MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

yes!!! Arkansas to hire Bret Bielema

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: yes!!! Arkansas to hire Bret Bielema

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
I've had some short conversations with Bielema at the Curve diner on Park Street.

I've seen him drunk and puking at the Dry Bean. Generally surrounded by underage girls. I don't like the guy, if you couldn't tell.

what are underaged girls doing at a bar?

Bielema has his pretty wife now.

I'm a little confused by one point: a lot of people blaming Bielema for disloyalty have zero loyalty to him, have wanted him canned. And this is a coach who was obviously an excellent motivator who had a good record.

Well, no accounting for taste. You can like or dislike who you want. Me, I dislike Barry.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm

O.J. wrote:You're a little too certain in your beliefs, Huck, for someone who admittedly doesn't follow college football.

My beliefs are not so much certain as they are conflicting with yours.

Opinions about sports do not require credentials.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Huckleby wrote:Opinions about sports do not require credentials.

You can have an opinion on pretty much anything, but if you don't know jack shit about something, no one is going to care or take you seriously. I'm not saying that is the case with you, but the credentials in having an opinion about sports is knowledge.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Huckleby wrote:
O.J. wrote:You're a little too certain in your beliefs, Huck, for someone who admittedly doesn't follow college football.

My beliefs are not so much certain as they are conflicting with yours.

Opinions about sports do not require credentials.

I liked your first reply to this remark better.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

And Alvarez is making $225k for a month of coaching the Badgers. A lot of physicians don't make $225k for a year of working hours that Alvarez won't even be approaching. Gotta love Amerika!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm

I hope the Badgers win to show once and for all that Barry is the man and that Brent sucks and they are better off without him.
If the Badgers win, that will remove the knife in the back that Brent put there.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:57 am

david cohen wrote:And Alvarez is making $225k for a month of coaching the Badgers. A lot of physicians don't make $225k for a year of working hours that Alvarez won't even be approaching. Gotta love Amerika!

People in entertainment all around the work make huge salaries if they become successful.

The football entertainment factory makes money for the university.

If people loved poetry readings like football, English professors would be making the big bucks.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 am

KidCapitol wrote:I hope the Badgers win to show once and for all that Barry is the man and that Brent sucks and they are better off without him.
If the Badgers win, that will remove the knife in the back that Brent put there.

Ya, I'm into the vengence thing, too. Bielema treated the Badgerworld like crap, and I want Alvarez to avenge the indignity. We need a happy ending to this rough massage.

Then again, many Badger fans treated Bielema like crap the last several years, so I want him to win a national championship to rub it in their noses.

I will hold the jacket for any and old combatants.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:01 pm

http://www.espnmadison.com/common/page. ... hes&id=436

The former Badger players are thrilled to see Coach back in the saddle.

It does make the Rose Bowl more interesting.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 am

david cohen wrote:And Alvarez is making $225k for a month of coaching the Badgers. A lot of physicians don't make $225k for a year of working hours that Alvarez won't even be approaching. Gotta love Amerika!

I'd like to know if he is forfeiting one months salary as Athletic Director? I would assume that 225K gets the team a full time coach for a month, right?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:46 pm

narcoleptish wrote: I would assume that 225K gets the team a full time coach for a month, right?

ya, that's about right.

It truly is corrupt that Alvarez would pay himself such a Christmas bonus. He should donate the money to charity, or at least to the "W Club". The reason that a coach is paid 225K per month is that this is the market value. The market value for Athletic Directers who want to bail-out their own athletic department is 0K per month.

I dislike Alvarez because he is an authoritarian Godfather (that is a nickname that some use.) From everything I've read and heard, Bielema was a breath of fresh air compared to the Godfather.

I like Mike McCarthy & Mike Sherman & Brett Bielema.
I dislike Barry Alvarez and Vince Lombardi.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Did you know that if you put a little extra salt on a turtle sundae it really brings out the pecan flavor? It's salty sweet vanilla chocolate caramel creamy goodness. It has nothing to do with football, but I just thought I'd share.

The Badgers will win the Rose Bowl and next year's team will be even better. Bielema will go 5-7.

It seems like Arkansas would have better things to spend their money on than football coaches.

I can solve a Rubik's Cube in a couple of minutes, but I don't understand how those Chinese kids solve them so fast.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 am

I dislike Alvarez because he is an authoritarian Godfather (that is a nickname that some use.) From everything I've read and heard, Bielema was a breath of fresh air compared to the Godfather.

Funny, that's not what a few of the players that I have talked to have said - they are all happy and relieved.

I like... Mike Sherman...
I dislike...Vince Lombardi.

And, there's your trouble.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm

barney wrote: Funny, that's not what a few of the players that I have talked to have said - they are all happy and relieved.

I'm sure when Rich Rodriguez jilted West Virginia before their bowl game, the players announced their happiness and relief.

To this very day, I am happy and relieved that Sue H. dumped me back in 1996. I was and am far too good for her. {sniff}

barney wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I like... Mike Sherman...
I dislike...Vince Lombardi.
And, there's your trouble.

Trouble? I got trouble? Right here in Mad City? That starts with T, that rhymes with B that stands for Bielema?

I don't like authoritarian-styled leaders, so Vince never made my Christmas card list, along with Mussolini and Scott Walker. I'm sure Mike Sherman & Mike McCarthy have their testy moments, but I percieve that treat their players with respect, don't play head games. Of course it's true that winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

ps. I heard on talk radio that the Board of Regents is likely to deduct Alvarez's AD salary for the month of December. That sounds like a fair-enough resolution.

It should be said that Alvarez's market value as a head coach has been $3M (or maybe more) these past 8 years, and he accepts a $1M job as A.D. So he isn't all about money.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking