MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Booms

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Booms

Postby Crockett » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 pm

I understand the environmental concerns over Rhythm & Booms. I understand the traffic concerns. I understand the 'crime' concerns. The problem is that these concerns have been around for years. Yes, the DNR doesn't like sand in the marsh. I get it.

Reading between the lines, I think the REAL concern is that the North Side around Warner Park is quickly becoming a 'less desirable' neighborhood. Moving Rhythm & Booms should help put another nail in the coffin of a once respectable neighborhood. Its too bad.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Booms

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Northside: top of the food chain!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Crock, have you been to the north side lately? You appear to have no idea what you're talking about.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 pm

minicat wrote:Crock, have you been to the north side lately? You appear to have no idea what you're talking about.

Exactly. North Sherman is about to become a lush, verdant bike path. Does that scream "ghetto" to you?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Hey Ned, go play at Lake and Chicago for awhile.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:35 pm

minicat wrote:Crock, have you been to the north side lately? You appear to have no idea what you're talking about.

Right. There were no gang-related activities that led to the cancellation of the carnival two years ago. None at all.

And the police blotter must have incorrect addresses on the crimes.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Yeah, every criminal and/or gang member lives on the north side. And there's certainly been no gang activity, ever, in Madison, except at Rhythm & Booms. Right.

Musta been all those criminals and gang members who illegally filled a wetland and have not been cleaning up their fireworks debris. And everyone knows they're behind the bike lanes on Sherman.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:17 pm

I've got no problem with having this thing move to a new location once in a while. It's a major trauma for whatever venue it uses.

I predict a major eruption of outrage over John Nolen closing for the event, forcing them to find yet another location for 2015.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:24 pm

It's amazing how much mail I've gotten from the city over this proposal, and how everybody in the neighborhood is talking about it.

I'm glad they're taking this important issue of where the fireworks will be shot off so seriously and making sure to get as much input as possible from Northside residents and busiensses. I'm especially amused by the discussion of the economic repurcussions of moving the event. What a place.
Ninja
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Crockett wrote:Reading between the lines, I think the REAL concern is that the North Side around Warner Park is quickly becoming a 'less desirable' neighborhood. Moving Rhythm & Booms should help put another nail in the coffin of a once respectable neighborhood. Its too bad.

I think it's more that Rhythm & Booms is quickly becoming a 'less desirable' event. This year aside, the carnival and the OMG LARGEST FIREWORKS DISPLAY EVER advertising drew in a large, and 'not so great' crowd to that area and the residents just got sick of it. Especially since a large portion of the crowd is from outside the area (townies, I tell ya!), same thing as Halloween. People have the attitude of, fuck if I care, I don't live here. I'm sure there was some gang elements as well, but I saw a lot of mullets going by my house these past few years, throwing trash and vomiting on lawns, just sayin' (which could be members of the Columbus Crips, I suppose.....)

This year had minimal problems. However, it also had minimal cash flow for the organizers. I agree that the John Nolen thing is going to be a massive clusterfuck. I know they do a similar thing for Ride the Drive, but 100,000 people don't participate in that, and then want to drive home. It will be interesting.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:51 pm

I predict 7/8ths of the businesses on Sherman Ave. will now close.

barney wrote:I agree that the John Nolen thing is going to be a massive clusterfuck.

Will it be any worse than trying to get out of the Warner Park area when people had to leave.

I think having it on the lake gives an opportunity for people to see the firework much better from around the entire shoreline. That's a pretty large viewing area.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I predict 7/8ths of the businesses on Sherman Ave. will now close.

barney wrote:I agree that the John Nolen thing is going to be a massive clusterfuck.

Will it be any worse than trying to get out of the Warner Park area when people had to leave.

I think having it on the lake gives an opportunity for people to see the firework much better from around the entire shoreline. That's a pretty large viewing area.

I'm thinking more about the closing John Nolen all day Saturday (maybe even Friday night).
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Gotcha. It is a little weird that they're using the street as seating and a vendor area. I would think they could use Olin park for that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

The northside has been one of Madison's more diverse areas for the last 25 years. Yes, there are some McMansions in Maple Bluff that are less than a mile as the crow flies from the low income apts at Vera Court. In between and all around are lower middle class, middle class and upper middle class enclaves. It works, we all get along, and like other parts of the city, we have our issues with crime and socio-economics. The problem is, many on the northside felt like R&B just shit on us. Everyone came from miles around and then split, leaving their trash for us to worry about. They really didn't drop a lot of cash on the local businesses, they pissed in folks front yards, they clogged the streets, and then they split. Some folks didn't mind, others did. But it has been 20 years, and the northside will enjoy the respite in July 2014.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Fireworks have been happening at Warner Park for decades. Yes, the Kountry Kousins show up. Yes, they can be obnoxious, but it's worked forever. The park is huge, there's a fire station across the street and everyone has a good time. It seems like newcomers aren't down with it so a bunch of excuses are being made up to move the thing.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines