MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the VP debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Entertaining and flowery insults aside, doesn't it bother you that this child making fart noises with his armpits was able to mop the floor with Paul Ryan in the minds of most Americans?

What does that say about Paul Ryan?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm

pjbogart wrote:Entertaining and flowery insults aside, doesn't it bother you that this child making fart noises with his armpits was able to mop the floor with Paul Ryan in the minds of most Americans?

What does that say about Paul Ryan?

Do you mean to say "most Americans responding to the CNN poll?".

The Walker non-recall should have taught you not to pay attention to stuff like that.

I missed most of the debate. Did Biden really make fart noises?

Or were they actual farts? The guy is old, you never know.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3208
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

pjbogart wrote:Entertaining and flowery insults aside, doesn't it bother you that this child making fart noises with his armpits was able to mop the floor with Paul Ryan in the minds of most Americans?

What does that say about Paul Ryan?


Debatable - CNN gives it to Ryan, CBS gives it to Biden.

If your question can be taken to indicate that you also think the child making fart noises mopped the floor with Ryan, I'd call that more troubling.

The spectacle (and spectacle he was) of a sitting vice president behaving like a juvenile ass on national television may somehow be thrilling for lefties. But you fail to observe that his weird performance as a function of the debate served only to prevent an actual conversation from happening, presumably because it's a conversation he's not mentally qualified to be a part of.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 pm

bdog wrote:I missed most of the debate. Did Biden really make fart noises?

Or were they actual farts? The guy is old, you never know.


Sorry to quote you down to just that one question there but in case you're really curious and said you missed most of the debate, no Biden didn't literally make fart noises. But if you think about Biden, fart noises and debates, I think we can all admit that the image is not hard to conjure.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby grimfees » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Bludgeon wrote:His mouth is a sock puppet for his own asshole.


Pot, meet kettle.

Bludgeon wrote:I read hard news, subjective opinions I disgree with I toss out, any raw, discernably objective data just doesn't factor in.


Fixed that for you.
grimfees
Senior Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Debatable - CNN gives it to Ryan, CBS gives it to Biden.

If your question can be taken to indicate that you also think the child making fart noises mopped the floor with Ryan, I'd call that more troubling.

The spectacle (and spectacle he was) of a sitting vice president behaving like a juvenile ass on national television may somehow be thrilling for lefties. But you fail to observe that his weird performance as a function of the debate served only to prevent an actual conversation from happening, presumably because it's a conversation he's not mentally qualified to be a part of.


Fair enough. A large percentage of Americans felt that he won. And don't pretend that a bunch of high school dropouts and "welfare queens" were sitting around watching a gripping debate between Joe Biden and Paul Ryan. The viewers were people much like ourselves. And they were fairly split on who won.

Paul Ryan went to the debate to give a stump speech, red meat for the base, fast and loose on the facts. That's how stump speeches are... from both parties. Debates are supposed to be more substantive and Joe Biden refused to let Paul Ryan play fast and loose with the facts. You apparently found Biden's mannerisms quite offensive but I suspect you found his unwillingness to let Ryan tell us all about his "revenue neutral" tax cuts offensive as well. But they aren't revenue neutral, or at least Romney/Ryan haven't given us any evidence to show that they're revenue neutral. Joe Biden said so. He all but called Paul Ryan a liar straight to his face. Rather than whimper about Joe Biden's aggressive nature, why don't you tell us what tax loopholes Romney intends to close to make up for tax cuts that the CBO scored at $4.8 trillion over ten years? It isn't revenue neutral until you show us the offset.

Facts matter, Bludgeon. And there are millions of intelligent Americans who winced and cursed Joe Biden's name last night. There were also millions of intelligent Americans who said, "Go get him, Joe!"

That court jester is Joe Biden, Bludgeon. Americans elected him to be the Vice President of the United States in 2008. I, for one, will vote for him again this year. You won't, and I'm fine with that.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 pm

I love Joe Biden. He's a salt of the earth kind of guy, but let's be honest. Obama never should have picked him for VP. He should have gone with Hillary Clinton or maybe Dennis Kucinich. Joe Biden did a good job of not making Democrats feel like a bunch of wussies after Obama's polite nose dive, but Republicans today aren't even mad that Biden invigorated the Democratic base, because they love the idea that all Democrats need to feel like they won a debate is an old guy interrupting and laughing a lot. Could you imagine Hillary going up against Paul Ryan? She would have legitimately cleaned his clock. She's a very sharp cookie just like her husband.

I think Paul Ryan accomplished pretty much everything that he and his party wanted him to accomplish. Telling the truth has nothing to do with being a good salesman, and anybody who doesn't know Paul Ryan probably found him pretty believable. Biden was supposed to be aggressive, but he did wind up overdoing it more that Romney did last week, and it made Biden look more obnoxious than strong. Honestly, I don't think Biden could have done much better, though, so he met my expectations for the most part and made me feel better than I did last week.

