MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Scooters and mopeds

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Scooters and mopeds

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 am

jman111 wrote:If you lend enough credence to the possibility that riding a scooter in Madison during the winter is "THE DUMBEST THING EVER" to ask that question, I say asking the question is dumber.

How literal of you.

ArturoBandini wrote:maybe scooters really aren't that dangerous

That's my thought. Driving around on the slippery, slushy streets yesterday, it seemed like driving a scooter at 30 mph with a big backpack on was idiotic. But I didn't witness any spills and rarely have.

Maybe that's because riding one of those things is terrifying and the people who do so are so white-knuckle focused that they avoid danger instinctively.

I think the scooters that don't go much over 35 mph are legally considered "mopeds," while an actual scooter can travel much faster.

What I see a lot of now are these fat-tire deals with aggressive-looking headlights and cages. That's what we saw football players riding.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 am

Mopeds vs. scooters.

Here is the State of Wisconsin's Department of Transportation definition of these.

A moped, sometimes called a "scooter," is a motor vehicle with the engine as an integral part of the vehicle. If the engine is an add-on it's likely the vehicle is a motor bicycle, which has limited operation on highways different from motorcycles and mopeds. A moped engine may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters (CCs) in size with an automatic transmission, or 130 CCs in size if it is a bicycle type vehicle with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power.

Traditionally, mopeds had fully operative pedals but modern mopeds are usually more like small motorcycles with an automatic transmission and no pedals.

A motorized scooter is similar to a traditional foot-propelled scooter with two small wheels except it is powered by either an electric motor or gasoline engine. A person operating a motorized scooter typically is in the standing position although some scooters are equipped with a bicycle seat.

Unlike mopeds, which may be driven legally on public roads, a motorized scooter may not be operated legally on public roads or sidewalks within a roadway’s right-of-way.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:09 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Mopeds vs. scooters.

So, mopeds have pedals, except sometimes they don't. And they have engines smaller than 50c, except sometimes they have bigger engines. And you ride a scooter in standing position, unless you choose to sit on the seat, of course.

More importantly, who cares if they are called scooters or mopeds?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 am

Most of the time, lots of people do.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:55 am

ArturoBandini wrote:Also, seemingly for most scooter pilots, there are only two throttle positions - off and full-blast.

After many years and tens of thousands of miles on a motorcycle, I decided to try my friend's scooter once. ONCE.

We were in a strip mall parking lot and I damn near drove it right through a storefront window. had to put it down to prevent that. Far as I could tell, there were only two speeds, off and full-blast.

I never fully appreciated the stability of a motorcycle until I crashed a scooter.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 pm

I have a 150cc motorcycle with a step thru frame. Most people think it's a scooter but it will do 60 mph (indicated.) I'm going to strap my GPS to it this summer and see how inaccurate the speedo really is.

Licensing requirements are the biggest difference between "mopeds" and motorcycles. Mopeds can be driven by anyone with a drivers license. For motorcycles you need a written and road test and there is a fee of $1/year for the endorsement. WI no longer has graduated motorcycle licenses, pass on a small mc and you can ride any size. I have an 800 lb. motorcycle that is as stable as the 150cc motorcycle but it's a lot harder to pick up if dropped.

My muffler isn't rusted out, it's the rallye model that's meant to sound like that. If the muffler doesn't get your attention the 135 decible horn will.

BTW most moped drivers on campus are idiots.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:06 pm

msnflyer wrote:For motorcycles you need a written and road test and there is a fee of $1/year for the endorsement.

Actually, Class M endorsements are now 18 bucks for an 8 year renewal (in addition to the $34 Class D renewal).
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/dr ... motorcycle
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:37 pm

jman111 wrote:Actually, Class M endorsements are now 18 bucks for an 8 year renewal (in addition to the $34 Class D renewal).
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/dr ... motorcycle

Shows how long it's been since I renewed my DL. I've had an M endorsement since I was 17.
Yes, gasoline motors were in use at the time. :P
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:Is riding a scooter in Madison during the winter the dumbest thing ever or not?

I think there's dumber things...

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:08 pm

I have a scooter. I don't ride it in the wintertime.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe