MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Verona cancels school before a single flake falls

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Verona cancels school before a single flake falls

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:25 pm

I get the logistics of closing school, but you'd think they might wait until it actually starts snowing, wouldn't you?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Verona cancels school before a single flake falls

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Usually this sort of preventive cancelation only happens after you've already rolled a couple school buses during the winter.

that being said, YAY NO SCHOOL WOO HOOOOOOOOOOO
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 pm

MATC, too. I think these are good decisions. Though it might be possible to get IN to schools tomorrow, it will likely be very blizzard-like when it's time to get out.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:51 pm

The governator is also getting into the act:

Governor Walker Declares State of Emergency in Response to Severe Winter Weather

Madison – Today, Governor Walker issued an Executive Order declaring a State of Emergency in response to the upcoming winter storm. Heavy snowfall and strong winds are expected to be moving across the state beginning on December 19, 2012. The Executive Order will ready the Wisconsin Emergency Management, the Wisconsin National Guard, the State Patrol, and other Wisconsin state agencies.

“I issued this executive order to make sure Wisconsin is prepared for whatever this winter storm may bring,” Governor Walker said. “Mobilizing our state agency resources during this storm will ensure we leave nothing to chance when it comes to protecting the citizens of Wisconsin.”

The Wisconsin State Patrol and the National Weather Service are urging citizens to avoid traveling. Emergency Operation Centers (E.O.C.) will open tonight at 8 PM when the E.O.C. status is changed to level 3. Level 4 is the status under normal conditions. Changing the level will be the first stage of activation for Wisconsin Emergency Managment. The Department of Administration will be the point of contact regarding all state closures.

A state of emergency? Really? I'm all for public safety, but c'mon ... we live in frickin' Wisconsin, already.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 pm

I believe the only proper response to a "Snow Emergency" in Wisconsin is to wake up an hour earlier.

My routine is to grumble barely audible swears about the “white shit outside” as to not wake my lovely and warm wife who has burritoed herself into the bed moments after my rising. Start the coffee maker earlier than its auto-start time. Do a shit job of shoveling on the first pass, because lets face it – I’m only opening my eyes for short intervals. Go inside. Coffee. Go back outside and make a second pass so the neighbor’s corgi can make his morning rounds. This routine is repeated when I get home from work except I substitute beer for coffee. Done. Although if I have the option of calling in the National Guard, I might just take the Governor up on the offer...

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Summit Credit Union has emailed me that all of their branches will be closed tomorrow. Can't wait to see what's next! The boss has already told us all to work from home.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:07 pm

My doctor (the doctor, not staff) called last night to reschedule my Thursday morning appointment due to the storm.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Maybe it's a huge help for people who need to take off work to care for their kids or make arrangements. That's a plus.

The minus: We get four inches and it's no big deal.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 pm

The people who bug me far more than those who are proactive in emergency situations are the effing idiots who think they are going to go to work in a blinding snowstorm, get stuck or have an accident, and cause unneeded delays in street plowing and extra hazards for emergency personnel. Generally, I'd lock these people up for stealing taxpayer resources.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 pm

December 16-22 is UW finals week. If they close tomorrow it's going to be holy hell and a half trying to make that up. Especially for any graduating seniors who are expecting to go straight from there to a job a thousand miles away.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 pm

jjoyce wrote:Maybe it's a huge help for people who need to take off work to care for their kids

That's what they've got these for.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

A few years ago, when we got all that snow, a guy comes careening down my street and bottoms out on a day when a lot of people were home to deal with a massive storm. My neighbors and I are all out shoveling, so we pitch in to get him out of the drift. He, of course, isn't even wearing gloves and is totally unprepared for the weather. He was taking a shortcut down our street because he was late for work and had no idea that it wouldn't be plowed. For someone that oblivious, it doesn't matter how much attention it gets in the media before hand. Stupid is as stupid does.

Of course, as we were digging his car out for him, he started to complain about the lack of basic services in the city.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 pm

MPS closed now as well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Actually, since tomorrow is a day I pretty much have to be at work, it will probably snow 25 inches.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:57 pm

minicat wrote:Actually, since tomorrow is a day I pretty much have to be at work, it will probably snow 25 inches.

Yeah, and I'm taking care of my relative's two pooches for him.....who live completely on the other side of town. Gonna suck to be us.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines