MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

No Mifflin Block Party For You!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: No Mifflin Block Party For You!

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:27 pm

SlayerDave wrote:At the same time, what makes MPD and Soglin think they aren't trading up to an even bigger clusterfuck?

Their hope lies in this:
Officer Matthew Magolan, a member of the central district community policing team, cited a concurrent event, Revelry, as a possible alternative to the event.

The block party has gone downhill ever since beer completely took over from the special brownies, sold (for only a buck) next to the Mifflin St. Coop.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 pm

SlayerDave wrote:I never really cared for Mifflin, so in that respect, not really sad to see it go. Also, as has been noted rather tiresomely, it's obviously not the social protest movement it was once was, so not like we're losing anything there either.

Last time I went and had a good enough time to stay was the mid nineties. Since 97 the closest I've gotten is riding my bike past the crowd and thinking "Wow, and people say hippies smell bad. How did they get that stale beer and puke smell to be so strong so early in the day?"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I definitely can't claim to be hip to the music scene, but I got the impression from reading various reactions that the list of performers they were able to get for Revelry was pretty underwhelming. Combine that with a general sense of rebellion against any Mifflin opinion that appears to have UW behind it (remember the "Don't Go" video?), and I wouldn't expect Revelry to be a real big draw.

I am very receptive to the city's complaints about Mifflin, and I agree with most of them. I just don't know that they haven't traded a day with huge parties on one street to a day with huge parties all over campus.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:33 pm

SlayerDave wrote:I never really cared for Mifflin... it's obviously not the social protest movement it was once was, so not like we're losing anything there either.

I haven't either, but I arrived in Madison after I had been out of school for some time. I think it stopped being a social protest around 40 years ago. With that being said, I had always heard tales of it when I was in school and thought it was a pretty cool thing for the students to have. I bet there are some people there that do learn of its roots, so that is something. I was sad to read of Mr. Soglin's stance on the block party. Words fail me, so I will rely on those of the "Big" Lebowski;

"Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir."

"In May 1969, Soglin, while representing the Eighth Ward (JT EDIT - He was 24 at the time), was twice arrested at the first infamous Mifflin Street Block Party. Soglin was tried and found guilty of "Failing to Obey the Lawful Order of a Police Officer." The charge from the second day, "Unlawful Assembly," was thrown out by a federal court. The following fall he enrolled in law school."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Soglin
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Alright, I take that back; it is a social protest. It is a protest of people being that age against everyone else.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jackisonian » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Neade wrote:
36956645.jpg

Not sure but I believe people have cancelled it before, almost every year.
jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:13 am

massimo wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Hiter.

DRINK!

Shit, now I gotta drink for Hiter, too? You'll be able to find me with peej over in the drunk thread from now on.

Oh shit, was that a dig? Now I gotta bump my drunk thread. Maybe it should just be called the "drunken peej thread".
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Yes, a dig, but a good-natured one. Your, uhh I mean, the Drunk Posts thread is one of my favorites.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government