MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bands that failed to save rock and roll

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Bands that failed to save rock and roll

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm

minicat wrote:plus saying presence is boring is fun, like saying the clash sucks
Mike Love is the best Beach Boy.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
minicat wrote:plus saying presence is boring is fun, like saying the clash sucks
Mike Love is the best Beach Boy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I only meant that in the same way that one might say that freezing-to-death is the best way to die from exposure.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I only meant that in the same way that one might say that freezing-to-death is the best way to die from exposure.

it's best not to say "exposure" anywhere in the vicinity of referencing Mike Love.

I guess I have to listen to Presence again.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Back on track (maybe?). A band that valiantly failed to save rock'n'roll and went down grinning.

Context: Imagine if you will, a band being formed in Minneapolis the middle of the "grunge"/alterna-boom of the mid-90s. Eschewing all popular trends of the time, they play catchy, brazen, and sometimes bizarre high-volume rock'n'roll at its most cartoonish. They tour, open for some big names. They release an unprecedented TWO major-label flop albums (with a self-released one in between, all are pretty damn good). They pull stunts constantly: play a full-volume impromptu concert on the back of a flat-bed truck at a downtown Minneapolis post office to coincide with the tax day deadline; hire a helicopter pilot to dump Flipp-O's (generic Fruit Loop cereal) on the crowd while they played an outdoor festival; get banned from the city of Milwaukee for tossing beers to underagers from their Summerfest stage; held contests where the winners got to have the band come to your garage and play a concert to your entire neighborhood, etc.

I give you Flipp. They are on my mind as they just posted their rare Cereal Box EP (originally packaged in a small box of Flipp-Os).

https://soundcloud.com/flipp-tunes/sets/cereal-box-live-ep

I saw this band play many times, I wish I could have seen them more. No matter how small the venue, they brought an arsenal of gear to let you visually know they were not fucking around.....a back-lined wall of Kustom amplifiers, all with padded-Naugahyde covering, in every color of the rainbow, half of them filled with triggered lights.

The recordings never really do justice to a band that was ultimately pure rock'n'roll. Loud, hooky, offensive (but only if you took offense), smart enough to do dumb shit and get away with it, endlessly energetic, and above all pure unadulterated FUN.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:34 pm

minicat wrote:I guess I have to listen to Presence again.
This time, pay attention.

Kyle Motor wrote:I give you Flipp.
Based on those three tracks and your recommendation, I just went to Amazon and purchased 2 of their 3 CDs.
Grand total: $7.18.
I love the internet.

BTW -- that was the best "My Sharona" I've ever heard.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:BTW -- that was the best "My Sharona" I've ever heard.

Another of their live-show perks......a few times a show they'd tear into an over-amped classic rock cover for a verse or chorus, just long enough to really get people going, then stop dead without finishing the song, only to quickly jump into another of their own.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

"I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." - Senator Lloyd Bentsen

If you get what I'm tryin' to say.

I've tried to like the Black Keys, but it just doesn't do it for me. I think it's their drummer.

Uh, yeah. They're no Led Zepplin. Not saying they're bad, mind you, but I'm not seeing it. This is my first exposure to this band (I'm way behind on my pop rock/adult album alternative ((or whatever it's called)) listening. These guys got a nomination? And Mumford? I guess I'm just glad it wasn't BonIver.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby acereraser » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:Another of their live-show perks......a few times a show they'd tear into an over-amped classic rock cover for a verse or chorus, just long enough to really get people going, then stop dead without finishing the song, only to quickly jump into another of their own.

I saw them a few times when I was living in the Cities. You are right, they were guaranteed fun, but some of their madcap antics hit me as more self-aggrandizement than an effort to save rock and roll. Maybe I was cynical, but hey, I still enjoyed their shows.

