MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Opt-out policy for smart water meters

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Opt-out policy for smart water meters

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 pm

fennel wrote:Clearly.

Then spell it out. HOW is monthly billing going to change how much I pay.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 pm

You really can't figure it out? It means one has to pay six times as frequently, with the associated transaction costs – monetary and otherwise. If my mortgage payment were $30 per month, I'd love to have that billed on a 6-month cycle.

I'm perfectly fine with folks opting for a monthly payment cycle if that works for them. I'm perfectly fine with automated meter-reading, however frequently. I'm not fine with the the City being disingenuous about the reasons for the change. It engenders suspicion of government in ordinary folk – something that's typically the province of wingnuts.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm

By the way, does anyone have a sense of whether an external installation is much more conducive to valid meter readings? I wonder about something like a fence or tree line causing problems. I'm not concerned about misreadings but reading failures due to obstructions that might occur in the normal course of typical changes to the property. (That would exclude Faraday cages, for example.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 pm

fennel wrote: It means one has to pay six times as frequently, with the associated transaction costs – monetary and otherwise.

What transaction costs are you talking about? From your bank? If that's the case then you need another bank because I don't get charged per transaction. And please tell, what is the "otherwise"

fennel wrote:If my mortgage payment were $30 per month, I'd love to have that billed on a 6-month cycle.

Why? I'm just curious. I get paid monthly and it's not a lot so it helps to also have my bills paid monthly so that I can manage them better. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to understand how paying bills every six months is a good thing.

fennel wrote:I'm not fine with the the City being disingenuous about the reasons for the change.

Your getting a bit tinfoil hat here. Do you have evidence that there are nefarious reasons? If you do, I'm willing to concede my argument.

fennel wrote:By the way, does anyone have a sense of whether an external installation is much more conducive to valid meter readings?

What's a valid meter reading? My meter is in my house and in the 3 years I've lived there no one came inside. They had to drive by to do the reading. Trees could affect that as well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:34 pm

They already said they want people to set up automatic billing from their bank account -- at most banks there is no charge at all for this. It's cheaper for the bank and cheaper for the creditor as well.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:56 am

Those without credit cards or bank accounts (they are out there, folks) will have to mail in a money order once a month. Those associated costs will add up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Those without credit cards or bank accounts (they are out there, folks) will have to mail in a money order once a month. Those associated costs will add up.

Get a Visa gift card. You can use it like any other credit card and keep adding money to your account. I assume many of those people without bank accounts do the same. Also, can you pay these bills in cash? If any of those people aren't doing this, they're also paying money order fees for rent, electric, phone, insurance, etc...
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Smart meters help PEPCO gets system back up after Sandy.
Details here.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Once power is restored, the utility can also ping meters to verify service, rather than send out a crew or make a phone call, according to a Pepco representative.

In turn giving everyone tumors. I wonder if this is going to increase people's monthly bill. What's the motive behind all of this. I WANT ANSWERS not just results.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Those without credit cards or bank accounts (they are out there, folks) will have to mail in a money order once a month. Those associated costs will add up.

I believe there are a number of people without credit cards. But how many people do not have a bank or credit union account?

Even when I was a poor welfare mom, I opened a bank account to cash my check. Of course that was in the day before the infestation of the check cashing places. It didn't take me long to switch from the bank (which issued the check) to a credit union, because the bank wanted to charge me money to open a savings account for my child.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Will banks allow people with extremely bad credit to open an account?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Will banks allow people with extremely bad credit to open an account?

Savings account at least, maybe not a checking account. You can also get secured credit cards, which are really just pre-paid debit cards that you have to keep a positive balance on.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:34 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Will banks allow people with extremely bad credit to open an account?

Savings account at least, maybe not a checking account. You can also get secured credit cards, which are really just pre-paid debit cards that you have to keep a positive balance on.

I don't think monthly direct withdrawals will work for those in that situation.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe