MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Ironman Sunday

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Ironman Sunday

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Also, I saw two blind athletes in the marathon portion running together. Amazing they can do a triathlon.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Some ways it's fun some ways it's sickening nonsense. But it makes for good photos:

http://www.meetup.com/Photography-Meetu ... /10629522/

iwiw99 wrote:I think it was a few years ago when 4 people separately drowned during their practice swimming. I think the city put the new boat ramp in because of that. I am probably wrong but that was a tough year for hauling bodies out.

Four people didn't drown or they would have canceled the whole thing. I think a few years ago one or two people drowned practicing in separate incidents.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:26 pm

What could be more American than taking something healthy and pushing it to an unhealthy extreme?
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm with Igor, Americans just do stuff to death. Everything's gotta be EXTREME, 24/7, ALL IN, SUPERSIZED, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

I think the sheer number and variety of people who now compete in and finish the Ironman has shone it to be, while obviously an impressive display of stamina, definitely not the realm of the elite athlete that it seemed to be when it was a few dozen people competing in Hawaii once a year.

I'm still impressed by it, despite the pompous air that others have pointed out, but I've never been in awe. I couldn't do it (weak swimmer) but I have a couple of athletic talents that most of those folks probably don't.

So there.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I'm still impressed by it, despite the pompous air that others have pointed out, but I've never been in awe. I couldn't do it (weak swimmer) but I have a couple of athletic talents that most of those folks probably don't.

Yeah, agreed that it is an impressive feat.

There is definitely a certain elitist tendency with some sport fans and participants. In my mind, anything that is a :

- Primarily physical
- competition
- involving large muscle groups

is a sport. Different sports require different skills, but I wouldn't put endurance athletes above or below any other type. I have seen marathon runners that I swear were so bad at basketball that I thought they were going to hurt themselves. I also saw football linemen that really should have been using bumpers at the bowling alley.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 am

So which foron was this???

Suspected drunken driver arrested after driving on Ironman course

A suspected drunken driver was arrested in Madison Sunday night after he drove around traffic barricades and onto a road that had been closed for the Ironman triathlon competition and almost struck race participants, several pedestrians and a police officer who was on foot and controlling traffic, University of Wisconsin Police said.

The driver eventually stopped his car on the marathon portion of the Ironman course at N. Park and Langdon streets about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, police said. Cones that had marked the course were lodged under his vehicle.

The Madison man was arrested on suspicion of operating while intoxicated-fourth offense, operating a vehicle after revocation and failure to obey a traffic officer/signal.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking