MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Prosser is charged

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Prosser is charged

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Prior to the choking incident, Bradley had serious concerns about "abusive temper tantrums."

Two months before state Supreme Court Justice David Prosser put his hands on Justice Ann Walsh Bradley's neck during a heated argument, Bradley and Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson devised a security plan with Capitol Police that included locking themselves in their offices when working at night and weekends, Bradley revealed in a legal memo Wednesday.

In addition to locking their doors, Bradley said she and Abrahamson were given then-Capitol Police Chief Charles Tubbs' cellphone number in case of emergency and were told there would be more frequent patrols of their Capitol offices.

Bradley also wrote that 16 months before the now-infamous June 13, 2011, altercation, she and Justice Patrick Crooks approached the director of state courts "asking that something be done about Justice Prosser," whom she described as having a history of "abusive temper tantrums."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I urge you to click the link to Talking Points Memo toward the bottom of this article:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/n ... 963f4.html

TPM prints a copy of Bradley's complaint, which is extremely disturbing and at the same time unsurprisingly representative of what people in situations of workplace abuse face every day. Roggensack and Gableman are typical apologists for their colleague's misbehavior, and Roggensack's comments now that she's running for re-election are what seems to have prompted Bradley to finally go public with her whole story.

Anybody who's still in denial about workplace harassment and threats is free to mount a big blustering aggressive defense, but the many who have been on the receiving end of these abuses know better. You don't have to be a woman to be the target, and as this case illustrates you don't have to be a low-level worker either.

Unfortunately nobody's in charge of the Supreme Court but the voters. I hope they see through Roggensack's attempts to smooth everything over and pretend nothing is wrong, because something is VERY wrong up there.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:I urge you to click the link to Talking Points Memo toward the bottom of this article:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/n ... 963f4.html

TPM prints a copy of Bradley's complaint, which is extremely disturbing and at the same time unsurprisingly representative of what people in situations of workplace abuse face every day. Roggensack and Gableman are typical apologists for their colleague's misbehavior, and Roggensack's comments now that she's running for re-election are what seems to have prompted Bradley to finally go public with her whole story.

Anybody who's still in denial about workplace harassment and threats is free to mount a big blustering aggressive defense, but the many who have been on the receiving end of these abuses know better. You don't have to be a woman to be the target, and as this case illustrates you don't have to be a low-level worker either.

Unfortunately nobody's in charge of the Supreme Court but the voters. I hope they see through Roggensack's attempts to smooth everything over and pretend nothing is wrong, because something is VERY wrong up there.

I'm just going to link to the Talking Points Memo article here because, well, screw the Madison.com paywall.

TPM Article

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:57 pm

What. The. Fuck. From the report:

Justice Bradley wrote:As later reported in the Dane County detectives' investigation, Justice Ziegler recognized at that meeting that "We shouldn't be enabling, Justice Prosser needs some counseling." The Chief Justice, Justice Patrick Crooks, and I also recognized it. Justices Roggensack and Gableman were in denial, minimizing the conduct and blaming it on others.

Although Justice Prosser subsequently admitted to the detectives that his hands were "definitely" on my neck, rather than my shoulders, and that "he remembers the warmth on the side of [my] neck in his hands[.]," some of my colleagues continue to minimize Justice Prosser's conduct. Incredibly, they deny what he has already admitted.

Justice Gableman told the detectives that Justice Prosser's hands were "never . . . around her neck at any point." He stated that Justice Prosser had been speaking "meek[ly]" and that "his hands [were] together as if he was praying." Likewise, Justice Roggensack told the detectives "his hands and fingers were pointing straight up and were never around her neck."

I get Prosser backtracking to save his ass. But what's Roggensack and Gableman's excuse?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government