MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Picasso's Italian Restaurant

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Picasso's Italian Restaurant

Postby Lily » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Two friends and I were planning to go to MU Terrace after work but after checking the temperature we decided it was too windy and chilly to be outside on the water. So we went to Picasso's in Fitchburg for dinner. Both of them had been there before and liked it. We got there and I was immediately skeptical because it's located in an ugly strip mall. Walking inside however changed my mind. It's spacious, nicely decorated with original art work, and the staff couldn't be nicer or more welcoming. (Thank you Ryan!!) In the summer this place must be great cuz their outdoor area is twice as big with lots of little lights and stuff.

We started out with a Bloody Mary (our driver ordering a Virgin) and they were scrumptious with pickle, olives, and Absolute vodka. I ordered their lasagna. Oh boy. I have enough leftovers for two more meals and my tummy is bursting at the seams. I ate my garlic bread and salad but could not finish the lasagna. Next time my friends go we'll be sharing pizza cuz it's enough for 3 or 4 people. Saw a pizza at a table nearby and it looked wonderful. They offer thin, double, and Chicago style crust and prices are reasonable. Lasagna is one of their signature dishes however, I haven't had any in YEARS, and the last time I made lasagna it transformed into a volcanic mass of goo. Their menu is online and current. Oh yeah, for a limited time they are offering a dish named Pound of Perch. Fresh lake perch, beer batter, french fries, and their homemade tartar sauce. A guy at a table near us had that and I gained two pounds just watching him.

Anyway, if you like Italian food as I do check this place out. Very good food, great and friendly service, and good prices. Tip them well.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Picasso's Italian Restaurant

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:09 am

Check out the quarterly Advantage coupon magazine, if you get it. The usually have a variety of Picasso's coupons.

Not only great food, but great beers on tap.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bandit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 am

This place gets a thumb's up from me as well.
Good pizza and, boy, do I love their blackened chicken caeser salad! Instead of spicing a chicken breast, cooking it, and then slicing into strips (as most places do), these guys cut up the chicken into bite-sized chunks, cover them in spices, THEN cook it resulting in FAR more spicy deliciousness :twisted:
Bandit

Postby Jademan7 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:14 am

I've had their Canneloni and thought it was incredible. We've also ordered pizzas delivered. Always great food. Wish I would think of the place more often when I'm hungry. We stopped in late on a Friday night and they had music on the patio. I never knew the patio was there. It's huge and looked great with the little lights all over the place. They even have a fire pit to chase away the chill. Check it out.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:03 pm

A Cajun Comfort pizza and a bottle of Kiss the Lips or three is my go-to at Picasso's. The Gorgonzola Ribeye is also a great choice, albeit one you'll certainly know you made for a few hours afterwards.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:32 am

I love Picassos, but only ever get their pizza. I keep thinking I'll get the lasagna and wimp out because the pizza is always so good.

The service is sometimes a little odd. Definitely hit or miss in terms of professionalism. I've never felt ignored by staff, but I have had some awkward servers.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Advantage coupons for Picasso's Henry V. Just got my coupons yesterday in the mail.

If you are a State employee and have your State ID they offer a "collective bargaining" discount--15% off your bill. Can't be combined with coupon offers but a darn nice thing to do.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Lily wrote:If you are a State employee and have your State ID they offer a "collective bargaining" discount--15% off your bill. Can't be combined with coupon offers but a darn nice thing to do.

Also a violation of Department of Corrections work rules if accepted by an employee. Check your departmental regs; YMMV.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:39 am

+ 1 to all above - great food. Two things I'd add - the Picasso Salad (blue cheese & bacon) is incredible. The BC dressing is worth the price of admission on its own, and also the Friday fish fry - beer battered cod (Spotted Cow no less..). Easily the best I've had since the days when everyone served locally sourced perch (remember that?).
bcs89

Postby Lily » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Lily wrote:If you are a State employee and have your State ID they offer a "collective bargaining" discount--15% off your bill. Can't be combined with coupon offers but a darn nice thing to do.

Also a violation of Department of Corrections work rules if accepted by an employee. Check your departmental regs; YMMV.

I don't work for DOC but do work as Classified Staff at UW-Madison. Does that apply to my status?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Lily wrote:I don't work for DOC but do work as Classified Staff at UW-Madison. Does that apply to my status?

Turns out it's a state statute.

19.45 (2) No state public official may use his or her public position or office to obtain financial gain or anything of substantial value for the private benefit of himself or herself or his or her immediate family, or for an organization with which he or she is associated. This subsection does not prohibit a state public official from using the title or prestige of his or her office to obtain contributions permitted and reported as required by ch. 11.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Are all state employees considered "public officials"?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are all state employees considered "public officials"?

There's no definition in the statute that differentiates the two, though they are referred to separately earlier in the section. Regardless, it's the language that dictates the prohibition for DOC employees.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Anyone have any ideas about why Picasso's never seemed to catch on in McFarland? That parking lot was almost always nearly empty.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm

jman111 wrote:Anyone have any ideas about why Picasso's never seemed to catch on in McFarland? That parking lot was almost always nearly empty.

I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe because it was in McFarland.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews