MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

People I'm done with, as of today

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

People I'm done with, as of today

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Some of these are obvious, some I should have been done with a long time ago.

Trump: Used to be entertained by the guy, would watch if he showed up on TV, caught parts of his Apprentice show. No more. He gets none of my attention starting today. So stupid and reactionary as to be less relevant than the homeless dude yelling on the corner.

Vicki McKenna: Thought she at least was useful to hear when trying to figure out why good people embrace the Tea Party. Last night's tweets ("Buy guns." "And ammo. Lots.") did it. I'm not even curious anymore. There are many other places to go to learn about how conservatives think without tapping into her brand of angry, bitter and worst of all exploitative commentary.

Althouse: I checked in every couple days over the last couple weeks looking for some sharp political analysis and never found it. She wrote today she's "distancing myself from the political fray, reconnecting to my old aversion to politics." I don't believe her, but also I don't care. My news feed is full of engaging people making interesting apolitical observations about current affairs and pop culture. Althouse has nothing for me. I gave it a good shot this week, as have some of my friends. Not for me.

Sly: Like McKenna, a bit of a guilty pleasure. But the 15-20 minutes I spend listening to him each week could be much better spent eliminating my podcast backlog. There's good radio to be heard, but very little of it is actually on the radio.

Rickert: It will be hardest to quit Madison's so-called metro columnist who never actually writes about metro areas. His MO is to be a burr under the saddle, which is a great trait for a daily newspaper columnist. Unfortunately for his readers, he chooses to be a burr under Dave Cieslewicz's saddle, not the current mayor's or governor's or other powerful people. He punches down and doesn't seem to do much actual reporting.

There are others. Who are you washing your hands of today?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: People I'm done with, as of today

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:28 pm

The easy one is Mitt Romney. Don't think he'll be back. No one has ever flip flopped and pandered to the level Mitt achieved this year. He may also have set a record for most consecutive years running for President. I'm sure the private sector will be glad to have him back, the public sector never really wanted him.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Tommy. I didn't care for him when he was governor, but he wasn't Tea Party crazy back then. Since quiting the governorship to join Bush's cabinet, he turned for the worse. He wouldn't allow the government to buy prescription meds for medicare recipients (as the V.A. is allowed to do for vets), thus giving windfall profits to pharmaceutical corportions. They awarded him will millions for that, after he left (or was pushed out) of the cabinet.

And like Mitt, he went from being a moderate GOPer to being a Tea Party fanatic in order to secure his bid for the Senate.

Now he is out of politics forever. Good riddance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm interested in what both of those guys do in their post-political lives. I think Tommy should teach at the UW. If my alma mater isn't calling him this week to get him into a seminar next semester, they're not doing their jobs.

And I think Romney ought to be on a short list of guys consulted when big financial crises take place, like the Olympics. If we care what guys like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos think, we should also care what Romney thinks. He's had to deal with difficult, complex situations and has probably learned a lot.

I think Obama would like to be known as the kind of executive that earns the respect of his former opponents. The Clintons, Biden and even McCain seem to be there. Why not Romney?

And I'm talking more about commentators and opinion slingers than people who have actually stepped into the ring.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:01 pm

fisticuffs wrote:The easy one is Mitt Romney. Don't think he'll be back. No one has ever flip flopped and pandered to the level Mitt achieved this year. He may also have set a record for most consecutive years running for President. I'm sure the private sector will be glad to have him back, the public sector never really wanted him.

This. I felt a transformation last night as I watched Romney’s concession speech. Here was a man who held the possibility for a future of our country that I dreaded. Before my eyes as his speech droned on, Mitt Romney became just a normal asshole that I never have to worry about again. I don’t agree with him, I don’t trust him, I think his ideals and values are dangerous to mine. But it doesn’t matter anymore, he’s just some asshole – no more, no less. Not a minute more wasted on him.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:And I'm talking more about commentators and opinion slingers than people who have actually stepped into the ring.

I figured as much, but I could do with a lot less of all of them. Probably others say the same thing about me. Oh well.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Charles Krauthammer. Not that I had a lot of use for him before, but I'll not read nor listen to another word of his again.

Peggy Noonan. Yes, Peggy, tell us again about how Barack Obama is "small", "unserious", and "incompetent without being aware of it". Or better yet, don't.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Huckabee. I've always known him to be a bit of a religious wacko, but he really showed his true colors this election and held nothing back. I can't believe he was once a contender for the republican nomination. Granted it wasn't for long, but that still shows what a clusterfuck their party leadership is right now.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cloudy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:34 pm

jjoyce wrote:And I think Romney ought to be on a short list of guys consulted when big financial crises take place, like the Olympics. If we care what guys like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos think, we should also care what Romney thinks. He's had to deal with difficult, complex situations and has probably learned a lot.

Gracious of you, but you've got to be kidding. There's no evidence that he's a guy to respond well to any kind of crisis, and hell no, we should not care what he thinks.
cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby Phil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah, Althouse's blog use to be entertaining, but for awhile now she has been happy to just engage in hackery. As far as I am concerned Ann is just another right wing crack whore who is more than happy to go down on any right wing hillbilly that will show her even the slightest attention. She is now just a fat, short, non-famous version of Ann Coulter. From now on she gets a (facepalm) from me.
Phil
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

cloudy wrote:hell no, we should not care what he thinks.

"YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT!"

I'm also done with anyone who's right all the time.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 pm

jjoyce wrote:
And I think Romney ought to be on a short list of guys consulted when big financial crises take place, like the Olympics. If we care what guys like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos think, we should also care what Romney thinks. He's had to deal with difficult, complex situations and has probably learned a lot.

If he can outsource the Olympics into nonexistence, I'm with you. Otherwise, Romney should go play his greed games far, far away from any chance of input in public policy.
Last edited by minicat on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm also done with anyone who's right all the time.

In both senses of the word?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:Trump: Used to be entertained by the guy, would watch if he showed up on TV, caught parts of his Apprentice show. No more. He gets none of my attention starting today. So stupid and reactionary as to be less relevant than the homeless dude yelling on the corner.

Brian Williams, perhaps the funniest man to ever grace a (legit) news desk, absolutely nailed it last night.

Absolutely worth the click and video.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Regarding Tommy teaching at UW, I'd like to know how much he'd be willing to donate the the U for that privilege.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government