MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Friends You Don't Know

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Good Friends You Don't Know

Postby acereraser » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm

There is a woman that works somewhere in the same building I do. Our paths cross every few months. Today, after most of an unremarkable work day, I was coming back in the building and she was coming down the stairs. I acted as if I looked up and saw her, panicked, and ran in the elevator, frantically pressing buttons. She responded by faking a chase, and swung her bag menacingly toward the elevator. We shared honest laughter as the doors closed.

I have never learned her name. Somehow, early on in our acquaintance, without speaking about it, we mutually understood that we share some similar weird angles in our personalities, and that it is better if we try to amuse each other as we pass than to make small talk.

Maybe it is a Cloud Atlas thing (just watched it this week, so it is on my mind), but whatever the connection, my day is brighter because of it.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good Friends You Don't Know

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm

I love stuff like that. I've got some weird angles to my own personality and it's great when somebody tacitly gets it. The next time your paths cross, of course, you have to act totally normal, because you are both clandestine agents of the underground weird nexus and if you reveal your connection you'll have to kill each other.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

acereraser wrote:There is a woman that works somewhere in the same building I do. Our paths cross every few months. Today, after most of an unremarkable work day, I was coming back in the building and she was coming down the stairs. I acted as if I looked up and saw her, panicked, and ran in the elevator, frantically pressing buttons. She responded by faking a chase, and swung her bag menacingly toward the elevator. We shared honest laughter as the doors closed.

I have never learned her name. Somehow, early on in our acquaintance, without speaking about it, we mutually understood that we share some similar weird angles in our personalities, and that it is better if we try to amuse each other as we pass than to make small talk.

Maybe it is a Cloud Atlas thing (just watched it this week, so it is on my mind), but whatever the connection, my day is brighter because of it.

So ya gonna try and do her or what?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Remember_Me wrote:So ya gonna try and do her or what?

Not at all, but I understand the question. So far, our interactions have been naturally platonic, and I hope it remains that way, for the kicks. Cuz kicks just keep gettin' harder to find.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Have you ever felt so wistful about a man? Shared honest laughter in an elevator with a fella?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:24 pm

acereraser wrote:There is a woman that works somewhere in the same building I do. Our paths cross every few months. Today, after most of an unremarkable work day, I was coming back in the building and she was coming down the stairs. I acted as if I looked up and saw her, panicked, and ran in the elevator, frantically pressing buttons. She responded by faking a chase, and swung her bag menacingly toward the elevator. We shared honest laughter as the doors closed.

In my humble opinion, that is the most interesting thing I have read in quite a while. Thank you.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 am

Huckleby wrote:Have you ever felt so wistful about a man? Shared honest laughter in an elevator with a fella?

Exactly.

"Naturally platonic" is an oxymoron.

Make your move acer... life's short.

And if you two kids happen to take a beautiful walk together one day, let us all know... especially Joyce.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 am

I'm a believer in friendships between men & women. Frankly it seems to be common among younger adults as part of networking, but then when people get married they phase-out opposite sex friends.
It doesn't help that the relationship advisers on TV & newspapers tell women that male friends are a threat to their marriage, and they even invented the phrase "emotional cheating" to stigmatize close friendships outside of a marriage.

I'm big on platonic relationships, and I have no problem with the friends with benefits approach either. The key is to keep it real, and in this case I think acereraser is keeping a real woody.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby clyde » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 am

I needed to smile this morning and your story did the trick. Thanks acereraser for some much-needed levity. :lol:
clyde

Postby acereraser » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't want to drag this thread down (and possibly post off-topic in a thread of my own creation), but I have pondered, and it kinda seems a couple of you are, well, maybe projecting a little. Whether based on your personal desires, relationship troubles, or just an appetite for a juicier story, you want there to be more going on than a couple silly people recognizing the opportunity for silliness, and then acting on that opportunity. I realize humans are flawed in a myriad of ways, and many of them are rooted in our instincts to pass on our genetic information. However, isn't it possible that we can stop short of fucking up a good thing when we find one?

And to the others who just liked it, you are welcome, and thank you for reflecting.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Come on, give her the high hard one...

Just kidding. It was a cool story. I know everyone in my building and they already know that I sometimes act like a freak show, so alas, no Cloud Atlas moments for me.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 pm

acereraser wrote:However, isn't it possible that we can stop short of fucking up a good thing when we find one?

Forgive some of us who think that maybe this good thing could turn out to be a great thing.

And not just solely sexual.

You two have clearly connected in a unique way.

Why not explore it more?

You mention "projecting a little", and possible "relationship troubles" in your last post.

Which, honestly, is exactly what I thought when reading your first post. And then you went on to say how kicks are gettin' harder to find. Idk, just sounded a little dejected to me.

Why settle for a possible kick with her every few months when you could possibly have daily joy with her forever?

Why wonder what if?

Swing for the fences dude.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

And, just FTR, I'm not trying to shit on your story man. I think it's really cool too. I think we've all had a few moments like that in our lives.

I remember each and every one of them vividly. And yeah, from time to time I revisit those fond memories and wonder, what if...

None of us are above a little regret I think.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:55 pm

...isn't it possible that we can stop short of fucking up a good thing when we find one?

This is why it worked. If you were trying to make something else happen, the whole cool little thing wouldn't have worked.

Some people know this and some people don't, and when the ones who do cross paths, it's fun.

I feel sort of bad for all you guys who don't get this, but I suppose we all make our own realities.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:48 pm

I won't say this often, but don't listen to Sno.

There's a reason why papers have all those "Missed Connections" type areas.

Life's short.

Swing for the fences.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All