MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Solidarity Singers Arrested

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Solidarity Singers Arrested

Postby Lee B » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

If you go by facebook, it looks like there will be another round of this today. Grab your earplugs and some falafel king and head on over for some free lunch time entertainment.
Lee B

Postby talagaster » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Donald wrote:Why couldn't they just group themselves in slightly separated circles of 19? They would then be separate groups, each under the limit.

There's plenty of ways for them not to get arrested but they best function they serve is to get arrested. The Solidarity Singers are there to test the limits of the First Amendment. If they weren't arguing that the government is trying to put unfair limits on speech/assembly, they'd just be a bunch of annoying off-key warblers and a lame echo of protests now more than two years gone. Thanks Capitol Police, you are keeping these guys relevant!
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 am

That makes me wish I was still in Madison, I'd be happy to take part in that protest and getting arrested wouldn't bother MMSD, I'm sure.

The court challenges will be interesting to watch.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:09 am

So what if it was a group of 400 nazis showing up unannounced to chant and march througout the Capitol. Should they require going through a permit process so that the Capitol Police can be prepared to protect them?

I don't know if 20 is the right number or perhaps there should be different numbers for vocal protests as opposed to silent ones. It does seem to make sense that there is some procedure for certification of groups of some number so proper security and fire protection/exits can be in place.

Or should it just be a free for all?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baked goods » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:10 am

I wish I had this much time on my hands. Life is so hard for the symbolic professions of policing and protesting. If these professions actually had to produce and save for their futures instead of collecting pensions neither protesting nor arrests would happen. And of course the media would have to search for something new and interesting to make hey about.
baked goods

Postby baked goods » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:14 am

Jattpw wrote:So what if it was a group of 400 nazis showing up unannounced to chant and march througout the Capitol.

Who cares? The professional chattering/complaining class and debt consuming kids? Yawn.

Can't you see shock entertainment for what it is? Why is it when the entertainment media produces this crap we pay for it but when real people do it we need to yell at it? Forrest and trees and all that.
baked goods

Postby pattymcnutt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 am

Shorty wrote:
pattymcnutt wrote:If this were December and they were singing carols would they have been arrested? Doubtful.

I think the charges were protesting without a permit, not singing. But it does seem like a free speech violation.

Sounds like Chief Irwin the Coward didn't even show up and instead a recording of his was played. What a jerk.

My thought was more that carolers would cause about the same amount of "disruption" to the everyday functioning at the capitol as the Solidarity Singers, but just because they are singing a different song they have to get a permit or else be arrested. Maybe they should just switch to "O Come All Ye Faithful" instead.

Really, this is a dumb move on the part of the Capitol Police. A small group of people show up at lunchtime everyday, sing a few traditional (ie no profanity, nothing obscene) protest songs for an hour or two, and then they leave. They weren't causing a huge disruption, and the protests of 2011 have long since faded from the news. But now that they've decided to start arresting people's grandparents for singing "We Shall Overcome" they've just ignited everything all over again. Now you're going to have MORE singing and protesting plus news coverage.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:51 am

In my opinion, anyone who wants to argue that the singers disrupt business should make a case that this is a location where the business of the legislature and Wisconsin state government is actually conducted.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Round 2 of arrests have started.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 pm

baked goods wrote:Forrest and trees and all that.

Looks like food-based-handle-guy is back on the Forum. Lessons learned?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:51 pm

It must be hard for the Progressives of Dane County and especially here in Madison to understand getting arrested for demonstrating at the Capital especially when they are doing the politically correct progressive liberal thing in continuing to protest that mean old Gov. Walker and his blatant attack on public employee labor unions in Wisconsin; shame on him.

Funny thing is that most of those same progressive liberals wouldn't bat an eye over anti-abortion protesters being arrested for doing such heinous criminal activities as praying in front of an abortion clinic, as many have in the past and will continue to do so. Not saying that all anti-abortion protesters have been so nice, in fact some by their actions deserved being arrested. But the fact remains that many on the pro-life side have been arrested for simply exercising their right to free speech by praying in front of a clinic.

So why is there all the excitement over some progressive liberals getting arrested in the state capital?

Point is that free speech seems to be in the eye of the beholder; only for me but not for thee.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby peripat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm

You see no difference between public and private property I see.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:06 pm

you must be joking wrote:It must be hard for the Progressives of Dane County and especially here in Madison to understand getting arrested for demonstrating at the Capital especially when they are doing the politically correct progressive liberal thing in continuing to protest that mean old Gov. Walker and his blatant attack on public employee labor unions in Wisconsin; shame on him.

Funny thing is that most of those same progressive liberals wouldn't bat an eye over anti-abortion protesters being arrested for doing such heinous criminal activities as praying in front of an abortion clinic, as many have in the past and will continue to do so. Not saying that all anti-abortion protesters have been so nice, in fact some by their actions deserved being arrested. But the fact remains that many on the pro-life side have been arrested for simply exercising their right to free speech by praying in front of a clinic.

So why is there all the excitement over some progressive liberals getting arrested in the state capital?

Point is that free speech seems to be in the eye of the beholder; only for me but not for thee.

That you can't see a difference is troubling.

Where is the best placed to address your grievances with the government? How about at the place that the government conducts business which is a publicly owned space. If the anti-abortion people want to come to the state capitol and sing and protest I say more power to them.

When they go on private property they have an issue. If the anti-abortion protesters stay on public land and protest and pray I have no issue with them. When they chain thelselves to the front door, bomb the clinic or shoot the doctor who performs the procedure I have a huge problem.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 pm

you must be joking wrote:Funny thing is that most of those same progressive liberals wouldn't bat an eye over anti-abortion protesters being arrested for doing such heinous criminal activities as praying in front of an abortion clinic, as many have in the past and will continue to do so.

Can you please link me to anywhere...preferably on this forum, but I'll accept anywhere on the 'net...where you personally raised this issue before? It appears that you're getting upset with folks for not getting upset about something you also didn't get upset about, but I haven't read everything you've written so I could be wrong.

Also, do you have any actual quotes from any "progressive liberals" on this forum who supported having abortion protesters* arrested? This was a pretty specific accusation you brought forth, and I'm curious if it was prompted by an actual convo on this forum or if you simply are grasping at whatever you can grab and making stuff up.

(*actual protesters, not terrorists)
penquin
Forum Addict

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 pm

I can't wait for Henry V to show up and lecture everyone about how no constitutional rights are absolute and are subject to reasonable regulation.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government