MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Most heartbreaking election

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Which presidential election result did you take the hardest?

72 Nixon McGovern
No votes
76 Carter Ford
No votes
80 Reagan Carter
4%
84 Reagan Mondale
8%
88 Bush Dukakis
No votes
92 Clinton Bush
8%
96 Clinton Dole
No votes
Y2K Bush Gore
46%
04 Bush Kerry
17%
08 Obama McCain
17%

Total votes : 24

Re: Most heartbreaking election

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I picked the 2000 Bush-Gore election because I doubt we would have attacked and invaded Iraq under President Gore. The unnecessary loss of life (probably in the hundreds of thousands, and the carnage is still continuing) was and is a tragedy.
:!: :!: :!: Not to mention a host of other "problems" Gore would've created... I can't find the original video anywhere, so here's he transcript: President Al Gore, Saturday Night Live

AL GORE: "Good evening my fellow Americans. In 2000 when you overwhelmingly made the decision to elect me as your 43rd President, I knew the road ahead would be difficult. We have accomplished so much, yet challenges lie ahead.

In the last six years, we have been able to stop global warming. No one could have predicted the negative results of this. Glaciers that once were melting are now on the attack. As you know, these renegade glaciers have already captured parts of upper Michigan and northern Maine. But I assure you, we will not let the glaciers win.

Right now in the second week of May 2006, we are facing perhaps the worst gas crisis in history. We have way too much gasoline! Gas is down to nineteen cents a gallon and the oil companies are hurting. I know that I am partly to blame, by insisting that cars run on trash.

I am therefore proposing a Federal bail-out to our oil companies because hey, if it were the other way around, you know the oil companies would help us.

On a positive note, we worked hard to save welfare, fix Social Security, and of course, provide the universal health care we all enjoy today. But all this came at a high cost. As I speak, the gigantic National Budget Surplus is down to a perilously low 11 trillion dollars. And don't get any ideas. That money is staying in the very successful lock box. We're not touching it. Of course, we could give economic aid to China or lend money to the Saudis again, but right now we are already so loved by everyone in the world that American tourists can't even go over to Europe anymore without getting hugged.

There are some of you would like to spend our money on some made-up war. To you I say, "what part of lockbox don't you understand?" What if there's a hurricane or a tornado? Unlikely I know, because of the anti-hurricane and tornado machine I was instrumental in helping to develop…but what if? What if the scientists are right and one of those giant glaciers hits Boston? That's why we have the lockbox.

As for immigration, solving that came at a heavy cost, and I personally regret the loss of California. However, the new Mexifornian economy is strong and El Presidente Schwarzenegger is doing a great job.

There have been some setbacks. Unfortunately, the confirmation process for Supreme Court Justice Michael Moore was bitter and divisive. However, I could not be more proud of how the House and Senate pulled together to confirm the nomination of Chief Justice George Clooney.

Baseball, our national pastime, still lies under the shadow of steroid accusations. But I have faith in Baseball Commissioner George W. Bush when he says, "we will find the steroid users if we have to tap every phone in America."

In 2001, when I came into office, our national security was the most important issue. The threat of terrorism was real. Who knew that six years later, Afghanistan would be the most popular spring break destination, or that Six Flags Tehran is the fastest growing amusement park in the Mideast, and the scariest thing we Americas have to fear is … Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!"
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm

I chose Carter/Reagan, because of the energy issue. In my alternate universe Carter would have continued with smart conservation measures, and supported more solar and wind technologies.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:28 pm

A Gore administration would have been "interesting". Consider the split from the wife, need for "massages", expanding waistline and unhinged behavior.

Couldda been fun.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:A Gore administration would have been "interesting"....Couldda been fun.

Instead we got Bush.

President Bush will leave office as one of the most unpopular departing presidents in history, according to a new CBS News/New York Times poll showing Mr. Bush's final approval rating at 22 percent.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500160_162-4728399.html

This handy dandy graph might help as well. Looks kinda like a ski slope.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Huckleby wrote:My spiteful prosecuters omitted the "merely suicidal" part from their quotes, since it suggested I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Oh for Christ ...

First of all, just admit you said something stupid and suck it up. You don't have to whine about it afterward. You're acting like my five-year-old when he's caught doing something he shouldn't.

Secondly, more than offensive, I find your post reflects poor judgement. In this day and age, it's not wise to talk about taking people out on a web forum (or Facebook, or whatever the cyber-confessional flavor of the week is). There are too many examples of people following through. It's kind of liking making a bomb joke when you're standing in the security line at the airport. Just not the wisest move one could make and something that could cause you a lot of grief, worst case.

Believe me, I'm not on track to win any awards for tastefulness around here, but given that you've already voiced a certain level of despondency regarding this election, your comment left a lot of wiggle room for folks to question whether and to what extent you were joking. I honestly figured you were. But it's not the same as saying "I could kill for a cigarette" and you damn well know it. It's not even the same as saying, for example, that somebody should get all the conservative members of congress in the same room and drop the ceiling on them (which, for the record, is right along the lines of something I'd say). It just isn't. If you honestly don't see the difference, I have to question your emotional intelligence quotient.

Now let's move it along, shall we?

you write an essay, repeating everything already said in expanded form, then suggest "move it along"?

I am not the one who made a flame war out of this misunderstanding. That Kurt creep began fray by speculating on my insincere political motivations, using opportunity to grind old axes. You then jump in with talk of mental illness, quote out of context, raise the heat index of the crisis to code red - "monumental." This is not a civil discussion I am responding to.

No, it's not equivalent to a bomb joke. And I did try to acknowledge the error of my ways to the offendees. When do you & Kurt apologize for your crappy behaviour?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 am

Huckleby wrote:This is not a civil discussion I am responding to.

