MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: Monovox guitarist, Paul Heenan, Killed by Madison Police

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:05 am

Here is Chris Rickert's commentary on the shooting. It reads like he is channeling Neil Heinen.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

Mrs.Walter wrote:
snoqueen wrote: .... to all those who have written from the heart.

...I thank you.

First time I've teared up reading TDPF.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Gerth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Walter and Mrs. Walter have been my friends and next door neighbor for eight years. We see him going off to work every night when we're all just getting ready for going to bed. He leaves on freezing cold holiday nights, boiling hot summer nights, drunk student football Saturday nights, and all the boring nights in between. Each night he has no idea what's his heading to, his wife has no idea what's going to happen to her husband. I think he loves his job and that's why he does it; I've certainly never heard him complain about any of it.

I vividly remember a few years ago the guy in Middleton shot and killed his two girlfriends and two small children then took off in a stolen car, no one knew where he was. I remember seeing Steve leave for work that night thinking to myself that all the police are actually looking for that guy while the rest of us are double locking our doors.

I have good friends who were good friends with Paul Heenan and I'm so very sorry for their loss. They are as shocked at the whole thing as we are. But I can't be convinced that this is anything more than a terrible tragedy. Sometimes terrible things happen to good people and I think this is the case with both Walter and Paul last week.
Gerth

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 am

I deleted this since it was in response to another deleted post. Apologies for the out of context crazy sounding posting.
Last edited by boston_jeff on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 am

Where is anyone giving anyone a "pass?"

Due respect, Jeff, but you're logging in weeks after the fact (9 days after the most recent post) and, if I'm not mistaken, from a considerable distance. You're also giving pretty vague consideration to the facts and painting the "forum community" with a broad brush. If this thread indicates anything, it's that two people on this board sharing a specific opinion is very rare.

There actually are people on the board who live in that neighborhood, know BOTH individuals involved and don't really need anyone to attempt to ham-fistedly clarify the issue. This scolding from you is hard to swallow.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:02 pm

I did look at all available facts, and seem to have come to a different conclusion than you did, Jeff. Therefore, I can only surmise that you haven't looked at the facts, because we all know that it's only possible to have ONE point of view after looking at the facts, right? And clearly I did, therefore you must not have.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 pm

I bought a house across the street from an officer and have become really good friends with him and his wife over the past two years. Part of the disconnect here is what the officers are trained to do. There is no time to asses the weight, niceness, or soberness of someone in that situation. If he charged at the officer he was probably going to get shot. Not saying we know exactly what happened that night. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle and there are certainly bad cops out there (lots of them I assume). I have a hard time believing one of them is Walter.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 pm

My post was in response to another from this morning that has since been deleted by the OP. That post was far more eloquent than mine, and since it is now gone I apologize. I was largely posting because I agreed with the sentiments of that person.

I think that this is a tough situation, but that there was no reason for 3 shots to be fired. I also think the history is relevant. I will leave it at that. The forum community is a great one and I did not meant to impugn you all. But there is some truth to the fact that some of us are a bit too close to this story. The OP made a good case for further examination. I think we can do more and I hope that there is appropriate justice.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:25 pm

boston_jeff wrote: I think we can do more and I hope that there is appropriate justice.

You think we can do more, Jeff? Specifically, what more do you think we can do? - besides wringing your collective hands on internet forums, I mean.

The next time you think a burglar has broken into your home - the home with the front door you have knowingly left unlocked - I recommend, instead of calling 911 and having armed police, trained in the use of lethal force, hurrying over to protect you from your perceived threat, that you call President Appropriate Justice Obama.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:46 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I think that this is a tough situation

Yep. It's a "tough" situation, alright. And you're neither timely nor thoughtful enough to be adopting such a judgmental perspective.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Meade wrote:The next time you think a burglar has broken into your home - the home with the front door you have knowingly left unlocked

Wanna tell us how you found out about the "knowingly" part?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Stop quoting the troll.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 pm

jjoyce wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:I think that this is a tough situation

Yep. It's a "tough" situation, alright. And you're neither timely nor thoughtful enough to be adopting such a judgmental perspective.

I apologized and removed my post. I don't know what else I can do. As I said, my post was in response to another that has now disappeared. What I posted makes little sense without that context.

My only judgment is that 3 shots is a lot (I said this awhile ago). 3 incidents is a lot. And if it just goes away, that's a shame.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 pm

I think it would be incredibly ignorant to believe that anything about this will "just go away" for anyone involved or affected. Ignorant of how things work in life and Madison life in particular.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music