MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Musicians who flummox

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Musicians who flummox

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 am

What's this I hear about "The Boss" coming to town?

Let me say first that I have miles of respect for Bruce Springsteen. I appreciate what he did with "Darkness", "Nebraska", and even "Tunnel of Love". His latest stuff is also very interesting and shows an admirable willingness to experiment, unlike more or less everyone else in his age group/genre. Moreover, he's a highly professional and exuberant live entertainer, the subject of effusive accolades from some of my favorite musicians, and apparently a really nice guy to boot.

The problem is that I don't actually like much of his music. I loved "Born to Run" as a 10-year-old, but I now think that's about the level of sophistication that entire album (and swaths of his career) shows. Those ridiculous progressions, those sophomoric lyrics, those overwrought emotional cliches -- it's the opposite of subtle.

But I fully recognize this is just a personal reaction to the guy. I can't help feeling this way and believe me, I've tried to get over it.

And surely there's hope: I consider "Atlantic City" one of the finest songs of the his career and maybe the best song to come out of New Jersey, ever. It's especially poignant this week.

What's your take on The Boss?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:34 am

christopher_robin wrote:What's your take on The Boss?

Essentially the same as yours. I think I prefer his poetry albums to his all music albums.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am

Igor wrote:I read an interview years ago where one of his kids was complaining because they would have friends over, and he would walk through the room either naked or in his underwear. Seems like he either cultivated a vaguely jerk/attention seeking persona that spilled over nto private life, or maybe he was just an actual jerk/attention seeker.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Igor wrote:I read an interview years ago where one of his kids was complaining because they would have friends over, and he would walk through the room either naked or in his underwear. Seems like he either cultivated a vaguely jerk/attention seeking persona that spilled over nto private life, or maybe he was just an actual jerk/attention seeker.

Hey, Henry! Couldn't find the Phi Zappa Krappa version?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am

I thought I just did so.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:31 am

East coast Johnny Cougar.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:33 am

The thinking man's Billy Joel.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I thought I just did so.

D'oh! Damn good thing it's Friday.

The PZK poster I had in the '60s was a side view. Apparently I'm reduced to only reading images accurately these days.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:06 pm

scratch wrote:The PZK poster I had in the '60s was a side view.

I remember that one very well, but I couldn't find it in a google image search. Back in 1973, when I first met the woman who would become my wife, she and her housemates posted it on the inside of their bathroom door.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Frank Zappa's first TV appearance in 1963, playing a bicycle on the Steve Allen Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

I remember that one very well, but I couldn't find it in a google image search. Back in 1973, when I first met the woman who would become my wife, she and her housemates posted it on the inside of their bathroom door.

I used to have that on a light switch plate in my bathroom. I honestly have no idea what happened to that thing. My memory's not as good as it used to be. Must be all the uh... cigarettes and coffee...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

That brings back a somewhat bittersweet memory. When I first met the future Mrs Scratch in 1971 she had a Ted Nugent poster on the wall of her dorm room. It showed the TedBoy reclining with his long, full locks framing his face kind of Farrah Fawcett style.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 pm

scratch wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

That brings back a somewhat bittersweet memory. When I first met the future Mrs Scratch in 1971 she had a Ted Nugent poster on the wall of her dorm room. It showed the TedBoy reclining with his long, full locks framing his face kind of Farrah Fawcett style.

EVERYBODY DO ZEEE WANGO ZEEE TANGO!!! ONE TWO THEE FOUR....
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

Regarding Frank Zappa
By Gail Zappa

Hi there. This is gonna be about exercising your right to vote. And it is going to be about Frank Zappa -- maybe some stuff you didn't know about either subject but might, given the fast approaching Day of Destiny for our next four years, be of interest to you.

http://tinyurl.com/bqzumoa
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am

Adam Powell wrote:Regarding Frank Zappa
By Gail Zappa
Hi there. This is gonna be about exercising your right to vote. And it is going to be about Frank Zappa -- maybe some stuff you didn't know about either subject but might, given the fast approaching Day of Destiny for our next four years, be of interest to you.
http://tinyurl.com/bqzumoa

Gail Zappa is absolutely my favorite rock widow.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music