MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Red alert?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Red alert?

Postby doppel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm

The Dept of Homeland Security recommends that everyone disable Java on their computers as some sort of threat is unresolved by Oracle. Just a heads up in case you missed it in the news and believe that Janet isn't doing something sneaky. And here's the proud picture directly from Homeland Security's web site showing Fema's response to Hurricane Sandy. Fema is part of HS. Whole lot of finger pointing going on. Got to make everyone feel better, don't ya think?

Image
doppel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: varies

Re: Red alert?

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 pm

doppel wrote:The Dept of Homeland Security recommends that everyone disable Java on their computers as some sort of threat is unresolved by Oracle. Just a heads up in case you missed it in the news and believe that Janet isn't doing something sneaky. And here's the proud picture directly from Homeland Security's web site showing Fema's response to Hurricane Sandy. Fema is part of HS. Whole lot of finger pointing going on. Got to make everyone feel better, don't ya think?

Image


I don't get it. So the Java warning is a red herring to get us to ignore the terrible job FEMA is doing with Hurricane Sandy cleanup, as evidenced by this benign photo?

Did you have dinner with John Henry? Oh, and nice image URL. Oy!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Red alert?

Postby doppel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 pm

pjbogart wrote:I don't get it. So the Java warning is a red herring to get us to ignore the terrible job FEMA is doing with Hurricane Sandy cleanup, as evidenced by this benign photo?


No I was warning people about a possible threat to their computers. I verified the threat at the HS website, saw the pic, and LOL'D. I found it to be a good example of HS's performance and passed it on. Red alert is a term HS uses, hence the title. Do you get it now?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: varies

Re: Red alert?

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:09 pm

So what does this mean?

doppel wrote:Just a heads up in case you missed it in the news and believe that Janet isn't doing something sneaky.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Red alert?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 pm

pjbogart wrote:So what does this mean?

doppel wrote:Just a heads up in case you missed it in the news and believe that Janet isn't doing something sneaky.



Just a guess
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1882
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Red alert?

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 am

Nope. Still don't get it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Red alert?

Postby doppel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am

pjbogart wrote:Nope. Still don't get it.


pjbogart wrote:So what does this mean?

doppel wrote:Just a heads up in case you missed it in the news and believe that Janet isn't doing something sneaky.


Maybe you should review your notes from your English as a second language class. I was positing that there are some people who don't trust the government. Especially when they ask you to modify your computer settings. I threw caution to the wind and turned off my Java. If you can understand this, I wondering if you did too. Did you disable Java on your computer?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: varies

Re: Red alert?

Postby kurt_w » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 am

doppel wrote:Maybe you should review your notes from your English as a second language class.


The problem isn't PJ. Your post at the top of this thread was pretty much incoherent.

It probably makes sense inside your head, but that doesn't mean it makes sense outside.

The second sentence of your post seemed to imply that when someone learns that DHS is urging people to disable Java on their computers due to a security threat, that person would then believe that Janet (i.e., DHS?) is "up to something sneaky". Since you made a point of informing people about the DHS announcement in your first sentence, you presumably wanted to convey the impression that DHS is "up to something sneaky".

If that was your point, you're a paranoid idiot on a par with John Henry.

If that wasn't your point, your post was even more incoherent than it seemed.

Either way, you're in no position to be snapping at PJ for wondering what the fuck you were trying to say.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4815
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Red alert?

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 pm

I couldn't understand it either, and I thought the picture was perfectly benign.

As everyone here can tell, I have absolutely no sense of irony, so take that for what it's worth. But WTF? If you have a real warning about something it might help to post it in plain English.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 10937
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Red alert?

Postby doppel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 pm

kurt_w wrote:
The problem isn't PJ. Your post at the top of this thread was pretty much incoherent.

The second sentence of your post seemed to imply that when someone learns that DHS is urging people to disable Java on their computers due to a security threat, that person would then believe that Janet (i.e., DHS?) is "up to something sneaky". Since you made a point of informing people about the DHS announcement in your first sentence, you presumably wanted to convey the impression that DHS is "up to something sneaky".

If that wasn't your point, your post was even more incoherent than it seemed.

Either way, you're in no position to be snapping at PJ for wondering what the fuck you were trying to say.


As I explained in my last post "I was positing that there are some people who don't trust the government." Didn't you read it? In my first post perhaps I was too obtuse. Point granted.

And I am in position to be snapping at PJ. The only reason he bothered replying at all is he considers me the king of the douches. Three quick replies just to stir the pot. And I bet he's starting to get half a rise having the great and powerful Kurt W going to bat for him in a his pissing contest.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: varies

Re: Red alert?

Postby Galoot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:40 pm

doppel wrote: The only reason he bothered replying at all is he considers me the king of the douches.


Come now. I hardly think he considers you to be king. You're barely eligible for the House of Douche-Lords at all.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm

Re: Red alert?

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:25 pm

doppel wrote:And I am in position to be snapping at PJ. The only reason he bothered replying at all is he considers me the king of the douches. Three quick replies just to stir the pot. And I bet he's starting to get half a rise having the great and powerful Kurt W going to bat for him in a his pissing contest.


Well, it's always nice to have Kurt back you up, but mostly I'm just relieved that other people couldn't understand what you were talking about either. My brain is pretty much soaking in a brine of coffee and beer and it's sometimes hard to tell whether the caffeine or alcohol is steering the bus.

And Doppel, I'm sorry if you got the impression that I think that you're the king of the douches. I never thought anyone would be able to touch Flanders' crown, but after a very productive year of douchebaggery, he has been dethroned by Meade and his Nuthouse companion, John Henry. You're really going to have to step up your game if you want to catch overachievers like that.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6019
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm


Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Archipants and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar