MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Mitt Romney 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Mitt Romney 2012

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:06 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Being an atheist does not make one non-Muslim as I understand it. Did Obama's father ever renounce Islam? Was he an apostate? If so, then perhaps the chain was broken. But I don't think he was an apostate. Even if he was, I am still not clear that the chain was broken.

Boy. This must be a very important point if we have to be so certain of it.

Everyone must be made aware that Obama is a technical Muslim. Just for the sake of clarity. We must keep connecting that word to Obama.

That's not reprehensible. It's fair. Balanced, even.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:11 am

So he's "technically a Muslim" based on YOUR personal interpretation of the Koran for a class (presumably) many, many years ago?

I, for one, am not convinced.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am

rabble wrote:Huh. From that politifact article:
And even this definition is problematic since President Obama's father did not identify as a Muslim when Obama was born, said Ken Garden, a professor of religion at Tufts University who studies Islam. "If Obama's father became an atheist, then he would not have been a Muslim at the time of Obama's birth, so Obama would not have been, even technically, a Muslim," said Garden.

Oh, these damn technicalities. They are reprehensible.

johnfajardohenry wrote:My understanding...

My recollection...

Once one becomes a Muslim, as I understand it...

Being an atheist does not make one non-Muslim as I understand it.
John Henry

Tufts University professor of religion Ken Garden seems confident in what he's saying, perhaps you can confirm and correct what you think you might know or remember with him.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:My understanding of Obama being technically Muslim is based on having read the Koran and written a research paper on Islam in a comparative religion class. (more years ago than I care to admit)

My recollection plus subsequent casual reading over the years is that regardless of whether Obama's father was an atheist or not, Islam still passes through him to the son.

Ah, deep philosophical thought from a seminarian. One nutjob appraising another nutjob's nutjobbiness. The bizarre notion that some special Muslim aura passes on to your children is so fucking idiotic that it's not really worth discussing. My father grew up Roman Catholic, does that make me a Catholic or just a Christian?

For a guy who's all about liberty, free will, free thought and the like, you have some rather goofy notions about religion.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:41 am

Hereditary religion? Many of us would qualify as members of many different religions using that theory....but never fear, we can all become Mormon posthumously just like Romney's father-in-law.
http://gawker.com/5879888/
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:01 pm

peripat wrote:Hereditary religion? Many of us would qualify as members of many different religions using that theory....but never fear, we can all become Mormon posthumously just like Romney's father-in-law.
http://gawker.com/5879888/

No, we can't. Didn't you get the memo? You can be born Jewish or Muslim. Not Christian.

They didn't mention it specifically but I assume you can't be a technical pagan or Wiccan either.

Native American, certainly. For that, you actually need a bloodline check and you need to be registered and there's a certain cutoff percentage. I think it's one sixtyfourth. For North American indigenous, technical is all there is. The spirituality part doesn't come into play for that one till later.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Obama is a Muslim!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:05 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
DCB wrote:allegedly-Christian-but-secretly-Muslim Obama.

So are you saying that Obama is not Muslim, at least technically?

No; I'm saying that technically, you're a racist asshole.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 pm

rabble wrote:They didn't mention it specifically but I assume you can't be a technical pagan or Wiccan either.

Really? I was thinking this vortex on my farm qualified me technically.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Upon further clarification, it is my understanding that if you use the phrases "it is my understanding" and/or "as I understand it" when you explain how that vortex grants you a technical, it's binding.

That's allowed even after making the claim. ie if you say you're a technical pagan and somebody questions your reasoning just throw out those phrases, mention that you once wrote a paper on it, and you're good.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:33 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The Koch brothers[/url] are spending millions (more) for a pro-Romney, anti-Obama TV ad campaign.

Speaking of the Koch Brothers, this kind of interesting:

http://www.owsgeneralassembly.org

That is interesting. The KochGOP tentacles have so much time and money they reach out to squat on domain names of protest movements.

Thanks for the tip.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 am

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:06 am

pjbogart wrote:Ah, deep philosophical thought from a seminarian.

A seminarian?

Really?

I took a course in Comparative Religion which looked at all the religions of the world. I did this because it was a required course on the way to a science degree.

It was a required course in that school (InterAmerican University) for any degree.

I am hardly a seminarian.

It was a very interesting course on the history and teachings of the world's major religions including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and others.

I think everyone should take a course like this. Doesn't matter what or whether one believes, it is useful information since the world is so much shaped by religion.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:12 am

O.J. wrote:Image

All the hoorah about Romney's taxes is hilarious. Think of all the (demmie) money, time and effort that is being spent on this.

I suspect that Romney is laughing up his sleeve.

I am willing to bet $5 that come September, or maybe even October, Romney will release all his tax returns and we will find that there is nothing untoward in any of them.

Then what will the demmies do? "Oopsie, never mind."?

He might do it sooner if the Demmies seem to be getting any traction with this line. So far they don't seem to be.

So anyone want to take my $5 bet?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 am

Oh, no. I'd never take that bet. I'm too scared that Romney's purposely keeping his tax records a secret so he can spring them on an unsuspecting Obama at the worst possible time.

Like, maybe, after it's too late to vet them before the election.

What a shrewd political move.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 am

Name an actual date that you think he will release his tax forms, and I'll take you up on the bet, provided that the loser pays it to a charitable venture.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government