MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Lanford v. St. John: Dane co Circuit Court judge

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Lanford v. St. John: Dane co Circuit Court judge

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 pm

St. John is a Walker appointee but in her LVW statement she says " I stand with my fellow Dane County Judges in rejecting political attacks against Judges like those made by Governor Walker, who called a Dane County judge “a liberal activist.”

Is she back stabbing Walker? Or is she a wolf in sheep's clothing, acting nice to get elected then will turn into a Walker Republican? She is endorsed by some Dems including Peg Lautenschlager and Madison Mayor Paul Soglin so maybe she is ok.

http://lwvdanecounty.org/content/dane-c ... -branch-16
Last edited by Shorty on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lanford v St. John: Dane co Circuit Court judge

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm

She's not a "Walker Republican". I honestly don't know who would make a better judge, but I would not let the fact that Walker appointed her be the sole determinant of my vote. That's a gut reaction to Walker and voting against whoever and whatever he may have touched is too simplistic to me. In a way, that's kind of how he is. You know, Obama favors = bad even if it costs the state a couple billion. Be better than that.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lanford v. St. John: Dane co Circuit Court judge

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Yes they both sound like good candidates. But why would Walker appoint a Dem? Couldn't he find a Republican in Dane co? Why would a Dem accept a Walker appointment?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Shorty wrote:Yes they both sound like good candidates. But why would Walker appoint a Dem? Couldn't he find a Republican in Dane co? Why would a Dem accept a Walker appointment?

You never got a paycheck from a Republican?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

The average worker isn't the same as a judge appointee by a governor. Politics play a much bigger role in the latter.

I still can't decide who to vote for here based on issues and endorsements. It may come down to the small stuff. Lanford has a better hairstyle, but St John is cute like a young Dorothy Hamill...tough decision.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm

St. John might be OK, but Rhonda Lanford comes across as a deeper, more experienced, and more intelligent candidate.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Shorty wrote:Is she back stabbing Walker?

Not at all. She's just returning a compliment. After all, calling a Dane County judge “a liberal activist” is, to the typical Dane County judge, a very high compliment.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 am

St. John's positions on two Supreme Court decisions on the application she submitted to be appointed as a judge by Walker are enough reason not to vote for her in my opinion. In one case she supported a decision (written by Gableman) that denied a defendant a right to a new trial even though new evidence had been introduced that could prove his innocence. In the other case she took issue with a decision where a guy was granted a new trial based on new DNA evidence.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

I love the Peg Lautenschlager endorsement. Now there's a leader with a reputation for using good judement!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby athabasca » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Did anyone else get the fake push-poll call from Rebecca St. John? We got one each of the past two nights. The caller shows up in the Caller ID as something like "Opinion Poll" and they start it as if it's a poll (If the election were held today)... but it's not a poll. They're not collecting answers. If you push a number, it doesn't interrupt the message or move on to the next stage. It just keeps going through the end of the question, makes a pause, and then starts rhapsodizing about what a wonderful candidate is Rebecca St. John.

I don't like being lied to, being told I'm answering a poll when I'm not.

I was already going to vote for Rhonda Lanford. But this might have pissed me off enough to switch my vote if I'd been leaning toward St. John.
athabasca

Postby Shorty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 pm

But it looks like Lanford is guilty of shenanigans, also. She broke a campaign rule.

Judge candidate's email called mistake
http://www.wkow.com/story/21789933/2013 ... ed-mistake

" A spokesperson for a Dane County judicial candidate told 27 News an email solicitation in apparent violation of state supreme court rules was drafted mistakenly to include the candidate's name. The Mar. 19 email from candidate Rhonda Lanford highlighted her campaign's new television ad. It asked recipients, "Can you chip in $10 to keep our ad on the air?" The email solicitation is signed, "Rhonda."

Supreme court rules bar judicial candidates from personally soliciting or accepting campaign contributions. Wisconsin Judicial Commission executive director Jim Alexander said the prohibition includes written appeals. "They can't sign letters saying, 'Contribute to my fund.' " Alexander spoke to 27 News about the rules, and has not reviewed Lanford's email."

jonnygothispen wrote:St. John might be OK, but Rhonda Lanford comes across as a deeper, more experienced, and more intelligent candidate.

Lanford has degrees from UW-Eau Claire and UW-Madison. St. John has degrees from U of Chicago and Oxford. Aren't St. John's colleges more prestigious?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:01 am

St. John does have better educational credentials and has the unavoidable advantage that she's actually been doing the job (and doing it well, by all accounts) for several months. If I'm going to vote to throw someone off the bench, I need a compelling reason to do so-- based on her performance. Show me a bad case dispositional decision she's made. Prove to me she's spending more time on the golf course than on the bench. If the only reason we have to throw her off the bench is that she's a Walker appointee, well, we better get busy tossing those Thompson appointees off the bench, too. Oh, wait, Judge Sumi, hero of the Act 10 struggle, is a Thompson appointee. Never mind. But that's the point. Judicial appointees often disappoint their appointers once they're safe incumbents. I am actually looking forward to a day when Judge St. John supremely disappoints Scott Walker with some decision or another. I think that day will indeed come...
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 am

Shorty wrote:Lanford has degrees from UW-Eau Claire and UW-Madison. St. John has degrees from U of Chicago and Oxford. Aren't St. John's colleges more prestigious?

George W. Bush, graduate of Yale university. 'Nuff said.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Melissa Mulliken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 am

I'm Judge St. John's campaign manager. For anyone who has questions and would like to meet Judge St. John, please come see her, tonight, April 1. She will be at a great little restaurant on Willy Street, Take Five, 901 Williamson Street, corner of Patterson, Monday April 1 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. to answer questions, meet voters and talk about the campaign.
Last edited by Melissa Mulliken on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa Mulliken

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 am

Melissa Mulliken wrote:Willie Street

You're not from around here, are you?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government