the Sing-a-long. As has been said before, nothing says freedom of speech like asking your government for permission to speak.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:06 pm

snoqueen wrote:The skinny little guy was backing away when they jumped him, trying to leave the area, and being all obsequious and apologetic for them. One of the videos shows that clearly -- he's got his two hands up in front of him in sort of a pacifying motion, like you'd do to calm your boss down, and then bam.

I know there isn't a good reason three big cops jumped him and threw him down, of course. It's just so offensive to watch.

There's some point where policing turns into assault, and that's definitely treading close to the line.

It's working, though. The crowd gets bigger every day.

I'm sorry Sno, I wasn't clear. He mouthed off a few minutes before that scene where he was backing away. In the second video from the top, he's talking to a cop and has a disobedient attitude. That attitude was adjusted.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's working, though. The crowd gets bigger every day.

Working for whom?

This isn't going to change the minds of any of the idiots who consider themselves 'moderates' and voted for Walker. They're just going to write this off as Madison radicals causing trouble. And when Walker runs for President the images of him standing up to the 'leftist bullies' is going to win him lots of friends in the GOP primaries.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Its not enough to just beat them up physically. Time to pull the serious legal harshness:

In addition to the tentative charge of battery of a police officer — a felony — Damon Terrell is facing misdemeanor resisting arrest charges. His brother is being tentatively charged with misdemeanor resisting arrest and assembling without a permit.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 15351.html
While they were in the process of cuffing him his brother Damon Terrell, 22, was pinned by officers in a wrestling match that lasted about 25 seconds.

A "wrestling match"? I don't get the sense that Damon was engaged in this match willingly.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 am

peripat wrote:It is a little alarming that the capitol police don't believe there will be any consequences for them, even though they know they are being taped. Does this look like a reasonable response to anyone?

I agree: alarming, to say the least. A complete loss of perspective by the Capitol police.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 am

They better not mess up TOM.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:29 am

The Cap Police overreacted in this instance.

Whatever motive the Chief is working from he's definitely exacerbating the level of aggression in the rotunda during the noon-hour sing-a-long.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:53 pm

A question for those more familiar with police procedure:

Is that "pile on the suspect" tactic normal for subduing or detaining an unarmed person these days?

I ask because it looks like something my brother describes doing when he worked in a psych ward back in the day. I'm wondering if these are regular State Patrol officers or, say, Department of Corrections officers brought in for the purpose. During the big protests in 2011 I made a point of thanking the Capitol Police officers I passed by, so I got a pretty good look at them; these guys as a group by comparison appear to be 10-20 years younger, 50-100 lbs heavier, and of course far more aggressive.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby david cohen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 pm

This has been discussed before and they are definitely Capitol Police officers, not State Patrol. Also, you can't arrest someone for their "attitude", only their "behavior", not that this would stop Chief Erwin's toolies from doing so. I'd gander that in the end, the protester will win a nice settlement on this one.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am

Zoti Bemba wrote:A question for those more familiar with police procedure:

Is that "pile on the suspect" tactic normal for subduing or detaining an unarmed person these days?

If the subject is resisting being placed in restraints I believe so. I think the theory is that the more officers trying to control limbs, the less likelyhood the subject will be able to strike back. I always thought it reduced the ability to actually manuver the subject into restraints in the first place but I can't say that I'm knowledgable enough about the subject matter to give an expert opinion on it.

david cohen wrote:ou can't arrest someone for their "attitude", only their "behavior"

"Disturbing the peace"
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines