MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

What do you read for FUN?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

What do you read for FUN?

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:03 pm

OK yes, reading is fun, at least for me it is. I was the kid staying up late at night to finish the next teeneybopper novel that was out. One time I got caught up late at night with my books and guess what my punishment was ... no TV! Funny, did the punishment fit the crime there? I guess the folks didn't want to take away my books.

I thought of this thread idea for two reasons. Because I read all day long, I usually watch TV at night to unwind (my fav. shows on DVR). When I do get into a book, I mentioned I like comics for lighthearted fun, and for my deviate side, I love reading Chuck Palahniuk, and I also think David Sedaris is funny, although I wouldn't want to be related to him. Before I decided on publishing, I played with the idea of being a high school English teacher, and in the one year of classes I took, what I got out of them relating to this topic is that as along as kids (or anyone) is reading, it's a good thing. Whatever they are reading (comics, anime, vampire novels), at least they are reading.

The second reason (besides wanting to know what forons read for fun, not just what they post in the "So what are you reading thread," myself included) leads me to a Mitt Romney interview last week where he would not disclose what he reads for fun:
One of the lesser-noticed, but perhaps most telling, moments during Mitt Romney‘s interview with Fox News’ Bret Baier Tuesday night came toward the end, at the start of Baier’s “lightning round.”

Asked what book he’s read most recently, Romney said, “I’m reading sort of a fun one right now, so I’ll skip that,” adding, “I just read ‘Decision Points’ by President Bush.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/mitt-romney-refuses-to-tell-bret-baier-what-fun-book-hes-reading/ [bottom of page for video clip]
city2countrygal
Forum Addict

Re: What do you read for FUN?

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm probably a reading geek. I love the books.

Right now I'm reading "Dedstiny of the Republic" by Candice Millard and "HTML5 for5 iOS and Adroid. Go figure. I also love good mysteries, SF, Fiction, non-fiction... books rule.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Fun? Science fiction, definitely. Spider Robinson for *real* fun, Jack McDevitt for great stories. I rarely read in the fantasy genre, Xanth and Discworld novels being about the only exceptions.

I've bought very few books in the last few years. The last I can recall buying were by Rosemary Sutcliff, who wrote a Roman Britain trilogy back in the 1950's, beginning with "The Eagle of the Ninth". I got that as a discard from the school library, and bought the other two from Amazon.

Since I have access to the school discards, I just pick through for whatever looks interesting. It isn't exactly what I might pick up at Half Price books, but it's still a good selection of stuff to read.

I'm re-reading Michener's "Centennial" just now. Historical fiction is another in my "fun reads" category, obviously.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Science fiction, fantasy, mysteries, historical fiction, biography (especially when I can find both biographies and autobiographies of writers because seeing how they spin incidents is fun)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:02 am

Just finished reading Ben Mezrich's book Sex on the Moon. The prose style is clunky, the plot is a bit thin, and the book is so unashamedly aimed at Hollywood that reading it feels a bit dirty. You won't miss much if you skip the book and wait for the movie that will inevitably, inexorably follow.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby L_White » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:25 am

James Herriot books, O. Henry, and other light classics.
My big secret is Saki (H.H. Munro) - there, it's out! This author is amazing, and his works give me a kick every time =)
L_White

Postby Remember_Me » Tue May 08, 2012 5:03 pm

I have a box in the basement that has only Dean Koontz paperbacks in it from my teen years.

I'll impulsively grab a random one out of it every few months or so and knock it out in a night or two.

The cover on Watchers is on it's last legs.

Damn I love that dog.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

I just re-read John Galt's monologue from Atlas Shrugged over and over again.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I haven't read a lot "just for fun" in the last ten years. Let me correct that: I guess I usually read non-fiction works "just for fun." Recently I've read a lot on the financial meltdown. Before that it was Middle Eastern issues and the wars there. I read Bob Woodward's books. And also stuff on global climate change. Most people would find them boring, but also I read non-fiction that reads like fiction: Seabiscuit, several books on Tombstone and the Earps.

I tried to get into Harry Potter and Twilight series because I wanted to stay relevant to the younger generation. I got through the first book in each series, but didn't find it interesting enough to keep reading.

My brother and I decided to re-read some of the classics we had to read in high school, just to see if they had gotten any better (or worse) with age (ours). I found out I actually like Jane Austin.

Over the last two months I've been reading the Steig Larrson trilogy.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twigz2011 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 am

Just read Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Quick read and entertaining. Looking forward to the film.
Twigz2011

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:23 am

I known about John Le Carre as long as I can remember but had never read him.

In March, I was in Costco and they had the DVD of Tinker Tailor on special, I was flying the next day so I got it to watch on the plane. I was hooked. I watched the movie 3-4 times in the next week.

Since then I've read:

Tinker Tailor
The spy who came in from the cold
Smiley's people
Honorable schoolboy
Single and Single
A Most wanted man

Most of them seemed to start off slow and I keep thinking, "Nope, not this one". Then I get 20 pages into it and am hooked and read it in a day or 2.

I have Our Kind of Traitor cued up to start when I finish James Likeks book "Falling up the stairs"

I've also watched on Netflix Tinker tailor and Smileys people miniseries with Alec Guiness and they were both fantastic. Also several other movies from LeCarre books.

I dunno. I think I am obsessing a bit, aren't I?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Talk about fun. You guys have GOT to check this one out.

"The Truck Food Cookbook: 150 recipes and ramblings from America's Best Restaurants on Wheels." Available on loan at Madison Public Library.

Several awesome Madison food trucks are mentioned and I'm betting you've tried one of them. Buraka, Dandelion, Jamerica, LMN O' Pies just to name a few that we love. Many more aren't in the book but we love 'em anyway.
Many are included in the book from various areas across the United States--good resource if you're planning a vacation. The book includes of history of Truck Food plus select recipes!! We all know they won't give out their secret ingredient or special technique, not including culinary experience taking the heat in the kitchen, but it is cool they are willing to share this.

Warning: do not expect these recipes to all be figure friendly but what a delicious way to go... once in a while.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Books