MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Noise Pollution in the Urban Environment

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Noise Pollution in the Urban Environment

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 am

penquin wrote:With the smoking issue people were choosing to walk into the bar, tavern or private clubhouse.

Sid chose to live in an apartment...above a bar...on State Street...in Madison.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 am

Are you guys seriously going to let penquin suck you into arguing about the smoking ordinance and/or the dangers of secondhand smoke? Really?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am

Prof. The topic is about somebody who's surprised at the noise in his apartment above a bar. Where else is this thread supposed to go?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am

Don't fret about it Wags, I know better than to press that issue too much! lol

And for Sid, you should contact the ALRC and lodge a complaint. The bar is required to have a special license in order to play music, and you should let the city know that Whiskey Jack's is abusing the privileges given to them.
penquin
Forum Addict

Postby SidSeven » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Wow. I didn't expect so many replies.
I moved in above the Pub. No problem. Then they remodeled & reopened with a kick-ass sound system. Then DJ Whitehorse showed up with a couple 1000 watt sub-woofers. David Shwoegler told him to get rid of them, so he hid them + 2 more under the stage.
Then Gus Paras bought the place, Whiskey River opened up, and guess what, listen folks we are not talking about loud bar music here, we are talking about the equivalent of 4 boom-cars under our apartments. There is loud, louder & then STUPID loud.

I found it astounding, the reason given for denying 505 State st. a karoke machine.

Sub-woofers should be classified as dangerously stupid noise generators. George Lucas has said he wished he had let someone else develop this technology so he could sleep better at night, after seeing people decide sub-woofers are a really cool new kind of bass speaker. They are not.

I'm talking 100+ decibels here; if that bar was a factory, OSHA would be all over them.
SidSeven

Postby SidSeven » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 pm

By the way, I'm not an idiot, if I could move I would. Gus keeps saying he's gonna kick them out but we have not gotten much in the way of relief.

They had been reasonable for awhile, but then they mistook the bass control for the volume control, apparently.

They apparently wanted the loudest bar in town, so they put it under an apartment building. Brilliant.

This town loves to talk about affordable housing, but then they let this go on. People on the THIRD floor moved out because they couldn't stand it.

And they are open 7 days a week. some days we are looking at 16+ hours. Between, say 3:30 am and 9 am you might get some sleep. Maybe.
SidSeven

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

You live above a bar in Madison on State Street. What do you expect?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Keep pecking away via legal channels. I think the police do have sound meters, so you could at least get the sound levels documented. There's no reason why living above a bar should be particularly loud compared to other residential situations in your neighborhood.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 pm

rabble wrote:Prof. The topic is about somebody who's surprised at the noise in his apartment above a bar. Where else is this thread supposed to go?

Presumably nowhere.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am

Document everything -- keep a logbook. Then move out when you can. Sublet season is right around the corner and you can find something cheap for the summer.

Meanwhile, withhold your rent, then take it to small claims when/if the landlord comes after you. The fact the super loud noise started after you moved in (right?) is in your favor. You were willing to tolerate the previous noise level, but the new one is over the top.

I bet they'll at least split the difference with you. This is not what you signed up for when you signed the lease.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marsha Rummel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:57 am

Sid- I've been working with the City Attorneys office to amend the ordinance that establishes decibel limits, I want to add requirements for the bass frequencies. Building Inspection recently purchased a decibel reader that can captures those lower frequencies. Please request that the police or building inspection take a reading from your apt. The next District 2 alder should be able to help you too. The question is what is the reasonable level of bass that allows the Sids of the world to sleep in their apts without teeth rattling? Any forons who are expert sound engineers please respond! ALRC has heard from Gus Paras and residents at least twice about Whiskey Jacks, he needs to step up and resolve this.
Marsha Rummel

Postby SidSeven » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Now they got a big generator outside my window, (I dreamnt of this eventuality) I can't open my window, but the bar is very quiet, I can only hear the 'DJ' every 30 seconds. I was fishing (i caught a crappie) & met some guys who had an interest in the fact that I was born here in 1963. A bunch of people missing the point is not why I started this thread. If you can't read, go back to school. My neighbor can't live here after 23 years 'cause he got cancer. My Father died bitches, & my mom is trying to die after a lifetime of being a republican. She voted for Kathleen Falk. That should tell you something.
I ran into a guy in a suit & we discussed the efficacy of sticking an expensive curtain wall on the central library, to block the view of the overture centre' he said Gus Paras USED to be a nice guy. My friend copped me out of a job I am perfectly suited for , and he introduced me to Gus. Also, we have not had a decent or even real janitor here since I moved in almost 6 years ago. Paying rent is only equity if you have invested a huge amount in living here, I'm not 20 anymore. I cleaned up the Orpheum, 7 days a week, shoveled 10 feet of snow, put away the deliveries, cleaned the walkin cooler, the pantry, AND fixed things that were broken.
They got 10 bathrooms, for instance.
I cannot breathe the exhaust from a 2000 watt generator.
I just turned 50. I am a grandson of the civil war as well as the Revolutionary war. I got the same blood in me as winston freekin churchill. My ancestors DO NOT roll in their graves, they are alive and well and living in me right now.
I do not like injustice. Anyone else of my persuassion might have not made it this far, and that is what bugs me about Madison, And, 'Affordable Housing'.
So there.
PS Mayor Dave did NOT invent 'Freak Fest'.
I did.
SidSeven

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:03 am

I hope you can find a better downtown room to live in, one without a stinky generator. Nobody deserves that.

You are a good writer and storyteller with a unique voice. Maybe you can find someone to help you develop that and bring it to an audience who will appreciate your work.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SidSeven » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:32 am

The Bar Became Quiet 3 days ago.
Unfortunately it's now spring.
I am unable, (Spock!) ...to...BE!

Update: Imagine a really big, giant jackhammer. Then climb inside it.
SidSeven

Postby SidSeven » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 am

I've decided to sue the city of Madison.
That should get some action.
SidSeven

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government