MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Sen. Grothman declares war on Kwanzaa

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Sen. Grothman declares war on Kwanzaa

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Some conservative commentators decry efforts to make the Christmas season more ecumenical through phrases such as "Happy Holidays!" calling it part of a national "war on Christmas."

Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, has opened a new front in the battle by declaring his own war on Kwanzaa, the African-American holiday established in the 1960s that is celebrated between Christmas and New Year's.

"Of course, almost no black people today care about Kwanzaa — just white left-wingers who try to shove this down black people's throats in an effort to divide Americans," Grothman said in a statement late last week.

His statements have received national media attention.

I guess he knows what is best for black people. Why the fuck does he even care about Kwanzaa?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sen. Grothman declares war on Kwanzaa

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:31 pm

He seems to love tilting at windmills. Thing is, his constituents know what he's all about. They keep reelecting him. I have no doubt they approve of this and if anything like him even more.

I apologize for being Mr. Obvious, but I just have a hard time getting my mind around how people can still be so small and bigoted. And that's what he represents.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 pm

I look this and at other Grothman antics more as a personality problem than a political problem.

Grothman regularly exhibits attention-seeking, bully boy behavior. He's not very well thought of in political circles, and has very little depth in his understanding of state issues. Essentially he's a predictable cipher. I've heard him on Mitch Henck's show, and he's devoid of substance, throwing zingers or spouting predictable b.s. that any two-bit Tea Partier knows by heart. It's a giant waste of a legislative seat, but his ego won't let him see what everyone else can see. Essentially he's a political hack who feels he deserves more attention. I guess trying to start a fight over Kwanzaa is his pitiful attempt at pumping up his ego.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:Grothman plagiarized his anti-Kwanza article from Ann Coulter

Stupid is as stupid does.

Funny thing, I saw her picture when I was looking up "bile" in the dictionary.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government