MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Marsha Rummel attack mailing

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The Marsha Rummel attack mailing

Postby rabble » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Willy St Blog's got an article on it. He says it went out yesterday but I could have sworn I got mine on Tuesday. I looked at it a little puzzled and set it aside intending to take a closer look later but some how it ended up in the recycling bin and I didn't feel like looking for it. It's a big postcard telling us why Marsha is very very bad.

The only name beside's Marsha's is in the fine print at the bottom left; Building a Stronger Wisconsin, Randy Nash, Treasurer.

I disagreed with Marsha about allocating that million for other things instead of burying the wires for the Willy St reconstruction but I don't think it's THAT big a deal. Why it is to BaSW, and why they feel the need to slam her that hard, without endorsing or even mentioning her opponent, puzzles me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Marsha Rummel attack mailing

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:14 am

She's being accused of "giving away" 1 million dollars, as if that money were free.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 am

Statewide groups getting involved in extremely local elections like is being called "unusual."

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=39532
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:10 am

Scott Thornton's website has this posted at the top of the home page:

Yesterday (March 27, 2013) many of you in the 6th District received, as did I, a negative mailer from an outside group. My campaign had nothing to do with the mailer. I called my opponent last night to express my own concern over it. – Scott
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Eastsider » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am

Yah,

Maybe Scott was upset that it beat out his own attack mailer.

This is what happens when you cross Chuck Chvala, I guess.
Eastsider
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 am

After reading the Isthmus article, I would be wondering if this wasn't a pro-Marsha tactic if I wasn't already familiar with Marsha.

I'm just puzzled. What kind of research did these guys do? Maybe I should say "this guy" since we've only got Nash right now. Is he going after Marsha or trying to help Thornton? What's the goal? Why did he think this would do any good?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 am

Shadowy group gets involved in east-side aldermanic race

The group responsible for the mailer, Building a Stronger Wisconsin PAC, lists a P.O. Box in Waunakee as its address.

Its website, which contains more information about March Madness than public policy, lists no contact people or phone number. The only person identified with the group is Milwaukee attorney Randy Nash, who ran unsuccessfully for state Senate in 1996 and is listed on the mailer as the group’s treasurer.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am

I kinda perked up when I read "mailer from a union-backed group."

Union backed? Really?

Oh, I see.
According to campaign finance reports, the group has not received any money since 2010, when it got $68,000 from unions, including $18,000 from Madison Teachers Inc. It then spent most of that money on robocalls opposing Republican legislative candidates. It also later gave $6,000 to the Democratic Party of Wisconsin.

I'm not sure that getting 68k from unions three years ago means it's a union-backed group today. But maybe. Sure does make a great quote, though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 pm

There is a second mailer - exactly same blue color & format as the anti Marsha one- saying 'On April 2nd vote for Scott Thornton' Endorsed by Fair Wisconsin with the same approved & pd for as the Rummel version- Thornton's own mailers are red - Wow I bet this has cost him a lot of votes
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Eastsider wrote:Maybe Scott was upset that it beat out his own attack mailer.

The minimizing of Marsha's position at Rainbow Bookstore got me angry at first. You'd almost think that was intentional, these transparent "comparison" mailers seem to invite outrage -- so ridiculously unfair that they're a black mark against the candidate dumb or desperate enough to authorize one. Then I noticed how Scott puffed up his own work experience as a bean counter(!) for all sectors. Well, gosh! Private and non-profit and public. How did he fit it all in in a mere almost thirty years? Quick, someone find an IT professional to figure it out!

Truthfully, I was always voting for Marsha because she's never given me a reason not to, which is what it would take at this point for her to lose my vote. She's an excellent Alder, in my opinion. This Tuesday will be extra thrilling, though, because I will also get my chance to vote against the person who claims responsibility for bringing Poetry in Sidewalks to Williamson Street -- my least favorite part of the reconstruction. I should thank Scott and his campaign for bringing that "accomplishment" to my attention. Maybe after the election.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 pm

I don't know which day it came in but I've got a Thornton support mailing sitting here that's an exact copy of the Marsha attack mailing right down to the fine print at the bottom, except with different text everywhere else. From across the room it's the same card. This time it's telling me what a wonderful guy Mr Thornton is.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:12 am

Mr. Thornton came to the Tenant Resource Center "Iron Chef" fundraiser last night at the Brink. Ate by himself, sitting alone at the bar. Didn't stay long.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:19 am

Who is behind these shadowy attack pieces? The lack of transparency gives the candidate plausible deniability:
His opponent in the race, Mike Gernetzke, says he is unaware of Building a Stronger Wisconsin and that he has no links to the organization.

For all we know, it could be al-Quaeda. Has Genetzke ever denounced the 9/11 terrorist attacks? Curiously he has never addressed the issue. Inquiring minds need to know!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:48 am

peripat wrote:There is a second mailer - exactly same blue color & format as the anti Marsha one- saying 'On April 2nd vote for Scott Thornton' Endorsed by Fair Wisconsin with the same approved & pd for as the Rummel version- Thornton's own mailers are red - Wow I bet this has cost him a lot of votes

That's curious. Fair Wisconsin has indeed endorsed Thornton, but I don't see what that has to do with utility lines on Willy St. They're an LGBT organization. I take it the "paid for" is one of Randy Nash's organizations?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government