MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Tommy vs Tammy

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby barney » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Tammy's problem will be Madison. It's already being pushed up north (around Wausau), she's a *gasp* "Madison liberal". We're all the antichrist throughout the rest of the state, doncha know?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Cheddarbomb

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Got this email from Russ Feingold, via moveon.org:
One of my favorite memories from my 2010 Senate campaign was our "Cheddarbomb." Thousands of grassroots supporters all donated to my campaign on the same day to show that we're sick of the corporate money flooding Washington.

This year, we have an amazing progressive running for Senate in Wisconsin, and she's not afraid to challenge the influence of corporate money.

Today my friend Tammy Baldwin is holding Cheddarbomb 2.0, and she needs our help. She's leading in the polls, but the general election starts today, and she's facing former governor Tommy Thompson, who won last night's Republican primary after spending the last seven years peddling his influence to big corporations in Washington, D.C.

Thompson and his out-of-state corporate backers have already targeted Tammy with hundreds of thousands of dollars in negative ads, and there are lots more coming. So Tammy needs our help to keep her lead and win in November. Will you join thousands of progressives nationwide in contributing to Cheddarbomb 2.0 today?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:08 pm

This struck me as funny while I was watching Tommy's acceptance speech last night. All through the campaigning he distanced himself from Walker, then as soon as the votes came in it seemed like they were best friends. Tonette Walker was upstairs with the Tommy camp before he came down to make his speech. I wouldn't have mided Tommy up until that point. Sounding like he wants to boost Walker's agenda scared the piss out of me and turned me far away from voting for him.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby athabasca » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am

It is interesting that Tommy setup BadgerCare and probably agrees with Obamacare.

I dunno, Huckleby -- did you hear any of those ads where Tommy boomed out a list of his priorities, including "repeal Obamacare"?

The word "Obamacare" was all but dripping with venom and contempt.

If Tommy actually secretly agrees with Obamacare, he has been lying emphatically throughout the campaign so far.
athabasca

Postby Huckleby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm

athabasca wrote: If Tommy actually secretly agrees with Obamacare, he has been lying emphatically throughout the campaign so far.

I'm scandalized.

The next thing you are going to tell me is that Mitt Romney secretly is proud of the health care he established in Massachussettes, and thinks it would be good model for the whole country.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Jademan7 wrote:This struck me as funny while I was watching Tommy's acceptance speech last night. All through the campaigning he distanced himself from Walker, then as soon as the votes came in it seemed like they were best friends. Tonette Walker was upstairs with the Tommy camp before he came down to make his speech. I wouldn't have mided Tommy up until that point. Sounding like he wants to boost Walker's agenda scared the piss out of me and turned me far away from voting for him.

By embracing Walker, he's cementing his favor among dyed-in-the-wool Republicans, but he's jeopardizing his appeal among swing voters and 90s-era Tommy voters.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:37 am

Huckleby wrote:Tammy is percieved as a leftist, meaning the most liberal of liberals.
Tommy is percieved as a moderate Republican, the last of dying breed.

I don't see how Tammy possibly overcomes such a headwind in garnering swing voters. She is perhaps more energetic, a better debator.

It is interesting that Tommy setup BadgerCare and probably agrees with Obamacare. Tammy is a healthcare expert. I hope Tammy points out the cynical shifts in Tommy's positions, if only for entertainment purposes.

Huck-

I don't think the Tommy statement is correct any more. He had to say too much "crap" in the primary to show off his Tea Party street smarts. TT is no longer a moderate and hanging out with Walker further pushes him to the right.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:17 am

HawkHead wrote:I don't think the Tommy statement is correct any more. He had to say too much "crap" in the primary to show off his Tea Party street smarts. TT is no longer a moderate and hanging out with Walker further pushes him to the right.

I don't see where we we disagree. I believe that Mitt Romney & Tommy Thompson are moderates at heart. Neither has the courage, or maybe the word is option, to stand-up to the Tea Party. Governing on basis of compromise is now verbotten in Republican Party. The Republicans can and will change - but that is not in sight.

Thompson is going to vote with the party on 100% of the critical votes, no question about that, because this it is how Washington works today.

It is sad that the Democrats had no candidate available other than the admirable but unelectable Tammy Baldwin. Dems are out of touch with the people. The constant harkening back to Russ Feingold to be the savior shows just how thin the Democratic bench truly is. WI is transforming from purple to red.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:52 am

Tommy is pulling a Romney.

Former Gov. Tommy Thompson used to be pretty open about his finances. When he was governor of Wisconsin for the better part of 14 years, and during his four years as George W. Bush's secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, he often complained about not making enough money.

And he regularly released his tax returns.

When he left Bush's Cabinet, he bluntly declared that he was going to "make some money."

And he did. Millions and millions of dollars.

But now, as he competes with Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin to see who will replace U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl, he says he won't release his tax returns.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 am

Huckleby wrote:
HawkHead wrote:I don't think the Tommy statement is correct any more. He had to say too much "crap" in the primary to show off his Tea Party street smarts. TT is no longer a moderate and hanging out with Walker further pushes him to the right.

I don't see where we we disagree. I believe that Mitt Romney & Tommy Thompson are moderates at heart. Neither has the courage, or maybe the word is option, to stand-up to the Tea Party. Governing on basis of compromise is now verbotten in Republican Party. The Republicans can and will change - but that is not in sight.

Thompson is going to vote with the party on 100% of the critical votes, no question about that, because this it is how Washington works today.

It is sad that the Democrats had no candidate available other than the admirable but unelectable Tammy Baldwin. Dems are out of touch with the people. The constant harkening back to Russ Feingold to be the savior shows just how thin the Democratic bench truly is. WI is transforming from purple to red.

Sorry, I was talking about cross-over voters. By going Tea Party I think it closes the door on many potential voters for Tommy.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 am

The newly happy situation in Missouri has me gnashing my teeth all over again about our misfortunes in Wisconsin.

Sending politicians to the Senate that will best represent us has lost all relevance at this moment in history. We are in a pivotal battle to see whether the Republicans can get 50 votes in the Senate and change the trajectory of the country.

Claire McCaskill, the Dem Missouri Senator, was trailing Todd Akin in her race. But even without the "legitimate rape" fiasco, she was relieved to run against a tea party candidate, it gave her a chance. Missouri has turned more conservative.

Same political climate in WI, a purple state trending red.

I can not think of a more electable candidate than Tommy Thompson that the Republicans might have run. It was just a quirk (split vote among tea party) that allowed him to eke through the primary.

On the Dem side, can you think of a plausible candidate who would be weaker state-wide than Tammy Baldwin?

I really like Tammy Baldwin, her election would be a dream come true. She's an excellent debator, IMO, maybe she can make TT look befuddled on TV.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Democrats challenge Thompson to release tax returns

With their Republican opponent set in the U.S. Senate race, Democrats have wasted little time going after Tommy Thompson and his refusal to release his tax records.

Tammy Baldwin released 10 years of tax returns in May, and the Democratic candidate has called on Thompson to do the same. But Thompson has emphatically refused, with his campaign saying he would only release them after he's elected.

Trust me he says.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:00 pm

But Thompson has emphatically refused, with his campaign saying he would only release them after he's elected.

Bullshit. What would be the point of releasing them after the election?

In the fine approach of many a conservative: Tommy (and Mitt), if you've got nothing to hide, what's the problem?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:37 pm

condor0523 wrote:Anything coming from Tammy's camp?

I'd guess it's the same, tired, old and worn out 60s leftist burnout slogans. But on the bright side, I can't wait to see a madison lesbian leftist and the DNC trying to camoflague her man hating leftist worldview, only to be there with another angry leftist New Democrat lesbian, fluke, telling people that even lesbians can have so much sex on a daily basis that everyone needs to pay for their birth control.

Fluke? Can one fluke 6 times a day and still need you, your brother, sister, mother, father, etc. to pay for her birth control?
Shouldn't fluke be back in that Catholic university's law school she enrolled in, after her 4 year gay/lesbian/transgendered studies degree?

Or didn't that degree get her anywhere in the real world other than to be just another wedge in the new democrat party's effort to split this formerly great nation?

I have great idea for the now leftist democrat party convention:

"I fluke do much, you need to pay for my contraception!"
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 pm

It is interesting that Tommy setup BadgerCare and probably agrees with Obamacare.

BadgerCare is run by the state as is proper.

ObamaCare is run by the federal government which has no constitutional authority.

Government run healthcare belongs at the state level.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government