MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby swimmingupstream » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:17 pm

At first I thought Brett Hulsey had screwed up again even though it was never really clear what he did that merited a disorderly conduct citation. But now I am wondering if Sally Miley decided to screw the Hul-ster.

Here is the part that really jumped out at me
"Miley, who witnessed parts of the incident near her home with other members of her family, shared her version of events with police and also told officers that city Parks Director Kevin Briski told her of past complaints involving Hulsey, including allegations he stalked a lifeguard at Olin Park, according to the police report."

"Briski didn't return phone calls, but he told WKOW-TV that there are no past written complaints against Hulsey and he was unaware of any concern about Hulsey's interaction with a lifeguard."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... z25to25cyq

Why did Miley claim to the police to have extra knowledge of Hulsey and why did Briski deny knowing of any problems involving Hulsey? It seems to me Miley misused her position and gave false information to the police in order to "get" Hulsey.

That misuse of public position is pretty scary no matter who it is directed at.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Re: Soglin's aide Sally Miley slimes Rep. Brett Hulsey?

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:38 pm

In order to make sense of your theory, there has to be a motive.

What would be the motive for someone in the Soglin admin to slime Brett Hulsey?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I;d be kind of surprised if the cops issued a citation regarding the current matter based on info from some other incident.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:In order to make sense of your theory, there has to be a motive.

What would be the motive for someone in the Soglin admin to slime Brett Hulsey?

According to Hulsey, it's a grudge over Hulsey's backing of Cieslewicz in the mayors race.

Seems petty, but then again, politics is.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:13 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:It seems to me Miley misused her position and gave false information to the police in order to "get" Hulsey.

Oh, "it seems" to you, huh? Based on what evidence?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:20 pm

snoqueen wrote:In order to make sense of your theory, there has to be a motive.

Sno, I am positing no theory. Conspiracy or otherwise.

There are two facts here.

First Fact-Sally Miley told the police "that city Parks Director Kevin Briski told her of past complaints involving Hulsey, including allegations he stalked a lifeguard at Olin Park, according to the police report."

Second Fact-Briski says "that there are no past written complaints against Hulsey and he (is) unaware of any concern about Hulsey's interaction with a lifeguard."

Someone is lying here.

Either Sally Miley lied to the police or Kevin Briski is lying.

It appears that Soglin is letting the city Parks Director twist in the wind in order to protect his long time political crony.

Soglin needs to place Sally Miley on administrative leave and have the appropriate authorities get to the bottom of this.

It is a real problem if Soglin's longest serving aide used her clot and lied to the police in order to goad them into taking action against Hulsey.

Is Sally Miley lying to the police or is Kevin Briski lying to the media?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Second Fact-Briski says "that there are no past written complaints against Hulsey and he (is) unaware of any concern about Hulsey's interaction with a lifeguard."

Someone is lying here.

Or Briski is being very careful. Look at the quote: no past written complaints; he is unaware of any concern about Hulsey's interaction with a lifeguard. The quote attributed to Miley says Briski told her of complaints, not that they were written down, and she claims he told her that among those complaints were allegations that Hulsey stalked a lifeguard, which is not the same thing as interacting with a lifeguard.

I'm not saying give all credence to what Miley has said, but Briski's response doesn't really address her charges, even though it looks like it does. And, frankly, I wouldn't expect him to speak differently. It's not his job to validate one side or the other, especially if, as he said, there is no written record.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 pm

According to Hulsey, it's a grudge over Hulsey's backing of Cieslewicz in the mayors race.

The interpretation of the evidence could go a completely different direction, you know.

It might be the Hulsey is setting up a political-payback smokescreen to distract from the fact he has, indeed, been behaving badly at this beach. He gets to say everyone's trying to get even with him for his endorsement of Cieslewicz and it's all a bunch of lies. His motive would be creating cover for himself.