Here's a hint, Huck: When a conversation starts with a tasteless and poorly executed "joke," it's not really a civil conversation to start with. So deal, dude.

When do you & Kurt apologize for your crappy behaviour?

Ah, there it is again. The retort of the petulant child. I've acknowledged my missteps around here plenty. Hell, just yesterday I apologized for bad-mouthing your favorite pizza which I mistook for something else. But whatever, you're in the right and Kurt and I are creeps for calling you out.

I wonder though, have you ever said something that offended someone in a way you didn't intend or for a reason you didn't understand? Might you apologize in such a situation despite your confusion at such a reaction? Because that's what an emotionally secure grown-up would do. Just sayin' ...
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 am

Mean Scenester wrote: Here's a hint, Huck: When a conversation starts with a tasteless and poorly executed "joke," it's not really a civil conversation to start with.

There was nothing uncivil about my use of black humor. If you look at it in context, it was dark hyperbole to make a point. I understand that some people wondered how to take it, and I regret causing some momentary uneasiness.

The conversation began with johnfajardohenry complaining about my comment in a civil manner. He recognized the obvious which ALL understood, that the comment was likely tongue-in-cheek. If I had been responding to him, I would have simply apologized and made a better joke.

Sensing vulnerability, Kurt took opportunity to take cheap shot. He brought up some ancient grudge he evidently is harboring (I don't know what a "sock puppet" means) then weirdly accused me of being latently politically incorrect. This is civil conversation?

Mean Scenester wrote:
Ah, there it is again. The retort of the petulant child. I've acknowledged my missteps around here plenty.

Well man-up and acknowledge your misstep again. Jumping into a small, uncomfortable miscommunication and speaking of "monumentally disturbing" and "serious mental illness" is crappy behavior. The most likely explanation was a harmless, tongue-in-cheek hyperbolic statement and you damn well knew it.

Mean Scenester wrote: Hell, just yesterday I apologized for bad-mouthing your favorite pizza which I mistook for something else.

Yes, I saw your mea culpa. A little easier to apologize for a pizza misundertanding than to admit you unnecessarily inflamed a situation.

Mean Scenester wrote:But whatever, you're in the right and Kurt and I are creeps for calling you out.

It's a question of degree. Somebody compared my misstep to joking about bombs in a bus line. No, it was the equivalent to a fart in the bus line. One can criticize a fart without invoking the Nuremburg trials.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 am

Huckleby wrote:Sensing vulnerability, Kurt took opportunity to take cheap shot. He brought up some ancient grudge he evidently is harboring (I don't know what a "sock puppet" means) then weirdly accused me of being latently politically incorrect.

Er, what?

I don't know of any "ancient grudge" that I'm harboring.

I don't think I've brought up any grudges, ancient or otherwise, in this thread.

The "sock puppet" thing is a reference to something Ducatista pointed out. If "Huckleby" is not actually a sock-puppet for bdog, the rest of that paragraph is irrelevant.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am

Huckleby wrote:
Mean Scenester wrote:
Ah, there it is again. The retort of the petulant child. I've acknowledged my missteps around here plenty.
Well man-up and acknowledge your misstep again. Jumping into a small, uncomfortable miscommunication and speaking of "monumentally disturbing" and "serious mental illness" is crappy behavior. The most likely explanation was a harmless, tongue-in-cheek hyperbolic statement and you damn well knew it.

Um, no thanks. I'll stand by my opinion that joking about murder/suicide on a web forum is, at a minimum, an incredibly stupid lapse in judgement. And, quite frankly, the way you carry on Cassandra-like about politics around here, I didn't "damn well know" shit. You wouldn't be the first crybaby to carry out a threat made online.

So go fuck yourself or take yet another opportunity to bristle at how terribly wronged you've been and make yourself look even more incredibly puerile in the process, I don't care. I've said my piece and if I get the urge to carry on further with a stubborn child I'll visit my wife's kindergarten classroom.

Yes, "my crappy behavior." That's rich. Christ, you bristle and project like a politician incapable of taking responsibility for his own actions.
Last edited by Mean Scenester on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am

Huckleby wrote:I don't know what a "sock puppet" means

If true, this proves what some of us have said about you for a long time. You quite often simply don't listen to people.

Seriously, how is it possible for you to have spent over six years here and racked up 3000+ posts without having encountered this term before? It's been used hudreds of times since you've been here.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:13 am

Joking about almost anything is OK in an online forum, as long as it is not in a form that anybody will be hurt. Nobody actually felt threatened by my remark. You are offended only in that your over-the-top hissy fit has been called-out.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 am

Bland wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I don't know what a "sock puppet" means

If true, this proves what some of us have said about you for a long time. You quite often simply don't listen to people.

Seriously, how is it possible for you to have spent over six years here and racked up 3000+ posts without having encountered this term before? It's been used hudreds of times since you've been here.

You want to start a fight because I don't know what "sock puppet" means?

I listen to people - way to pile-on with personal insults, brave man.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am

Huckleby wrote:You want to start a fight because I don't know what "sock puppet" means?

I listen to people - way to jump-in with personal insults.

You actually have been here long enough to have seen that term used before, dozens of times, in context.

If you really don't know what it means, you just plain haven't been paying attention. That's not namecalling, that's a fack jack.

But what the hell and who cares.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 am

Huckleby wrote:You want to start a fight because I don't know what "sock puppet" means?
If you want to know who is doing the bulk of the fighting on this thread I suggest you look at your own posts.
Huckleby wrote: way to pile-on with personal insults, brave man.
You're hilarious. Apparently you don't even listen to yourself.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

rabble wrote:If you really don't know what it means, you just plain haven't been paying attention. That's not namecalling, that's a fack jack.

I don't care what "sock puppet" means, it sounds like some stupid internet insult that doesn't interest me.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government