Obama needs to have a stellar performance next Tuesday to actually stop Romney's momentum, though. Things are still going downhill for the president in the polls, and the best I can say is that Biden just helped keep the momentum from accelerating for Romney. I think Obama can still pull out a win, but it's going to take a some great debates and no more pathetic stunts like the Sesame Street campaign commercials. It was good for a zing in his speech the next day in Madison, but he overused it after that, and it wound up looking kinda sad and desperate.

Since foreign policy will be one of the topics for the next debate, the four Americans killed in Libya including an ambassador is going to be some good ammo for Romney, which is something to worry about, because I don't think he'll make the mistake of not using it the way Obama should have used the 47% remark last week. Hopefully Obama will be prepared with a better response than Biden's.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Hopefully Obama will be prepared with a better response than Biden's.

You mean like leveling with the American people and taking responsibility for what happened in Benghazi? Fat chance.

The question now is who will throw who under the bus - Barack, Hillary or Hillary, Barack?

What a giant screw up. Obama's single seeming success - war and diplomacy - and once again it turns out we elected an empty suit in 2008. A myth. A delusion.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Neade » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Serious times and serious problems call for serious solutions and serious men with serious experience to seriously address them.

Image
Neade
Senior Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Meade wrote:What a giant screw up. Obama's single seeming success - war and diplomacy - and once again it turns out we elected an empty suit in 2008. A myth. A delusion.

Meade, you're such a hack. Who are you trying to convince? Can you just stop being a prick for one day and at least attempt to portray that you have a life? Eight Intrade updates in one day? That shit is so lame! It's truly pathetic that your entire livelihood hinges on Obama losing the election. Is that all you have to feel good about in life?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Madison, WI (Allied-Dunn's Marsh Neighborhood)

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:17 pm

Slick Willy wrote:I love Joe Biden. He's a salt of the earth kind of guy, but let's be honest. Obama never should have picked him for VP. He should have gone with Hillary Clinton or maybe Dennis Kucinich. Joe Biden did a good job of not making Democrats feel like a bunch of wussies after Obama's polite nose dive, but Republicans today [definitely] aren't even mad [even a little bit]that Biden invigorated the Democratic base, because they love the idea that all Democrats need to feel like they won a debate is an old guy interrupting and laughing a lot.


No offense, but I completely agree. Firstly, picking his weakest primary challenger was a huge middle finger to his strongest primary challenger, and to all her supporters. If Clinton were on any part of the ticket (and preferably on the top), we would not even be looking at a close election. Instead, because he's a dick, the president's in a freefall. Imagine where he'd be without Bill Clinton's amazing speech at the DNC? You guys would be livid.

Secondly, Joe made Barack look bad last night. I think you're right about Biden for a number of reasons. They should have got him off the ticket when they had the chance. What were they thinking! On display was a 69 year old man who exhibited a number of emotional ticks and peculiarities of a sort that would cause any honest viewer to seriously question his mental fitness, emotional readiness to take on the role of president.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Bludgeon wrote:On display was a 69 year old man who exhibited a number of emotional ticks and peculiarities of a sort that would cause any honest viewer to seriously question his mental fitness, emotional readiness to take on the role of president.


Yeah, like being a Democrat? It's a good thing Slick Willy isn't President, because with his frenzied pushing of every panic button in sight we'd wind up starting WWIII.

You got nothing, Bludge. You're not mad that Biden looked foolish, that would have made you happy. You're mad that he made Paul Ryan look foolish. You're mad that the general public didn't come away with the same impression as you. You're mad that despite Barack Obama being the worst President in history, a secret Kenyan Muslim terrorist Manchurian candidate, he still has a virtual lock on the electoral college.

You sound like a child throwing a temper tantrum. WHY WON'T EVERYONE AGREE WITH ME???

It's because you're wrong, Bludge. Again.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Meade » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:41 am

pjbogart wrote:WHY WON'T EVERYONE AGREE WITH ME???

It's because you're wrong, Bludge. Again.

Everything Bludgeon has said in this thread has been right. Again.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Meade » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:46 am

Slick Willy wrote:That sh*t is so lame! It's truly pathetic that your entire livelihood hinges on Obama losing the election. Is that all you have to feel good about in life?

Not at all, Slick Willy. One of the many things I have to feel good about in life is when Pretend Liberals like you expose themselves for what they truly are: reactionary bigots.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Huckleby » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 am

Slick Willy wrote:I love Joe Biden. He's a salt of the earth kind of guy, but let's be honest. Obama never should have picked him for VP. He should have gone with Hillary Clinton or maybe Dennis Kucinich. ..... Could you imagine Hillary going up against Paul Ryan? She would have legitimately cleaned his clock. She's a very sharp cookie just like her husband.

Biden was an extremely effective senator, of course that was back in the days when the Congress actually functioned. He is probably too quirky to be a President.
I agree with everything you said, except for nomination of Dennis Kucinich.

Slick Willy wrote:I think Paul Ryan accomplished pretty much everything that he and his party wanted him to accomplish. Telling the truth has nothing to do with being a good salesman, and anybody who doesn't know Paul Ryan probably found him pretty believable.

well said.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar