MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Pizza delivery

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Pizza delivery

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm

shyguy wrote:There've been other threads here that have discussed the best "Chicago" style pizza. That's my standard for pizza, thin crust Chicago-style.

So I was curious about this and did an image search for Chicago Style Pizza and this is what I came up with.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sug ... yAG7hIDQDQ

Don't get me wrong, my favorite is the cracker thin crust, but I always thought the above was "Chicago Style"
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Stebben84 wrote:So I was curious about this and did an image search for Chicago Style Pizza and this is what I came up with.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite is the cracker thin crust, but I always thought the above was "Chicago Style"

I feel like shyguy might be pizza-trolling just a bit by offering that statement without clarification, because you're right, Stebben -- that's what most people (I'd say people outside Chicago, anyway) think of as Chicago-style pizza.

But Chicagoans also lay claim to what's often known as tavern-style pizza: "a thin-crust, circular pizza cut into squares." This, I imagine, is what shyguy means.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:But Chicagoans also lay claim to what's often known as tavern-style pizza: "a thin-crust, circular pizza cut into squares." This, I imagine, is what shyguy means.

That's what I'm used to from Kenosha. Interesting that I've never heard it referred to as "tavern style"
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm

I would refer to that as St. Louis style pizza.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shyguy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Sorry to take so long to follow-up. No, no trolling intended . . . .

I'm just saying, I grew up on the south side and when we got pizza, we got thin crust (yes, always always cut in "squares"). Deep dish was something you got "downtown", at Uno or Due or Gino's East. At our joints, Cardello's on 111th St., Roseangela's on 95th, Fox Beverly Pub on Western, Palermo's on 95th, you didn't get deep dish. You got thin crust.

So, to me, the pizza joints in Madison that come closest to that style of Chicago thin crust, are Gino's and Bella talia.

Rosati's does make a decent deep dish, and of course Rocky's is "traditonal".
shyguy

Postby hollywood » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Cafe La Bellitalia on Sherman is the ONLY place I get delivered anymore if not super late, though I often make or embellish my own now, or might buy a NY slice on State St if working downtown...
http://www.cafelabellitaliamadison.com/index.html
Great crust, good choice of veggie ingredients, cut in squares, some uncommon sauces available for extra charge, etc. They have a deal if you order 2 at the same time. Great other dishes as well. Nice place to eat at too. La Roccas was great but moved.
hollywood

Postby hellogoodbye » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm

A little off topic since it can't be delivered up north.

Thin crust, cut in squares ="Chicago Box". That is how I've always heard it referred to growing up in the south suburbs. My favorite to this day is cooked in the old oven at Aurelio's in Homewood, IL, 60430. http://aureliospizza.com/about.php Man I dream about that pizza all the time. Sweet sauce is the secret.

I like Anna's Pizzeria in Sun Prairie and it is the closest I've found to traditional Chicago box near Madison. They deliver in Sun Prairie but not Madison.

Another plug, probably the best pizza I've had in WI was from Zaffiro's Restaurant at 1724 North Farwell Avenue, Milwaukee. Always packed and have to wait but Chicago box with an extremely thin crust. I could eat 10 of their larges by myself. http://www.zaffirospizza.com/
hellogoodbye

Postby Igor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:58 pm

My favorite pieces of pizza are the "corner" ones on a round tavern style pizza...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am

Yes, Anna's Pizza in Sun Prairie. I helped a friend move a little while back and we ended up at Anna's afterwards. Walking in I didn't have great expectations. It looked a lot like my grandmothers house from 40 years ago. Once the pizza was delivered I almost had a tear in my eye. Damn that was some outstanding pizza. Wish they delivered to Madison.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm

It's not delivery, but I just ate at S2 pizzabar on State. It's owned by the same guy as Ians. This is some of the best pizza I've had in town. Small menu, but we had three different pizzas and they were all great. I tried they're cheese pizza and it may have been my favorite which is crazy cause it's just a cheese pizza. The salads were great and I tried some of the best coleslaw I've ever had. Plus, they're 12" pizza are anywhere from 8-10 dollars. I don't know of anyone, not even pizza pit, who could compete with that.

I'll say I was skeptical when I saw another pizza place open up, but they've come close to nailing it for me.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I'll say I was skeptical when I saw another pizza place open up, but they've come close to nailing it for me.
No kidding. And this place is nearly invisible. I wouldn't have seen it.
I second the recommendation. In once sense, it's like all the other places, with tissue-thin paper napkins and cheesy too-loud music. But the pizza is very good. The slaw looked very appealing, but I didn't get to try it. I'll definitely be back.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 pm

fennel wrote:cheesy too-loud music

At least when I was there, I didn't remember hearing any music.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

S2 to close.
Reportedly, there's a lack of business. When I was there at lunch today, it was very close to full capacity. Maybe it's the evenings that are off. I have to admit, I probably walked by the place 40 times and never noticed it. It was only the post here that brought it to my attention.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Xiao Mao » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:23 pm

That deep-dish looks so, so good... :9

I miss LaRocca's, and I also miss Pizza Extreme on the East side.

Where can I get a pizza like that deep-dish? Even a good pan-style pizza would be great, even if they didn't deliver.
Xiao Mao

Postby Petro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Xiao Mao wrote:That deep-dish looks so, so good... :9

I miss LaRocca's, and I also miss Pizza Extreme on the East side.

Where can I get a pizza like that deep-dish? Even a good pan-style pizza would be great, even if they didn't deliver.

Rosati's is the best that I've had in town. Granted, there's not exactly a lot of competition.

When I lived in Chicago, Rosati's was mediocre. Now that I'm here, their beef & deep dish is a big fish in a much smaller pond. To their credit, they're serving the same product in all of their locations that I've sampled.

That $2.75 delivery charge seems a bit excessive, though. I still pay it. Probably because I'm lazy.
Petro
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews