MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

window replacement

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

window replacement

Postby anaranjado » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for window replacement service? I have just one double-paned window that needs to be replaced in my home. Thanks.
anaranjado

Re: window replacement

Postby fennel » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 pm

martinglassmadison.com

If they can't do the installation, they'll know who can. I've used them a few times.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 pm

You probably meant double-hung.
Regardless, for just one window, the bigger companies aren't going to give you much of a deal, so you need a smaller, independent carpenter.
Call Brunsell Lumber for a referral. They are really nice folks and will only recommend a skilled tradesman.
If you want to do it on the cheap, buy the window at Home Depot and hire a handyman to install it.
Before you have anyone come over, you need to decide if you want a new construction window or a replacement window.
Explanation in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48796&p=609042
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Are you trying to replace the whole window (for energy efficiency, appearance, or some other reason) or just the glass (because it's broken or fogged, for example)?

That's two different procedures and two different possible sets of recommendations.

All things being equal, I'd think you want to replace the whole window (frame and glass) because newer windows usually have built-in thermal breaks in the frame that help insulate your home's interior, along with other improvements in efficiency, like glass with a coating to keep out heat from the sun's rays in summer, etc.

I had good luck with Champion Windows for custom replacements, if you want a recommendation for a place that does the whole job from start to finish. This is a nice competitive home repair sector and you've got lots of good companies to choose from.

One suggestion: if you have other windows in your house that have already been replaced and you are satisfied with them, find out the brand of window (it's usually on a sticker on the side) and then find a company that will sell and install that same brand for you. Otherwise you could end up with slightly mismatched windows, if you care.

If you are trying to match original or historically correct windows, pay attention to what other people have said previous to my post. I'm just talking about new upgrade windows here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe