MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Gorham Street Clusterfuck?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Gorham Street Clusterfuck?

Postby barney » Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 am

Anybody have any insights on why Gorham Street is a clusterfuck lately?
I get every once in a while there's going to be a backup, it usually does get slow to stopped near Wisconsin Aveneu, and Thursdays can be bad because of trash/recycling pickup, but this is every. Single. Fucking. Morning. No matter what time during the morning. Tried leaving at 7:30, same as leaving at 8:15, still a parking lot. And it backs up way further than usual, some times to Baldwin.
Is it just the harmonic convergence of downtown constructions? Or what gives?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gorham Street Clusterfuck?

Postby LargeMarge » Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 am

Are people taking it instead of East Wash to avoid the construction on East Wash? I have a weekly trip that takes about the same time if I take East Wash or Gorham/Johnson. I noticed that the turn onto Johnson from Broom has been more backed up, too.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 am

King Street's all tore up. Could that be a factor?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 am

Construction. It's everywhere.

Also, kids are moving out. Some genius had his U Haul parked in the left lane of east-bound Johnson near Pinkus McBride this morning at 8:20. I mean, get a cup of coffee for a half hour and there's no problem, but he had traffic backed up beyond Wisconsin with just that bottleneck.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue May 14, 2013 11:05 am

Its been a freaking mess on Gorham lately. Although I think it will thin out, as Jason said, once the students are gone for the summer.

I'm on the bike again for the season so I don't mind much -- its nice not having to sync schedules with the bus. On a related topic whats the point of trying to box out a bus when they're trying to merge back into traffic? There was a string of assholes today that kept pushing the number 28 bus back to the curb rather than give up their one car-length lead into downtown.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue May 14, 2013 11:23 am

I suppose it's that being directly behind a bus is less fun than being behind things you can see over and around, and isn't making frequent stops. When it's busy, being behind a bus can cost you quite a bit more than a car length over the course of several blocks if there isn't enough room to go around when it stops.

What bugs me about construction is that it doesn't seem to be staged with traffic flow in mind. There are only a few arterials through the isthmus, so taking a couple down at once seems almost cruel. I (cleverly I thought) switched over to E. Eash via Blair to avoid a construction bottleneck on E. Johnson. Only to encounter.....a construction bottleneck on E. Wash! Do they really BOTH have to be worked on at the same time?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 pm

gargantua wrote:What bugs me about construction is that it doesn't seem to be staged with traffic flow in mind.

Pisses me off that my ride in from the east side has been screwed. Construction on E Wash, Mifflin, and Dayton. It's all for like 1 or 2 blocks which makes it that much more annoying.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:...whats the point of trying to box out a bus when they're trying to merge back into traffic? There was a string of assholes today that kept pushing the number 28 bus back to the curb rather than give up their one car-length lead into downtown.

Years ago I had a good friend who drove bus for Metro. I asked him about that (we can all agree it's stupid) and he said oh, it happens all the time. The old timers just close their eyes and gun it.

Something to keep in mind next time you decide you're more important than a bus.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jtmehrin » Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 pm

LargeMarge wrote:Are people taking it instead of East Wash to avoid the construction on East Wash? I have a weekly trip that takes about the same time if I take East Wash or Gorham/Johnson. I noticed that the turn onto Johnson from Broom has been more backed up, too.

Willy St. has been pretty bad for about a month now as well. It must be East Wash.
I guess I don't drive on that part of East Wash often, because I didn't realize it was under construction.
jtmehrin

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 14, 2013 4:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:Some genius had his U Haul parked in the left lane of east-bound Johnson near Pinkus McBride this morning at 8:20. I mean, get a cup of coffee for a half hour and there's no problem, but he had traffic backed up beyond Wisconsin with just that bottleneck.

It was still there a little after 9. But traffic's thinner then, so the bottleneck wasn't so bad.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 14, 2013 4:56 pm

So many thoughts once we start complaining about traffic.

1. The unwillingness to allow a merging vehicle into your lane is, I'm convinced, an indication of deep self esteem issues. Don't worry, you're not going to look like a wuss. Plus: karma.

2. I thought things would improve with better weather, but people are still acting like a-holes around the city. I stopped to let a septuagenarian on a bike cross the street this afternoon and as he rode past me, he snarled something about screwing up traffic. I checked my rear view mirror and nobody else was around. Some people, I guess.

3. They have installed a stop sign now at the intersection of Doty and King. Should be fun! Speaking of which...

4. Fall Out Boy rolled in with three tour buses, one semi and two cargo trucks yesterday.

That's Fall Out Boy.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:2. I thought things would improve with better weather, but people are still acting like a-holes around the city. I stopped to let a septuagenarian on a bike cross the street this afternoon and as he rode past me, he snarled something about screwing up traffic. I checked my rear view mirror and nobody else was around.

My take on that is the duck patrols have succeeded in getting people to act like goodie two shoes. Guy was probably pissed that the whole affair took longer because you stopped.

And no, it wasn't me.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 pm

I've been flipped off 3 times this week during morning rush: once by some clown who was clearly running late to work (at the top of Gorham by Tenney, hehehe, he hit the wall a block down!), the second by some dick in a powerful Audi who whipped into my (left) lane from a parking lot, and the third was some lady who ran a red light and hung a left turn right in front of me as i was pulling out with the green light. And I thought it was just MY driving;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue May 14, 2013 8:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:3. They have installed a stop sign now at the intersection of Doty and King. Should be fun!

I assume they'll continue to have a traffic cop directing things at rush hour though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Unless people have absolutely no idea how to deal with a traffic cop, then freak out at the mere sight of him, then stop at the stop sign anyway and freeze up because the man with the orange stick and uniform is trying to communicate some coded message. But that could never happen, right?

Well what the fuck do you know? Madison drivers do that. This town is just baffling.
Ninja
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja » Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Also I'm extremely annoyed by the increased number of drivers white lining (riding/driving with one tire on the white line) on Johnson and Gorham for some reason. You can't do that in a car! It's almost like a habit that hangs on from winter when the roads are actually narrower and parked cars encroach more because of the snow. But there's no more snow.

I really don't understand the reasoning that makes a person terrified of coming within four feet of a parked car or curb, but perfectly cool with coming inches away from another ton of steel moving at a slightly different pace on the other side. You're supposed to stay in the middle of the lane. Make a little effort.
Ninja
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Town Vibe