MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Aereo will set you free

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Aereo will set you free

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Aereo is an upstart company that is going to allow you to receive all local, high def digital broadcasts over the internet, plus provide you with a virtual DVR in the cloud. About $10/month, and you can much more easily cut the cord with Charter or Dish.

Here is profile of Aereo service:
http://gigaom.com/2013/02/07/aereos-big ... -explains/
How they do it:
http://gigaom.com/2013/02/06/inside-aer ... -watch-tv/

Aereo is operating now in NYC market. They will be up and running in Boston on May 15. They purportedly will in Madison before July.
http://blog.aereo.com/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Aereo will set you free

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Read something that a couple broadcast networks might stop doing so, all because of the court ruling allowing Aereo.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Read something that a couple broadcast networks might stop doing so, all because of the court ruling allowing Aereo.

Ya, I've been researching this stuff, FOX in particular is loudly threatening to stop broadcasting over the air. It is a hollow threat, laughably so. Aereo is only going to syphon-off a small slice of business, mainly people in urban areas with excellent internet service who can't use antennas to pickup free TV. (I think Madison is on the list for Aereo expansion because our internet bandwidth rocks compared to other cities. Charter does offer great internet speeds.)

Besides, broadcasters get much more money from advertising than they do from retransmission fees on cable/satellite. (Aereo does cheapen the value of content that broadcasters offer to cable companies.)
Aereo is spreading advertising message to more customers, so it is a murky and mixed situation.

What I care about is the wonderful opportunity that Aereo is opening up for consumers. This nudges the ball forward for ala carte tv services.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I don't get it. Before, you were watching TV. After, you'll be watching TV. And now you're fee? Pah!

(But the à la carte option does make good sense.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm

fennel wrote:I don't get it. Before, you were watching TV. After, you'll be watching TV. And now you're fee? Pah!

OK, fair enough. Aereo also releases you to watch your recorded TV programs on your IPad. You are free to leave your couch, perhaps watch in your tree fort, or while walking barefoot along the beach.

Maybe to you freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. Nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's free.

To me, I see freedom in a recliner parked in front of a big screen tv.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV