MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bands that failed to save rock and roll

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Bands that failed to save rock and roll

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm

rrnate wrote:Uh, I'd take any study that says that with a grain of self-reporting-non-observed-respondents-also-claim-they-don't-masturbate grain of salt.

Well, considering I've only masturbated once in my life(by accident and I didn't like it), I don't know what you're trying to say.

On a related note, I guess I'm wondering what constitutes "rock and roll." Nickleback(sic), Linkin park, Black Keys, Mumford and Sons(sic), and others were mentioned that I wouldn't even consider rock and roll. Some are new metal(sad, sad, oh very sad) and others are pop. What is the criteria?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:16 pm

rrnate wrote:Counterpoint - most people that like good rock bands steal albums online now, as opposed to buying them at Sam Goody, or wherever the F people are buying Creed these days.

FWIW, seems most teens listen to music on YouTube, which isn't stealing. Is it?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
rrnate wrote:Counterpoint - most people that like good rock bands steal albums online now, as opposed to buying them at Sam Goody, or wherever the F people are buying Creed these days.

FWIW, seems most teens listen to music on YouTube, which isn't stealing. Is it?

Sure, and Spotify, and blah blah blah. My point isn't "kids steal!" - it's that the big sellers of the last decade (really across all genres, not just rock) are mostly selling to a more luddite, more hold-over crowd who for whatever reason still buy everything they listen to, hence the perceived "man, this shit has been the same awful stuff for ten years" vibe of said sales charts.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
rrnate wrote:Uh, I'd take any study that says that with a grain of self-reporting-non-observed-respondents-also-claim-they-don't-masturbate grain of salt.

Well, considering I've only masturbated once in my life(by accident and I didn't like it), I don't know what you're trying to say.

On a related note, I guess I'm wondering what constitutes "rock and roll." Nickleback(sic), Linkin park, Black Keys, Mumford and Sons(sic), and others were mentioned that I wouldn't even consider rock and roll. Some are new metal(sad, sad, oh very sad) and others are pop. What is the criteria?

Heh. I think at this point, it's very safe to call Black Keys a rock band - their last three albums or so have all been way more Bad Company than Blues.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:08 pm

rrnate wrote:it's very safe to call Black Keys a rock band - their last three albums or so have all been way more Bad Company than Blues.

Or, in Muddy's words, "The Blues Had A Baby And They Named It Rock And Roll".
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 am

That is certainly reason number 1. There are a couple others though:

- 21 year old drinking age - I think this is a solid #2 after getting the music for free. Many bands started as cover bands in bars, and 18-21 year olds were the market for that.

- The movement of mainstream white rock to country radio. I listen to very little modern country - but much of it seems like what used to be rock, with a pedal steel thrown on it and sung with an accent.

- Replacement of hair metal with Alternative Rock - alternative fans seemed a lot more snooty towards other bands in the same scene. When hard rock/metal was big, it seemed like the same folks came out and saw every show in the genre.

- Over pricing CDs - some LPs were 2 singles and a bunch of filler. However, when CDs came out (a *cheaper* medium) prices did not go down, they went up. I think that turned many people off

- Lack of DJ input into song selection - I'm sure much of it was done by payola back in the day, but at least there was the impression that the DJ could be playing you a new awesome tune that he just discovered.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

rrnate wrote:.....in fact, it makes me feel good about myself and my ska band, who are on schedule to save rock and roll in 2014 (by assassinating Kyle Motor).

5th-wave ska is the new 4th-wave ska. It will also fail to save rock'n'roll.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 am

Everybody seems quite certain that rock and roll needs saving. Any predictions on time of death if the Savior Band doesn't show up?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am

rabble wrote:Everybody seems quite certain that rock and roll needs saving. Any predictions on time of death if the Savior Band doesn't show up?

It'll probably never be mainstream again. But is that a bad thing? Who really cares about having a savior band bring rock'n'roll back to the mainstream? Maybe the guy who started the Katy Perry thread. Oh wait.........
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am

Stone Temple Pilots and The Killers had legit good first efforts and frittered it all away. (You could argue that both had already started to flame out before the end of their first albums.) Limp Bizkit was the most insidious for crafting what we all thought was a hilariously over-the-top cross-genre-cover of George Michael's "Faith" -- only to reveal in subsequent releases that they were serious. Limp Bizkit was the virus that decimated rock and roll's immune system.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:06 pm

rabble wrote:Everybody seems quite certain that rock and roll needs saving. Any predictions on time of death if the Savior Band doesn't show up?

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 pm

ELECTRIC GUITAR inspired by adam levine - $70

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/3528871505.html
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:17 pm

christopher_robin wrote:ELECTRIC GUITAR inspired by adam levine - $70

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/3528871505.html

It's bad enough you're trolling the Rock nerds but did you have to troll us Guitar nerds at the same time? There is just so much to hate about that craigslist ad.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

This is the future of rock and roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BSkq-_St8#!
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music