MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Edgewater employees

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Edgewater employees

Postby tandemguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Just found out that the management plans to FIRE all employees in Nov. when they break ground on the project. Can these guys make any more bad press! They seem like naturals at it.
tandemguy

Re: Edgewater employees

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:40 pm

First off, the place is going to be closed for over a year and I'm sure that's pretty common practice with something of this scope and ownership change.

And secondly, as far as the pier and the lounge go, that's not a bad idea.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Every hearing I attended, the same facts came out: Hotel hiring tends to be nearly all entry-level unskilled jobs cleaning rooms, setting up and taking down banquets, and the like.

This thing will never be much of a job-creator, and to pretend otherwise is fatuous.

Construction workers move from job to job within their trades, and their time on the Edgewater should not count as new job "creations." The contractors whose workers do the skilled part of putting up the building try to keep their employees busy as much of the year as possible. One project is just a piece of the puzzle and doesn't mean a new job is somehow created for each person who works on it.

It doesn't matter any more because the Frautschis are paying for it, not TIF money, but I still don't want to hear nonsense about how the Edgewater created all these fabulous new jobs. Hotel work is changing linens and cleaning toilets.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:Hotel work is changing linens and cleaning toilets.
Ain't nothing wrong with that. And someone manages the people who clean the linens and toilets. And don't decent hotels have account managers and sales directors now?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

The chain hotels have 'em at headquarters, I suppose. Or else somebody in India is doing the whole thing managing some web pages.

I've got no problem with entry-level work -- there will always be people at entry level -- but is this something to get all puffed-up about?

I'd feel more optimistic if the same money were being invested in five (hell, ten) biomedical startups and five new IT companies in some industrial park. The odds would be better.

I know, I've got a bad attitude about this project. I should probably shut up, since it's a done deal with private financing now. And I do hope they fix up the old tower in a fun, creative, and slightly edgy way. It could happen.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 pm

The worst job I ever had was cleaning hotels rooms. People do gross things and guess who has to clean it up. At least it was an incentive to leave Madison to seek my fortune.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:27 am

Madsci wrote:People do gross things and guess who has to clean it up. .

Absolutely. But the flip side of that is the bitter low paid cleaner who doesn't care. The one-towel-cleans-all attitude is out there. I'll never use a hotel ice bucket..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby devildog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

This explains the service we got on the pier last weekend. Or rather, the lack thereof.
devildog

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Madsci wrote:The worst job I ever had was cleaning hotels rooms. People do gross things and guess who has to clean it up. At least it was an incentive to leave Madison to seek my fortune.

Really? Only in Madison do people do gross things in hotel rooms? I never knew.

My wife actually makes the bed, but we're never in Madison when we stay at a hotel. So with that logic, the gross people must come from somewhere else.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:57 pm

devildog wrote:This explains the service we got on the pier last weekend. Or rather, the lack thereof.

Oh no, that's the regular service on the pier for a couple years now. Were the tables and chairs crawling with spiders? That's normal too.

My friend and I recently sat at a table in the uncrowded lounge, staring at our empty glasses for fifteen minutes before finally just going to the bar. It's my favorite room in the city, I just wish it was BYOB.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 pm

gargantua wrote:
Madsci wrote:The worst job I ever had was cleaning hotels rooms. People do gross things and guess who has to clean it up. At least it was an incentive to leave Madison to seek my fortune.

Really? Only in Madison do people do gross things in hotel rooms? I never knew.

My wife actually makes the bed, but we're never in Madison when we stay at a hotel. So with that logic, the gross people must come from somewhere else.
narcoleptish wrote:
Absolutely. But the flip side of that is the bitter low paid cleaner who doesn't care. The one-towel-cleans-all attitude is out there. I'll never use a hotel ice bucket..

Actually, the grossest story I have heard about hotel housekeepers comes from my brother, Henry Vilas. Let's just say it involves ones toothbrush. And no, it was not in Madison.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

Madsci wrote:Actually, the grossest story I have heard about hotel housekeepers comes from my brother, Henry Vilas. Let's just say it involves ones toothbrush. And no, it was not in Madison.

Ooh! I know this one!

It was about hotel housekeepers IN SPACE, right?

Ok, maybe I just wanted an excuse to share this awesome article.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... on/262035/

It also has one of the single most hilariously crazed comments I've ever read, from a Mr. "xcxv".

Big deal it takes me way less than 8 hours to brush my teeth and I don't gotta go to outer space to do it, no thanks to OSBAMA BIN HUSSEIN
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:20 am

Madsci wrote:Actually, the grossest story I have heard about hotel housekeepers comes from my brother, Henry Vilas. Let's just say it involves ones toothbrush. And no, it was not in Madison.
My guess is, it's some variation on this old urban legend.

Thanks for sharing, Petro.
Immediately made me think of this, of course.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe