MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 am

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Al Jazeera buys Gore's Current TV

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 am

Al Jazeera rocks. It's criminal that they have been black-balled out of mainstream America. We have 500 cable channels, and the distributors claim there isn't enough interest to justify Al Jazeera? Baloney. I don't quite understand the details of this new deal, but I sure hope we get Al Jazeera on Charter one of these decades.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am

This was all a misunderstanding. It was all a simple Craigslist deal in which Al and Bonnie Jazera, purchased Al Gore's current 40" Magnavox tube TV. It seems Gore is upgrading to a flat-screen Sony.

Jazera said he has no qualms about acquiring the 190LB, 27 year old stereo console. "I've got a couple of strong kids to move it, and they just don't make em like this anymore."
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

I knew Gore was a Muslim, I just knew it.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

There are several interesting things about this in no particular order.

1) Algore is getting rich off of oil which he claims will destroy the Earth. Used to claim that. Perhaps he doesn't anymore. Perhaps he never really cared about the environment, just liked making money. Image
http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2007 ... iningx.jpg

Perhaps he will now use his $100mm to buy coal mines.

2) Al Jazeera seems to have gotten taken. They thought they were buying 40mm homes but the day after the deal Time-Warner dropped them in 12mm homes.

3) They scurried to complete the deal before 12/31 to avoid paying extra taxes. I have no problem with this. We have a responsibility to pay no more taxes than we are legally liable for. However, isn't Gore one of the ones who are always say the high income should pay more? Good for the goose, good for the gander.

4) Glenn Beck offered to buy the network, apparently. He was turned down based on his politics. Depending on what he offered and how, if it was more/better than Al Jazeera wound up paying, Some minority shareholder may have grounds for a lawsuit. Even if that Harvard law professor says that such lawsuits can't happen.

OTOH, Glenn Beck is doing just fine where he is. If he did offer to buy Current, I doubt if he offered anything like $500mm.

5) It demonstrates that even if one doesn't do good in politics, one can still do well.

6) I wonder if Current has any Jewish employees? Will they be allowed to stay on? Will they be discriminated against by the new owners? Will the new owners, by supporting anti-semitism and/or anti-zionism globally (if they do) be creating a hostile work environment under state and federal law? Even if they do not discriminate against any actual employees.

Plenty of potentially interesting lawsuits there.

Or, perhaps they will treat their Jewish employees impartially and fairly as they are required to do under US law. What will this do to their credibility in the Arab world?

7) Will Al Jazeera, dependent on oil money, use the channel as a platform for anti-natural gas propaganda?

I predict that this will be very interesting. I also predict that Al Jazeera will do no better with the channel than Algore and friends did. If the channel still exists in 3-4 years someone else will probably own it. Perhaps Glenn Beck?

I used to get Current when I had Dish Network. Even watched it from time to time. I do not get it from Liberty Cable.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm

You should ask around, John. I'm sure there's a market for good comedy writers even in the area where you claim to live. I'm glad to have given you a good starting point for your alternate history stories.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:There are several interesting things about this in no particular order.

Well said, JH, well said.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:16 pm

rabble wrote:You should ask around, John. I'm sure there's a market for good comedy writers even in the area where you claim to live. I'm glad to have given you a good starting point for your alternate history stories.

Anything factually incorrect or untrue in my note, Rabble?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:22 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Anything factually incorrect or untrue in my note, Rabble?

Well for starters his name is Al Gore.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:26 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Well for starters his name is Al Gore.

Notice that "Glenn Beck" gets the respect of actual name recognition.
No Beckie, or Glennie, or Becko...
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

And apparently he's doing quite well. I haven't heard his name in quite some time, well except for the occasional "pants-shittingly crazy as Glenn Beck" insult.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:

johnfajardohenry wrote:
5) It demonstrates that even if one doesn't do good in politics, one can still do well.

I know it involves analysis, and not straight factual measurement, but I think your statement is untrue that Gore didn't "do good in politics". What are your criteria? And once we settle on that, who did better, Gore or Palin?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
rabble wrote:You should ask around, John. I'm sure there's a market for good comedy writers even in the area where you claim to live. I'm glad to have given you a good starting point for your alternate history stories.

John Henry

I searched for all the stuff you mentioned and couldn't find anything. Got links?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

And apparently he's doing quite well. I haven't heard his name in quite some time, well except for the occasional "pants-shittingly crazy as Glenn Beck" insult.

Well, just cause you mentioned it.

Conservative radio host Glenn Beck has an intriguing New Year's resolution — he is determined to no longer mention President Barack Obama on his show.
Beck described the new policy on his show Wednesday, saying that any staffer who "brings him up" except for Beck will be fired.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/glenn-be ... z2GwsG2J17

Because how can you have a serious conversation about politics while also mentioning the president by name.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm

jman111 wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Well for starters his name is Al Gore.

No Beckie, or Glennie, or Becko...

Well, Duh...

I respect Glenn Beck. I don't respect Algore.

I don't follow him much but the little I see and hear of him sounds good to me.

He self-identifies as libertarian so that is enough to get my respect.

As to how well he is doing, according to NPR he is apparently doing better than ever.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/21/161495610 ... glenn-beck

$40mm/yr (gross) just from his website. Plus his radio show on hundreds of stations.

I would say he is doing OK.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines