MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sunset tenney park
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Do you have any plans for a debate?


John "Sly" Sylvester has offered free air time on WTDY (106.7 FM) and a neutral moderator to host a debate but Rep. Hulsey has not replied to any requests for a debate.
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Yep, the hemp thing is what did it for me as well. While I agree that our drug laws are screwed up and that hemp should be legal to grow and use in manufacturing, it's hardly a solution to what ails Wisconsin's jobs picture.

I'd be willing to consider alternatives to Rep. Hulsey, but I'm not convinced Mr. Dedering is it.


Hemp may not be the ailment but our lack of manufacturing jobs certainly is. We need to manufacture everything that we can and we need to start today, that is how we fix our economy (and stop handing over our money to companies that employ cheap foreign labor).
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:56 pm

TimScheff wrote:One of the concerns of switching from a Dem to a Green is a risk of a Green rep not being enthusiastically welcomed by the Dem caucus or being put last in the pecking order.
Facing this institutional challenge, do you think you can be more effective than Rep. Hulsey has been in his first term in navigating the internal "party" process to effectively represent Dane County's perspective and interests?
Are there specific things that he's done in his first term in this regard that you would do differently?


I am better suited to navigate the internal legislative process because I am not operating as the enemy of either party. Unlike many Democrats, I will not be bringing political baggage into the legislature.

Rep. Hulsey was widely criticized in the spring of 2011 for his willingness to buck the pecking order by speaking too freely to the media. His disregard for procedure resulted in off-message coverage that is not regarded as a high point in Democratic punditry (for example: Rep. Hulsey claimed to have saved Sen. Grothman from an “angry mob”). As a Green I will have the unusual opportunity to act independently and speak out on behalf of the motivations of my constituents without the fear of shining negative light on my colleagues in the legislature.
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Dedering wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:Yep, the hemp thing is what did it for me as well. While I agree that our drug laws are screwed up and that hemp should be legal to grow and use in manufacturing, it's hardly a solution to what ails Wisconsin's jobs picture.

I'd be willing to consider alternatives to Rep. Hulsey, but I'm not convinced Mr. Dedering is it.


Hemp may not be the ailment but our lack of manufacturing jobs certainly is. We need to manufacture everything that we can and we need to start today, that is how we fix our economy (and stop handing over our money to companies that employ cheap foreign labor).


If not hemp, then what are you proposing to increase manufacturing jobs?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3915
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:
Dedering wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:Yep, the hemp thing is what did it for me as well. While I agree that our drug laws are screwed up and that hemp should be legal to grow and use in manufacturing, it's hardly a solution to what ails Wisconsin's jobs picture.

I'd be willing to consider alternatives to Rep. Hulsey, but I'm not convinced Mr. Dedering is it.


Hemp may not be the ailment but our lack of manufacturing jobs certainly is. We need to manufacture everything that we can and we need to start today, that is how we fix our economy (and stop handing over our money to companies that employ cheap foreign labor).


If not hemp, then what are you proposing to increase manufacturing jobs?


We should increase access to rail lines to rural areas of the state and give communities the means to move their products to major distribution hubs and introduce their products into markets.
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Dedering wrote:We should increase access to rail lines to rural areas of the state and give communities the means to move their products to major distribution hubs and introduce their products into markets.


What products? Agricultural products? How are family farms being disadvantaged in selling their products? Surely not solely transportation issues. If the State has little control over federal farm subsidies to corporate farms, what could Wisconsin do to provide a leg up for Wisconsin's family owned farms? Perhaps property tax relief to farms under a certain acreage?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6020
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Would you have saved Grothman from the angry mob?

Have you ever saved anyone from an angry mob?

Have you violently swerved your car, bicycle or segway to avoid running over a squirrel or other rodent?

Were you an Eagle scout?

Do you speak Spanish?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3184
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Dedering wrote:We should increase access to rail lines to rural areas of the state and give communities the means to move their products to major distribution hubs and introduce their products into markets.


What products? Agricultural products? How are family farms being disadvantaged in selling their products? Surely not solely transportation issues. If the State has little control over federal farm subsidies to corporate farms, what could Wisconsin do to provide a leg up for Wisconsin's family owned farms? Perhaps property tax relief to farms under a certain acreage?


Farms would certainly benefit from an increase in access to rail lines. Additionally, small farms would benefit from cooperatives that assist in the packaging and distribution of agricultural products. But my original point wasn't necessarily directed towards agricultural products. My plan is to increase rail access to all manufacturers. For example, there are folks in this state who build custom motorcycles and others who make beautiful handmade furniture, unfortunately freight costs cut so deeply into their profit margins that the growth of their business is stunted and they are unable to expand into larger markets. The purpose of this initiative would be purely to offer this essential infrastructure to the real job-creators, our small businesses.
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Small businesses don't create a lot of jobs. NEW businesses create jobs, regardless of size.

Rail isn't cheap, and the cost per job is sure to be high. Just buying the right-of-way is going to get real pricey real quick.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 am

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

bdog wrote:Would you have saved Grothman from the angry mob?

Have you ever saved anyone from an angry mob?

Have you violently swerved your car, bicycle or segway to avoid running over a squirrel or other rodent?

Were you an Eagle scout?

Do you speak Spanish?


Would you have saved Grothman from the angry mob?

Referring to the people involved in the incident as an “angry mob” is a mischaracterization. The capitol was filled with tens of thousands of people who were peacefully protesting. Even Sen. Grothman has acknowledged that he was not in danger.

Have you ever saved anyone from an angry mob?

A few years back, two men jumped out from behind an overgrown bush on Gorham Street and tried to rob my friends and I at gun point. Having grown up around guns, I noticed that the gunman had both elbows bent in an awkward attempt to use the site to aim at the face of one of my friend. Being a fairly large semi-automatic pistol I knew that with his elbows bent that he would take the recoil directly to his nose. I assumed that his gun must be a fake or that he had never used it before so I decided to attack. Luckily for me, the gun only shot pellets, because I took one in the chest directly in line with my heart. I still have a small scar. They did not get anything from me or my friends but someone else walking along was thrown to the ground by the second person and her purse was stolen.

Have you violently swerved your car, bicycle or segway to avoid running over a squirrel or other rodent?

No.

Were you an Eagle scout?

I was a Webelo. In my town, 4H was where the real action was.

Do you speak Spanish?

I speak some Spanish. I don’t consider myself fluent.
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:Small businesses don't create a lot of jobs. NEW businesses create jobs, regardless of size.

Rail isn't cheap, and the cost per job is sure to be high. Just buying the right-of-way is going to get real pricey real quick.



Small businesses are a crucial component of our economy. We need to facilitate the means for entrepreneurs to turn an idea into a business. That is how a small operation in a garage turns into a large operation in a warehouse.

Your right that rail isn't cheap but you'll see that this plan leaves us tangible results. We'll see both permanent rail jobs as well as temporary construction jobs and an infrastructure to facilitate manufacturing growth for decades.

Compare this to the methods that the WEDC has been using to stimulate growth. The WEDC is giving handouts to companies to create jobs. Handouts do not influence markets but infrastructure will.
Dedering
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Dedering wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:Small businesses don't create a lot of jobs. NEW businesses create jobs, regardless of size.

Rail isn't cheap, and the cost per job is sure to be high. Just buying the right-of-way is going to get real pricey real quick.



Small businesses are a crucial component of our economy. We need to facilitate the means for entrepreneurs to turn an idea into a business. That is how a small operation in a garage turns into a large operation in a warehouse.

Your right that rail isn't cheap but you'll see that this plan leaves us tangible results. We'll see both permanent rail jobs as well as temporary construction jobs and an infrastructure to facilitate manufacturing growth for decades.

Compare this to the methods that the WEDC has been using to stimulate growth. The WEDC is giving handouts to companies to create jobs. Handouts do not influence markets but infrastructure will.


How is government building rail lines to serve private businesses not a handout?

Trust me, I'm no fan of how WEDC does business, but let's call a spade a spade.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 am

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Dedering wrote:I look forward to representing you in the state legislature and will serve as a beacon of hope for honest and good representation everywhere.

I assume this is a typo and what you're trying to say is that you want to serve your constituents bacon, for which I, as someone who loves bacon, am very appreciative.

However, although I am not in the 1%, I can't honestly say I deserve free bacon provided to me by the state of Wisconsin. Could you somehow give my share of the free bacon to bdog?

If bdog, who might be a vegan for all I know, doesn't want it, please give it to Stu Levitan because Stu hates me and if I ever run for political office, I want Stu to vote for me. Thanks.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm

So that's why you offer me treyf?

And no, I don't hate you. You flatter yourself to think I care enough about you to muster such an intense emotion. It's more of a calm and quiet contempt.

BTW - you were pretty roundly rebuked for already trashing this thread once. Yet you come back, just to make a stupid, condescending joke. Why?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Long time since anyone's uttered "Webelos".

The kids here probably think it has something to do with the web.

For honestly answering my inane questions, you have my vote.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3184
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


FacebookcommentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar