MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP Chautara

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

RIP Chautara

Postby lukpac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 am

The beloved State Street restaurant, Chautara, with its Americanized mix of Nepali, Tibetan and Indian food, is slated to close, possibly by the end of the month.

"It's sad. I have to close here. I'm going to focus more on Dobhan," said Rajan Pradhan, who owns both restaurants.

The last day for Chautara will be either the end of this month or July 10, he said.

Pradhan said that if his regular customers come to Dobhan and mention Chautara they will receive 20 percent off their bill.

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/d ... 19028.html

But it was cool having three Nepali restaurants...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RIP Chautara

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am

Damn. I overheard an off-duty waitron talking about this a couple months ago. Figured I must've heard wrong.

We eat at Dobhan more that we eat at Chautara, and Himal Chuli most of all, but I still hate to see Chautara go.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:41 am

Shit!

Chautara was definitely a very early favorite of mine in Madison and sucks to see it go. At some point, I definitely drifted over in to the "I'd rather eat at Himal Chilli " category and mostly stopped going to Chautara and I guess I'm not the only one. Still, too bad to see it go. There aren't many good State St. eateries and that one was one of the best.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 am

They had some potato-stuffed giant pancake thing that was the best winter food in the world. Sad.

I love Dobhan though and maybe it'll get even better with 100% of the owner's attention. Also it's got just about the prettiest interior (the floor!) of any restaurant I can think of.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:34 am

Ducatista wrote:Damn. I overheard an off-duty waitron ...

Isn't the proper, genderless label "waityr?"
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Isn't the proper, genderless label "waityr?"

No, no, that's half waiter, half goat.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:25 pm

I thought the gender neutral term was waitdroid.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:40 pm

When I was in the biz, it was waitron. Waityr is an interesting alternative, and certainly seems more vital, but I don't think it works very well if you're looking for a gender-neutral term.

But I don't think that was the point originally, since there's nothing that clearly ties waiter to a particular gender, other than usage. I think it was more a matter of how one felt s/he was treated by the customer. Now that I think of it, it makes sense one would attach a different meaning here in Wisconsin: everyone is so damn polite and well-behaved.

(Except those Rs, sadly.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm

There's always "wait person."

And it seems like many, many years ago when I was in the biz, the waiters (and waitresses, this being the sixties -- no wait persons had yet evolved) called the diners peeps. I think that was short for people, as in "I need to go water my peeps."

Chautara story:

A decade or so ago I remember we went there, got seated in the window. All tables busy, and they were probably short-staffed. The food came, it looked as good as expected, but somehow we were missing one set of utensils. I seemed to have drawn the short straw, the waiter was somewhere else, and I said let's go ahead and eat, you guys use the forks, and I'll just eat with my fingers because this looks good and I don't want it to get cold. So we got through the whole meal that way. It was fine with me, sort of like being on a picnic.

Anyway, the waiter eventually got back to us and was told of the shortage. He apologized, of course, and pretty soon the owner came to our table, was very charming, and explained in his country (Nepal, right?) food was generally eaten out of hand and it was thought that to eat using unnecessary utensils was rather like having sex with all your clothes on. He told the story tastefully and just right, we all laughed, I think we got comped some dessert or something, and the evening was much more fun than it would have been with four forks instead of just three.

I'll miss Chautara, but I'm glad our other Nepalese restaurants are still here to take up the slack.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm

fennel wrote:I think it was more a matter of how one felt s/he was treated by the customer."

uh–oh, "f"

Another grammar no-no!

Don't get whiplash from the backslash:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/he-they-generic-personal-pronoun.aspx

[resume; RIP Chautara]
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:29 pm

I chatted with a veteran employee.
She said there were two main factors in the decline of Chautara's business.
First was when Gov. Walker made cuts to the UW system. Many of the regular customers are faculty and said they could no longer afford to hold meetings there, nor did they have the money to eat out with their families.
Second was the inordinate length of this recent winter.
The good news is that in the distant future the owner hopes to re-open a smaller Chautara in a different location.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Dairylander wrote:The good news is that in the distant future the owner hopes to re-open a smaller Chautara in a different location.

Isn't that called Himal Chuli :D
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:They had some potato-stuffed giant pancake thing that was the best winter food in the world. Sad.

If you find yourself in need of a dosa fix check out Maharani on W Wash -- they have a whole dosa section, including the infamously yummy masala dosa of your snowy season dreams.

For my part I will never forget Chautara's tofu secuwa. I like tofu well enough but that was the first time that I had tofu that really tasted good on its own rather than just hiding well enough in whatever sauce it happened to be.

I should probably go for a visit to Dobhan to find out if they have mastered the same tasty tofu trick. My meals at Dobhan haven't been particularly good but then maybe that's because I haven't ordered the South Asian fare there, figuring that for great light curries and such that I could always go to Chautara... [*sigh*]
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:22 am

It was where I went to eat goat dishes. Does the other restaurant have it on the menu?
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 am

Broadsheet wrote:It was where I went to eat goat dishes. Does the other restaurant have it on the menu?

David's Jamaican serves curry goat.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews