MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Moped restrictions

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Moped restrictions

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Are you the new cb or pb?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are you the new cb or pb?

My God you are conceited. If someone does not bow down to you they must be a sock puppet? No shit? Your opinion of yourself is really that high? Must be really fucking lonely up there Henry , but I bet the view is something to see! Right?
bcs89

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:46 pm

pb
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:I agree. When I was part of campus life, a big consideration in picking classes was scheduling things so you could physically get from one to the next.

And when I was an engineering undergrad, that just wasn't possible every semester. About once every other semester, despite everything I did, required classes got me. I had a class in Engineering Hall and my next one was in Humanities or nearby.

It's USUALLY possible to do it on foot, if you really put a spring in your step. Enough of a spring so your calves hurt. That's how I found out that 5 below zero was my limit for riding a bike no matter how well I was dressed.

Maybe things have changed a bit since the turn of the century. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:58 pm

rabble wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I agree. When I was part of campus life, a big consideration in picking classes was scheduling things so you could physically get from one to the next.

And when I was an engineering undergrad, that just wasn't possible every semester. About once every other semester, despite everything I did, required classes got me. I had a class in Engineering Hall and my next one was in Humanities or nearby.

During my second to last semester I had a lab lecture in Enzyme Institute followed immediately by an Art History lecture in the Elvehjem. That was a mad dash across campus that was difficult even on my bike. As the weather warmed up that spring I just got sweatier every week.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

OK, I take it back. All you can do is try, but some semesters, there's no way at all to make a rational, workable schedule and get the requirements completed. I see what you mean.

I do think they're offering fewer and fewer sections of certain required classes and that makes it harder for the individual student to piece together something that works semester after semester.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 pm

I moved here about 6 years ago, and I was really surprised there were so many mopeds around and that it seemed like such a free-for-all. No helmets, park anywhere, etc. I'd never seen that anywhere in the U.S. The noise reminded me of France, which was definitley prompted a sense of cognitive dissonance.

I suppose it's good UW is trying to reign it in a bit, though I can see the appeal.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 am

fennel wrote:I'd never seen that anywhere in the U.S. The noise reminded me of France, which was definitley prompted a sense of cognitive dissonance.

Of course as you later learned, we really are 27 square miles of France surrounded by Germany. That much makes sense, in an orderly kinda way. A clear taxonomy is sooo appealing -- it's the cognitive dissonance that goes in and out until you dial down into what the frequency is kenneth?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe