MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fourth Scandal Erupts: Obamacare shakedown

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Fourth Scandal Erupts: Obamacare shakedown

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 am

The past two days, Republican politicians are talking about a fourth scandal. FOX has picked up the scent.
http://pjmedia.com/blog/the-fourth-scan ... shakedown/

Due to the sequester and opposition from congressional Republicans, there is no money to adequately educate the American public about the new health care exchanges.

As a work-around, supporters of Obamacare have established a non-profit service to help people understand the new rules and procedures:
http://www.enrollamerica.org/

Republicans claim that HHS Secretary Sebelius encouraging corporations to donate to this effort is corruption. HHS regulates insurance companies, you see. Obviously the insurance companies have an interest in a successful Obamacare rollout and will likely donate, but Sebelius only made two fund-raising calls, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and H&R Block, neither of which she regulates.

This is the scandal.

Now Republicans want Enroll America shutdown.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fourth Scandal Erupts: Obamacare shakedown

Postby Sandi » Tue May 21, 2013 11:29 am

I see nothing wrong with Sebelius seeking contributions. Better that than tax dollars.

The sequester had nothing to do with it though. HHS has more budget this year under sequester than last. But in Washington anything less than wished for is a cut.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Sandi wrote: The sequester had nothing to do with it though. HHS has more budget this year under sequester than last. But in Washington anything less than wished for is a cut.

Well, of course HHS has an increasing budget, they are building exchanges and rolling out the largest share of Obamacare. That doesn't mean they aren't facing a funding pinch.

The comments that Democrats made earlier this year about a "coming train wreck" etc. were directed specifically at a lack of education of the public.

I don't know exactly why the administration has had to go to outside sources to seek funding, beyond what has been mentioned by David Brooks and other columnists. They mention the sequester and Republicans playing hardball. The fact that the funding is short is unarguable.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue May 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Yup. If they say it on Fox News, it must be the fucking gospel. Just like palm trees in Madtown.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue May 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Clinton's penis.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue May 21, 2013 7:58 pm

david cohen wrote:Yup. If they say it on Fox News, it must be the fucking gospel. Just like palm trees in Madtown.

Are you perhaps replying in the wrong thread, or is there some relevance? The link is to PJMedia, not FOX ( I rarely look at either ) and I don't agree with it.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

This, and the other real and imagined scandals, are pretty much what second presidential terms are about now. This particular "scandal" upsets Republicans because they are doing everything they possibly can to disrupt and discredit the Affordable Care Act in its implementation.

So if the Obama administration finds a way to work around them, it is an absolute outrage!

Yawn.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue May 21, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm sorry Sandi...apparently the OP mentioned scandals and I misread it as sandals, hence my palm tree reference;) Read what the OP wrote: Fox has picked up the scent...speaking of scents....
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government