I remember once at the Entry, after a particularly risky number (which I don't remember, natch), the lead singer said, "There is a fine line between stupid and clever." Good clue as to the edge they were riding.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 am

acereraser wrote:I saw them a few times when I was living in the Cities. You are right, they were guaranteed fun, but some of their madcap antics hit me as more self-aggrandizement than an effort to save rock and roll. Maybe I was cynical, but hey, I still enjoyed their shows.

In their case, I think the self-aggrandizement was part of the fun. I doubt they were consciously trying to "save rock'n'roll", I think they had a lot of wacky ideas and followed through however they wanted. They definitely put an emphasis on showmanship.

acereraser wrote:I remember once at the Entry, after a particularly risky number (which I don't remember, natch), the lead singer said, "There is a fine line between stupid and clever." Good clue as to the edge they were riding.

Yup, exactly.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 am

Yup, Flipp! (I like them.)

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but:

A) Yeah, Presence is a group of really talented guys "jamming funky", with an extra-doped up Robert Plant on the mic (sitting, right? Isn't this the leg-break album?). Pretty sure that's why it white-spots Mini's brain (and mine) - it's just lacking tunes.

B) Black Keys - yeah, early on they were a cool sounding band lacking tunes. I like that they've transcended a pretty ghetto genre (blues rock) and to me, they're just straight up good rock song dudes. Nothing very challenging or whatever, but it's fun (as opposed to "fun.", which suuuuuuuuuucks).

Another rock saving failure - Lil' Wayne. What a let down!

On the way to work this morning, WSUM had a show on where the DJ plays all songs from one city. They highlighted Los Angeles this morning and it reminded me that while we squabble about who has "failed to save rock & roll", it almost certainly is Los Angeles that actually killed it (Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Crazy Town, Guns N Roses - douche capitol of the world!).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am

Presence-off 2013

First off ... wow, do I have a weird copy of this. I bought this one new in the 80s, in a store; since I never listened to it much, it's the only one of the complete set I bought new as a teenager that's not been since replaced. However, the pressing itself is an RCA record club cut, and apparently the stampers were re-used by Atlantic itself ... the label itself has both catalog numbers on it, but the LP is pressed by Specialty, who did many Atlantic pressings at the time. Right off the bat, I can say this is compromised sonically, which may have colored my impression of this album over the years.

But listening to it again ... I just don't know that it matters much. More Led Zeppelin is almost never a bad thing, and I wouldn't say this is a bad record. But other than the two "hits" (Achilles & Nobody's Fault, which both go on too long) this still sounds mostly like a band running on fumes and Physical Graffiti leftovers to me. (the comment upthread about Plant being injured during the sessions makes perfect sense when hearing this.) The album closer "Tea for One" is just a re-write of "Since I've Been Loving You." And a couple other songs sound like they were trying to create their own version of "Groovin'" by Ben E. King.

C, and that's generous. This is easily their least interesting studio record.

And to respond to rrrrrrrrrnate: fun does really, really, really suck. Man, that song they won the Grammy for bloooooooowwwws.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm

minicat wrote:Man, that song they won the Grammy for bloooooooowwwws.

I would have to say it's the Grammys that blow more than anything. Yes, Fun sucks an assdouche, but so did most other acts up for nomination.

Can someone explain to me how Gotye is alternative.

It made me realize that it's not about bands that failed to save rock and roll, but the fact that the general public and those in the industry(not really the musicians) have their heads up their ass.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It made me realize that it's not about bands that failed to save rock and roll, but the fact that the general public and those in the industry(not really the musicians) have their heads up their ass.

Well, yeah, that would be the bigger problem in my opinion.

I guess some would argue they're giving the public what they want, but I'd argue it's more of a situation of forcing the public to think they want this junk because no other options are offered -- at least, as far as mass media goes (radio, TV play). Obviously, there's more options than ever if you're searching the 'net.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 pm

minicat wrote:Obviously, there's more options than ever if you're searching the 'net.

Yes, but people are lazy. They still gravitate towards whatever is repeatedly shoved in their face.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music