I don't know a thing about the case, but it's begging for a second look before we buy Hulsey's story. The parks director and the police are basically taking a these-are-the-facts tack, which is always wise in a political conflict where you don't want to be a tool of one side or the other.

I don't think anybody's "twisting in the wind," either. That implies the person went out on a limb and then failed to get backing, and I don't see that here. Everybody's just doing their job and being careful.

I'm now starting to question the original poster's motivations, since motivation has become a factor in the discussion.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Why did it take 19 hours before Katherine, the mother of the 9 year-old boy, called the police? Why did she or one of the other 4 adults not call the Madison police immediately? Sally, the grandmother, said that "everyone was in shock and horrified and they felt victimized and felt that Hulsey had been creepy and inappropriate and had bad intentions with what he was doing". Why then did they not all call the police immediately after "Hulsey had jumped on a bike and took off 'like a bat out of hell'"?

Was the adult supervision of the children who were playing in the water on July 4 adequate? What were the adults doing back on the deck of the beach house? Five adults - why was there not at least one adult with the children - who were in the water - at all times?

Why was there not a Madison Parks staff lifeguard on duty, protecting the children? Who was the "woman reading a book up in the lifeguard chair" and what did she witness? Have the Madison police attempted to locate the woman to get a report from her?

Katherine, the mother, stated that she was only 20-30 feet away from where the "horseplay" between Hulsey and her son was taking place. Why did she not simply tell Hulsey to stop?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:I'm now starting to question the original poster's motivations, since motivation has become a factor in the discussion.

And I question your motivation for questioning the original poster's motivations for questioning the motivations of everyone's motivations and their questions of questionable motivations, snoqueen.

Consider this possibility: Hulsey is a weirdo who is widely known to act in awkward ill-advised ways. But Hulsey thought he was doing the right thing when he intervened in what appeared to him to be an older boy picking on younger girls, splashing them in the lake where children are known to sometimes drown.

Perhaps Hulsey intervened because NO OTHER ADULT SEEMED TO BE RESPONSIBLY SUPERVISING THE CHILDREN BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T. Nineteen (19) hours later, after all the non-Hulsey parties had coordinated their stories, Katherine calls the police. Possible motivation for calling the police: Hulsey may have photographic evidence of the children being neglected by their own parents. Therefore, allege that Hulsey had acted inappropriately and in "creepy, disgusting ways" in order to cover up the parents' and grandparents' own negligence of their children.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:

The interpretation of the evidence could go a completely different direction, you know.

It might be the Hulsey is setting up a political-payback smokescreen to distract from the fact he has, indeed, been behaving badly at this beach. He gets to say everyone's trying to get even with him for his endorsement of Cieslewicz and it's all a bunch of lies. His motive would be creating cover for himself.

I don't know a thing about the case, but it's begging for a second look before we buy Hulsey's story. The parks director and the police are basically taking a these-are-the-facts tack, which is always wise in a political conflict where you don't want to be a tool of one side or the other.

I thought it was odd to see Soglin say in the WSJ story that he would be addressing things in the next week or two. Seems like the sort of thing you just shrug off. What do I know though.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:32 am

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to...

Curious story, what's even more curious is that Larry (it) shows interest. As I cannot imagine that it cares much about BH, the simplest answer is that the story is a perceived crack that it needs to keep hammering away at. Tisk tisk...very boring.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:43 am

Mad Howler wrote:As I cannot imagine that it cares much about BH, the simplest answer is that the story is a perceived crack that it needs to keep hammering away at. Tisk tisk...very boring.

A perceived crack? Crack in what?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Therefore, allege that Hulsey had acted inappropriately and in "creepy, disgusting ways" in order to cover up the parents' and grandparents' own negligence of their children.

Possible secondary bonus motivation: Smear Hulsey's public reputation, ruin his political career, and advance an alternative candidate to replace Hulsey.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:34 pm

...splashing them in the lake where children are known to sometimes drown.

Don't children sometimes drown in any lake near a population center?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government