MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

"Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

"Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 pm

I picked up on this story today and found it rattling.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/1 ... labor-Bain

At first I found the headline unfair, but then I started thinking...

It should be obvious that I find these bahaviours disturbing. What do you think?
Last edited by Mad Howler on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What kind of character ... Matters?

Postby pjbogart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:25 pm

That thread title sucks ass, and not even good ass. We're talking dimply, cottage cheese looking ass.

How about "Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"? You can still change it to reflect the actual story.

I heard this story on Thom Hartmann while I was driving home. It's a deal killer. If this story gets legs, Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio are all lost for the Romney camp. That means that he has no path to the Presidency.

But the media likes a horse race. It's good for advertising revenue. I suspect they'll bury this one. If they don't, it's over.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"?

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm

PJ, upon your recommendation it has been done. Thanks for your editorial support. We have stepped into a shit cake, no?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Yes, but the quotations are unnecessary. And my question mark was related to my question, not the thread title. That's why I stuck it outside of the quotation marks.

Romney Boasts About Bain's Slave Labor Profits
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Forgive me for asking the obvious question but, where the hell is this from? There's no source at the link. Heck, you can't even see anything because, for no apparent reason, the videomaker decided to superimpose enormous captioning over the entire thing (the audio is perfectly clear, so I have no idea why they did this except perhaps to obscure the picture.) For all I know, that's a Romney impersonator, so I fail to see how this is a deal killer. I'd love for it to be real, but why should I assume it is?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Rather than argue about thread titles, I'd like to take a look at the accusations, if you can call them that (given that they are Romney's own words). Mitt Romney might defend himself by pointing out that this was a conversation with investors, people interested only in profits. The crass, indifferent statements regarding the slave labor were about profits and Mitt Romney himself seems genuinely confused about the barbed wire fences and guard towers. They are, in fact, about keeping job seekers out, not slaves in.

But the critical point here is that Mitt Romney shows no reservation about destroying American jobs for his own financial benefit. The notion that Mitt Romney would brag about moving 20,000 jobs to China, and seeming genuinely impressed by the poor living and working conditions of his cheap labor, is insulting to all Americans, union households and non-union households alike. The audio essentially plays like an admission that personal gain trumps patriotic responsibility.

This audio makes it virtually impossible for Mitt Romney to reach out to blue collar workers, particularly blue collar workers in States that have been hit by manufacturing losses.

I'm starting to see shades of 2008, when McCain was forced to spend money shoring up States like North Carolina and Virginia that should be solidly Republican. If he can't hold the base, he can't win the election. He's already behind in Ohio... revelations that he gleefully bragged about moving 20,000 manufacturing jobs to China are essentially the final nail in the coffin. The Presidential race is over. The fight moves to the House and Senate.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Holy crap! Sorry to point it out. Wow! Some talker is pointing out a story that looks dubious at this moment. Although it is strange not to hear push back on many non-substantiated claims from other talkers over the last few years. It funny world.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:09 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I'd love for it to be real, but why should I assume it is?

I didn't even click on the OP links, as I said that I heard the audio on Thom Hartmann's show on my way home from work.

I can't imagine that there's an authenticity issue. Perhaps this is why Obama seemed so interested in a Romney primary victory and so many Republicans claimed, as Rick Santorum pointed out, that Romney was the worst candidate to put against Obama. Perhaps the shit was bound to hit the fan, and Romney was the fan and Obama was holding the shit, poised to pitch it.

I'd be very surprised to hear that this isn't authentic. It certainly sounds like Romney and there are no apparent breaks in the audio. If it's real, the lunch pail contingent of the Republican Party is gone. They won't necessarily vote for Obama, but they aren't voting for Romney either. He's a cocksucker, and they have the audio to prove it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 am

One good thing is it's still relatively early in the campaign, so what other closet-skeletons are waiting in the wings? This can only be one of a whole series, since we do know the outlines of Romney's story and it's hard to imagine this was an isolated incident. They are probably starting with the small stuff and holding some even bigger ones until the last couple weeks.

The other good thing is more people get to see and hear about these horrific labor conditions and, one hopes, merchants will be pressed to source their merchandise from more savory manufacturing environments. It's already happening on campuses where students don't want to buy slave-labor logo sweatshirts and athletic shoes. And fair-trade foods are becoming more mainstream, even though it's still a niche thing like organic is.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 am

PJ,
I perceive your frustrations as genuine, it is definitely a funny world and getting "funnier". The thing is I don't think many of the folks bothering to be here are laughing. So where do we start from?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby amused2death » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:42 am

Good to see you got the fox news/msnbc style spin machine going again pj. Your ability to see things(or hear) that aren't there is really amazing and somewhat cornbreadish.
amused2death

Postby wack wack » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 am

amused2death wrote:Good to see you got the fox news/msnbc style spin machine going again pj. Your ability to see things(or hear) that aren't there is really amazing and somewhat cornbreadish.

Thank you, a2d. Every time you show up, I know pj has hit a home run.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 am

Rachel Maddow says somebody created an account with her name and put it up there.

This article seems to summarize it pretty well.

We present this video without making any judgment and offer it as a curiosity. It is clearly Romney speaking. He is clearly speaking about a factory he and a Bain partner were considering for purchase. In addition to his taxes, Mitt needs to be asked about this video.
1. Did you purchase the factory?
2. Did you do anything to improve the working conditions?
3. What was the point of your story? Were you doing a bit on "how good we have it" or were you bragging about buying a company where you got work done at slave-labor wages?

As to why it isn't gaining more mainstream traction, my guess is that Fox would rather it just went away and everybody who isn't Fox are gutless wimps who want the blogosphere to vet it before they touch it. They aren't going to admit it exists until it's old news.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 am

I'm thinking the reason it doesn't seem to be gaining any traction is responsible media are trying as hard as they can, as fast as they can, to check it out first. We've all been burned by tricks, lies, manipulated media, fake leaks, and other games. More and more, people are getting ultra-cautious.

This is a good thing, a self-correction mechanism that applies to both ends of the political spectrum. It appeared to be absent for a period while we sorted out new rules of engagement in an environment of 24/7 submersion in a torrent of news tidbits ranging from useful to plain fake. A new set of controls is emerging and the notion of patience takes its place where earlier there was a tendency to pounce on anything in sight and blow it sky high.

So wait.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 am

More than anything, the audio seems to be an indictment of the Chicoms and the wretched system they have created.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government