MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sunset tenney park
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Tommy vs Tammy

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Is Tammy gaining on Tommy?

With seven weeks left before the November election, two polls released Monday suggest it could be. A word of warning, though: Both polls have ties to the Democratic congresswoman's campaign.
The Democratic Party of Wisconsin was quick to jump on the poll results Monday, issuing a statement that said Republican political strategist Karl Rove was “rescuing” Thompson by making a $1 million ad buy through his nonprofit organization, Crossroads GPS. The ad will begin airing in Wisconsin Tuesday.

“Karl Rove’s $1 million ad buy proves the point made in two polls released today,” said party Chair Mike Tate in a statement. “Tommy Thompson is in trouble.”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 am

Tommy just says it: 'Do away with Medicare, Medicaid'

Elderly voters who receive Medicare are a big part of Tommy's base. But maybe not anymore.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:12 pm

My, he's come a long way from Badger Care, hasn't he?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 am

The Tea Party takeover of the Republican Party is taking its toll in a presidential year. I hope the Republicans come back to 21st century earth in next four years. The country needs some compromise.

I can hardly believe that Tammy is competitive in this election. This could be a shocker, for me at least.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Tammy has rustled up $7 million+ change. $45,000 from the UW for chrissakes(according to open source.org). If true, whats up with that? Poor old Tommy has only raised a little over 2 million and most of it is gone. It's possible we could get the "best" politician that money can buy. But I still think outstate will elect Tommy.

I can't find any of the outrage over "out of state" or "special interest" money that was expressed during our recent recall waste of time. It seems that this issue is a one way street on this board. As in, we are merely supporting Tammy while the Koch Bros stole the election. Gotta say, I do get a chuckle out of Tammy's ads showing everyone smoking, in her depiction of Tommy's dealings. Nice touch.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:30 pm

That's great, doppel. Are you officially onboard for revamping campaign finance laws, or were you going to wait to see if Tommy squeaks one out first?

The crocodile tears over campaign coffers is unbecoming of you, Mr. Republican. The only reason Tammy raised more money than Tommy is because Republicans figured this one was a slam-dunk (and, to be honest, so did I). Maybe Tammy's effective ad campaign with all the cigars proves that money buys votes. Are you happy with the best democracy that money can buy?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 pm

I watched the Tommy - Tammy debte until I fell asleep.

Wow, was that ever terrible. Tommy was very natural & conversational. Tammy came off as a nervous, tense high schooler speaking to the assembly.

I hope to God my impression is not shared by others, and I'm even leaving open possibility that I dreamed it.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby athabasca » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:58 am

I didn't see the debate as a game-changer either way.

Tammy was too hesitant, missed a lot of opportunities, used terms that might not be understood outside the "in-crowd" -- Norquist pledge, Buffett Rule.

Tommy got crankier as the evening went on. With Tammy being so low-key, his insistence that she was attacking him so viciously the whole time came across as almost delusional, and certainly disrespectful. I also found it very interesting how he pretended he'd never been to Washington -- and that the issue that wound him up more than any other was Asian carp. Weird.
athabasca

Postby Huckleby » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 am

They both came off badly, from my point of view. Tommy seemed past his sell-by date, even if he did pull-off the Wilford Brimley, "call me Tommy" routine. I can easily imagine he turned cranky as the evening wore on, it was past his bedtime.

I agree that the debate probably won't change many minds, but it was a missed opportunity for Tammy, IMO. Whatever these events are, they certainly are not debates. Last night seemed like dueling infomercials. I see an event like this as the charm & poise portion of a beauty contest. Tammy is unknown to most of WI, and this was her chance to flash some teeth, show a little leg, and frankly she came off a bit robotic. Nerves, I guess.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:38 am

Karl Rove's Crossroads "non-partisan" group is running a TV ad claiming that Tammy is destroying Medicare. Yet it is Tommy who says Medicare as we know it must end. Typical Rove, accusing an opponent of his own candidate's weakest political stance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 am

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/172358321.html

So Tammy was ahead of Tommy 50% to 41% in last Marquette poll.
It will be interesting to see what direction that moves after debate. They are announcing a new result today at 12:15
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Huckleby wrote: They are announcing a new result today at 12:15

Race is tightening: Marquette has Tammy up, 48-44.

http://www.wisn.com/politics/wisconsin- ... index.html
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am

So politifacts doesn't actually say Tammy isn't lying, just that so is Tommy, only apparently Tommy lies more, and tells the truth more. Only two things I can really pull out of that link is that Politifacts reviews what Tommy says, more than Tammy (17 to 8 ) and that Tammy apparently has a higher ratio of lies to truth (as far as politifacts is concerned) of 4/2 (ignoring half true) versus Tommy's 9/8.
Last edited by Francis Di Domizio on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 am

Thompson's statements have been rated false six times. He's also received three ratings of "pants on fire," which is determined to be an egregious lie.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government