MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The New Union South

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: The New Union South

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 am

snoqueen wrote:Those quonset buildings (or similar) that contained the original engineering campus "union" were put up right after WWII when all the returning GIs went to school on their GI Bill money, and the campus had no room for everybody.

Now that I think about it, they might have been Trachte buildings (from Oregon, WI), not Quonset huts.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

The original Trachte plant was on the east side of Madison around the Dickinson-Mifflin-E.Dayton blocks. Many or most of the buildings (Trachte buildings, of course) are still standing, though the one at the corner of Dickinson and E. Mifflin caved in a few years ago and was removed.

Lots of pictures, as well as the difference between Quonset huts and Trachte buildings:
http://www.madisonpreservation.org/gall ... s-company/

You'll recognize a surprising number of the buildings pictured there.

I think Mullins owns the old factory property now. It's a beautiful hillside on the edge of the Yahara River and I'd love to see it developed for residential purposes -- it's got no busy-street frontage at all. I suppose I might as well wait for hell to freeze over.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:35 pm

rabble wrote:And the food really is awful. Did I mention that? Those prices would be a little more explainable if you got something that wasn't a pile of fat with grease on it. (That applies to the new rathskeller too.)

Ginger Root is okay, but it's open three hours a day and the line stretches past the bubble gum pizza store and almost to the ice cream shoppe while the other places have like three customers. That's gotta tell you something.

There's a reason the food carts are doing so good these days.

I work in the area and have to agree. I was amazed the how Ginger Root was able to make a Thai curry so flavorless. It looked like a normal Thai curry. The bread at Harvest Grains is gross and spongy. The pizza has a thick layer of cheap cheese. At least the pizza is cheap.

The food carts aren't out; it must be too cold. I liked the one that looked like a hot dog cart but actually sold rice and beans. I miss Banzo and the Mexican cart.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Town Vibe