MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Thanks, Wisconsin

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Thanks, Wisconsin

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Michigan, home of the UAW, Teamsters (in essence) and many other historical unions has just passed a right to work law. Indiana did the same thing a few months ago.

I have mixed feelings about right to work laws. If there were meaningful agency shop arrangements, I would not support them at all. By meaningful, I mean where workers were only charged for money the union spends representing them.

If workers had the regular opportunity to vote to continue with a union, say every 5-10 years, I would not support RTW laws.

Since they have neither, RTW laws are a an alternative and I am reluctantly in favor of them.

So good on MI and IN.

And thank you Wisconsin for showing how fundamentally weak union support really is. It is like you pulled the screen from the mighty Oz. Without your sideshow in Madison, people might still believe that unions have something to offer and/or the power of enforcement.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Thanks, Wisconsin

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I've always felt that unions are almost always caused by bad management.

Good workplaces with good management, have no need for unions.

I've worked in 2 union companies: American Dispenser Co (NYC, 1967) and Todd Shipyards (Brooklyn, 1971). I quit both before the time I had to join the union. Neither of them had enough money to keep me working there. The actual jobs were not bad. The union BS was horrible.

Since 1985, I spent a fair amount of time in union companies, though not as an employee. Not very attractive places to work, from what I've seen.

I mostly blame management.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:00 pm

What's a guy gotta do to find a quality pen these days? This one I'm using is the second in a row that's exploded apart at some point just because I was clicking it as it's designed to be clicked. Don't get me wrong, it writes great and I'm a big proponent of this gel ink stuff: smooth, flows nicely without leaving globs, drys quickly and doesn't smudge or fade. But what use are all these refills if the pen itself is falling apart?

Big shock: It's made in China. What, do I have to shell out for a Parker or Cross? And are those even made domestically anymore? Seems to me I heard they're not.

What a pisser. Just when you think you've found a quality product. I'm particular about my pens, dammit. This is gonna set me back some serious product research time.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm

The thing about outsourced pens is that they're so much cheaper and Americans don't want to pay a lot for their pens. So instead of buying one American pen made by a company that pays a living wage for $5, they buy a ten pack of pens made in China for $5.

And three months later, they buy another ten pack. Because not only do the pens break, but they just get lost and when they coast so little, who cares, right?

I wonder if the governor of Wisconsin still signs all legislation with a Parker pen.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:What a pisser. Just when you think you've found a quality product. I'm particular about my pens, dammit. This is gonna set me back some serious product research time.

At work they picked up some Pentel EnerGel pens. I too am particular about my pens. It's smooth with a nice tight drawing line. It's a needle tip(.5 mm) I haven't had any explosion problems.

It is made in Japan not China. A step up? I dunno.

This is the particular pen:

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ ... LABEPMCMAg
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:I wonder if the governor of Wisconsin still signs all legislation with a Parker pen.

As a side note, Paul Ryan now lives in the house once owned by George Parker, founder of Parker pens.

http://curbed.com/archives/2012/08/30/v ... ansion.php
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm

When I left my husband I took all the Parker pens in the house, even the silver one, with the criss cross design, with the gold arrow.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Bananas are delicious and I often eat them for breakfast.
ColumbiaCounty

Postby DCB » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Once global warming really kicks in, you'll be able to grow bananas in your backyard.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:31 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:I have mixed feelings about right to work laws.

Show of hands, please, for all who care about John Boy's feelings about right-to-work-for-less laws.

I thought so.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 pm

DCB wrote:Once global warming really kicks in, you'll be able to grow bananas in your backyard.

My backyard is full of shitty pens that Schick keeps tossing over the fence. And besides, bananas are super cheap, why bother trying to grow them yourself? What I need is a New York Strip tree.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 am

pjbogart wrote:What I need is a New York Strip tree.

Well, they're growing meat in labs now so I'd say greenhouse beef is probably right around the corner. Wouldn't hold out for a meat tree though. Just imagine the feral visitors such a thing would attract.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:50 am

Show of hands, please, for all who care about Stu Boy's feelings about anything.

I thought so.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 am

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 am

Stebben, I could swear those digits of yours look exactly like Alderman Brian Solomon's.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government