MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

I quit Facebook

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

I quit Facebook

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:56 am

For the summer, at least. I wrote a column about it for the newspaper where I work now, The Mountain Press of Sevierville, Tenn.

What’s the problem? Mainly, I’m weary of the politics. Understand, I’m fascinated by electoral politics, like any journalist. I have my views, and I express them in the polling booth and not many other places. Not on Facebook. I’m not interested in politics as an all-consuming leisure activity.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I quit Facebook

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 am

I never joined. I was going to register but then I learned that Facebook has no control over its own terms of service: 8.7% of its users are fake, 7.5 million children under 13 have accounts, along with 5 million under 10 years old.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 am

Meade wrote:I never joined. I was going to register but then I learned that Facebook has no control over its own terms of service: 8.7% of its users are fake, 7.5 million children under 13 have accounts, along with 5 million under 10 years old.

Sounds like an audience that might actually agree with you.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 am

wack wack wrote:Sounds like an audience that might actually agree with you.

I can't disagree with that. But who needs an audience that only agrees with you? Other than six year-olds.

And forons.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:14 am

wack wack wrote:
Meade wrote:I never joined. I was going to register but then I learned that Facebook has no control over its own terms of service: 8.7% of its users are fake, 7.5 million children under 13 have accounts, along with 5 million under 10 years old.

Sounds like an audience that might actually agree with you.

I don't really see how those stats, assuming they're at all accurate, have anything to do with anything. Sure, I have a friend with fake accounts for both chihuahuas, and I am friends with Franz Boas. So? Is the world going to end any sooner as a result?

As for the all-consuming political stuff, for the most part I don't care--other than the repeated meme images (fb privacy settings changed to "Friends and NSA," "Just NSA," etc.), most political stuff comes in the form of links that have to be expanded or loaded to read. It's easy to ignore those.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 am

Meade wrote:
wack wack wrote:Sounds like an audience that might actually agree with you.

I can't disagree with that. But who needs an audience that only agrees with you? Other than six year-olds.

And forons.

I figured anyone agreeing with you would be a plus for you.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 am

In my earliest days on Facebook, I friended Hannah Arendt. I don't think it was the real Hannah Arendt.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:26 am

I think we can add "Facebook" to the list of things that Meade doesn't understand. (Previous entries include "sarcasm" and "tact".)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm

From your column:

Kenneth Burns wrote:True, most of the political memes on my feed happen to be posted by people I don’t know.

That's the thing, don't you think?

To respond to your column: I don't think you can have it both ways on facebook. You can choose either a smaller group of friends you actually know, who won't shit all over your posts or your newsfeed but may not Like at the rate you desire, or a larger group that includes strangers, who'll provide plenty of positive reinforcement but will just as quickly post the meme du jour or take a dump on your Beatles comment.

I've met each of my facebook friends in real life, though some I haven't seen in 25 years or more. They range from Dem-despising far lefties to gung-ho tea partiers, though most, I think, are in my general left-of-center vicinity. A guy who works for the RNC tosses out the occasional Washington Times link or soggy meme, and one of the teaps serves up an unlikely mix of Ned-esque talking points and anti-GMO-food rants. The farthest left of the bunch broadcasts daily anti-Dem screeds. But that's still a small percentage of my newsfeed, and I kind of like seeing what nonsense is making the rounds. I don't engage on their political posts, and they don't engage on mine, so things stay civil.

The Friends I Know plan: Like.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Well, I kind of told ya all so...

Re: TDPF complaint department
by Mad Howler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:07 am

Hang on a moment, let me get this straight. You see the homogenous "social" media as a threat to this forum? My Facebook account is scheduled to terminate July 4th (no lie). That is how I will be celebrating independence day.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 am

Ducatista wrote:From your column:

Kenneth Burns wrote:True, most of the political memes on my feed happen to be posted by people I don’t know.

That's the thing, don't you think?

Most but not all.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

I like being on Facebook to keep up to date on what is going on with friends and relatives that I don't see often. I also like playing the various Scrabble variants with those folks.

That is pretty much it though. I won't accept requests from co-workers. (ex co-workers are fine) I don't post political stuff in general. I think I have only ignored three people, two of whom are really only acquaintances. The third is a good, old friend that just posts too much stuff that makes me mad. I value his real life friendship, so I decided to be less of an on-line friend.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:For the summer, at least. I wrote a column about it for the newspaper where I work now, The Mountain Press of Sevierville, Tenn.

When did this happen? I knew you you're-all-Middle-Tennessee, but if you find East Tennessee less familiar terrain I have extended family all over the area--Sevierville, Maryville, Knoxville and further flung. Couldn't find a means of contact on your profile page.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:20 am

I'm not ready to quit Facebook because I just started using it about 6 months ago.

I only have one rule for accepting friends, and it has been AMAZINGLY effective at keeping the noise down: I won't accept anyone whose profile picture is of their children.

Now I have ten friends, dozens of unaccepted requests and several unhappy family members.

Fortunately, I've not run into much political discourse on Facebook; I suspect the arguments are hiding behind those children profile pics.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 am

I have a Facebook page (which is empty) under a pretend name so I can keep up with the activities of a couple younger relatives who seem to think Facebook is the only way anybody communicates. We're scattered across half the globe, and if I don't see their Facebook posts, I'll totally lose touch with them. It's as close to fake as anything gets -- pictures of parties and people hugging and drinking, and little else. I realize I'm getting only a highly selective, cuteness-slanted view of their lives but what more can you do? They're nice people in person, oddly.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games